• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
EMT are offering a voucher entitling you to £10 off Advance fares. It's right on their homepage. Www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gents, this is a seriously good offer. Just got a London-Nottingham ticket, First Advance, for £1.20. And the return too! £2.40 for a return trip Christmas shopping!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
EMT are offering a voucher entitling you to £10 off Advance fares. It's right on their homepage. Www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gents, this is a seriously good offer. Just got a London-Nottingham ticket, First Advance, for £1.20. And the return too! £2.40 for a return trip Christmas shopping!

How did you manage that when it says the tickets have a £10 minimum value, and you can only use one voucher per booking?

Also, are there any interesting (I like historical places, museums etc.) places I can go, taking advantage of this offer?

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
*Cough*

Maybe. ;)

Just remember that tickets bought in this promotion can only be received using First Class post (i.e. not ToD). If 50 people happened to live at one house and all bought First Advance tickets at £1.20 with a particular type of Railcard, that would look a bit suspicious... ;)

Bungle73

On Moderation
OK, I've got my vouchers. I've just got to work out where I can go now....

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
You need to collect two vouchers from the Clitheroe Advertiser & Times and register on the Northern site to download a form then take it along with the vouchers along to a Northern staffed station to buy the ticket entitling you to a day's unlimited travel on Northern trains services.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
You need to collect two vouchers from the Clitheroe Advertiser & Times and register on the Northern site to download a form then take it along with the vouchers along to a Northern staffed station to buy the ticket entitling you to a day's unlimited travel on Northern trains services.

Are you sure? There's no mention of this on the Clitheroe Advertiser & Times' own website.

http://www.clitheroeadvertiser.co.uk/lifestyle/offers

If you do have details, how often is the paper published and for how many issues will they print the vouchers?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
There was details of the offer on page 31 of the issue on October 20th.

Reading through it you would need to get a copy of the October 13th and October 20th issues as those two editions have the tokens with the October 20th edition having the details.

Are you sure? There's no mention of this on the Clitheroe Advertiser & Times' own website.

Offers - Clitheroe Advertiser and Times

If you do have details, how often is the paper published and for how many issues will they print the vouchers?

I remember the last offer for these vouchers, you needed 2 vouchers from various Lancashire based newspapers I think Lancashire Evening Post was one of them. As I don’t live in the immediate area I simply ordered my copies from the publishers. The address I found on the web is in Preston. If you do a search I am sure you will find them I purchased 4 newspapers ( for 2 people) at a cost of £5 which included postage.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
There was details of the offer on page 31 of the issue on October 20th.

Reading through it you would need to get a copy of the October 13th and October 20th issues as those two editions have the tokens with the October 20th edition having the details.

Ah, thanks for letting me know but it seems I'm too late.

Very annoying that Northern Rail seem to be restricting this £10 offer to local papers in Lancashire; I've been waiting for them to do something similar for Yorkshire but so far nothing has appeared.

Bungle73

On Moderation
East Coast are offering double reward points on EC First Advance tickets for one week only.

RYS

My book of 5 tickets has just arrived in the post today. They are the scratch and laminate type that someone suggested they would be, and you have to write the stations on them yourself, so they don't all need to be for the same journey. Must say I'm quite pleased!

Will be interesting to see if the NXEA barrier staff at Cambridge will know what it is when I show them.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
My book of 5 tickets has just arrived in the post today. They are the scratch and laminate type that someone suggested they would be, and you have to write the stations on them yourself, so they don't all need to be for the same journey. Must say I'm quite pleased!

Will be interesting to see if the NXEA barrier staff at Cambridge will know what it is when I show them.

I hope so - I'm intending to use it to Cambridge a few times. Hope mine arrive before Monday so I can bring them back south with me.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Yes they will - as I used my free (as a season ticket holder) ones to go to Cambridge.

You have to mark the origin and destination, but rather than go from Hatfield (on a Sunday) to WGC and change, to get another slow train, we went via King's Cross to get two fast trains - which technically breaches the rules on the reverse - but I asked staff before we went and we were given permission as it was a quicker route and there's nothing to say 'not London'.

With hindsight, that could have been a major problem if another RPI had a differing view when we arrived at King's Cross, which clearly isn't Cambridge as a destination - nor was it the origin for the journey to Cambridge.

Not had my tickets yet, but have already had some stuff from FGW, so I guess they've added me to a list for the whole of First group. I would have given permission for this, mind.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes they will - as I used my free (as a season ticket holder) ones to go to Cambridge.

Have they been doing those for long? I got 4 free 1st class ones when it was WAGN but was disappointed when FCC took over and didn't do any offers for season ticket holders.

We went to Cambridge on my 1st class ones - but they were stamped with the wrong date at my departure station and when we returned in the evening the state of first class was disgraceful - we sat in standard instead.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
FCC still offer benefits to Gold Card owners, but don't try very hard to let anyone know.

They are sneaky enough to make you apply for them too, via the website, rather than simply send them out when you buy the ticket (or even hand them out if you get the ticket from a ticket office).

I'd write in and complain to see if you can get what you've missed out on (which is just two passes/return journeys a year - so hardly much!).

I forgot that it was four passes with Wagn - you're right, it was. FCC will probably give one ticket next year, valid for the season ticket holder and only for the same route. :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
FCC still offer benefits to Gold Card owners, but don't try very hard to let anyone know.

They are sneaky enough to make you apply for them too, via the website, rather than simply send them out when you buy the ticket (or even hand them out if you get the ticket from a ticket office).

I'd write in and complain to see if you can get what you've missed out on (which is just two passes/return journeys a year - so hardly much!).

I forgot that it was four passes with Wagn - you're right, it was. FCC will probably give one ticket next year, valid for the season ticket holder and only for the same route. :)

Ah, it's a few years ago now - I'll let it pass. I've moved and just use EC to London now. But at the time I couldn't find anything you got even though I looked. I'll treat these ones as standing in for them.

trevmonk

Southern are offering a £25 iTunes voucher for online annual season renewals, or £10 vouchers for monthly seasons over £100.

It doesn't say you can't buy a season for another operator so the deal might be attractive if your local operator doesn't offer any freebies.

It's valid until 31 Jan next year and they post the voucher together with the season.

Details here: http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/renew-season-online/

parkender102

Mine also arrived this week - I assume each ticket (5) is valid for 1 return journey per ticket i.e. 1 ticket covers London KX to Cambridge and Return on the same day (think you are allowed till 02:30 the following day to complete the journey). It says something on the back of the tickets regard 'Return Journey' but it's not evident on the front of the ticket.

I'm intending to use mine for a couple of midweek nights out visiting decent pubs in Brighton and Cambridge as I'm based in London Central working during the week.

I assume I will be OK taking a bicycle on First Capital Connect services after 19:00 in the evening?

By the way I also applied for tickets via the wife's email address (but also the same postal address) - no tickets arrived. I'd not read the T+C's before applying.

A pretty good deal really as a Cambridge to London Return is £30 Off Peak so these free tickets represent £150 worth of travel!

stut

Established Member
Yup, 19:00 for a non-folding bike south of Stevenage (weekdays, with the flow, etc.)

With the busier services, if you get there early, there's some handy tip-up seats by the disabled loos on the 365s (assuming no wheelchair pax).

All Line Rover

Established Member
Virgin's First Class Seat Sale starts November 23rd, for travel between December 10th and January 22nd.

o £17 between stations to and from West Midlands one way
o £24 between stations to and from Stafford & Stoke-on-Trent one way
o £28 between stations to and from North West one way
o £30 between stations to and from North Wales & Cumbria one way
o £40 between stations to and from Scotland one way

Prices to/from the West Midlands and Stafford/Stoke are slightly lower than last time, whilst all other fares are slightly higher. To be fair to Virgin, the new prices better reflect the different distances involved.

Tickets will be available to book through ALL booking engines. Child discounts apply. Railcard discounts do NOT apply.

More details here: http://traveltrade.virgintrains.co.uk/2011/11/first-class-seat-sale.html

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
Here :)

First Class Seat Sale
After the success of our previous First Class seat sales, Virgin Trains will be re launching this promotion, and it will be available for bookings from 23 November – 29 November inclusive.

Advance ticket type FIS will be used and will be available, through all channels, for travel between 10 December 2011 – 22 January 2012 inclusive.50, 000 tickets will go on sale on selected routes. This fare will be available in all retailing systems and will be a great opportunity to up sell passengers from standard class to First Class.

Example London Euston fares as follows:

o £17 between stations to and from West Midlands one way
o £24 between stations to and from Stafford & Stoke-on-Trent one way
o £28 between stations to and from North West one way
o £30 between stations to and from North Wales & Cumbria one way
o £40 between stations to and from Scotland one way

Terms and Conditions

• Fares are available on selected Virgin Trains services only.
• Tickets are non-refundable.
• Change of travel is available up to the departure on payment of a £10 admin fee plus the difference of the new applicable fare.
• Child Discounts apply.
• Other discounts including Railcards do not apply.
• The offer will end on 29 November or until 50,000 journeys have been booked.
• Tickets are available for booking from 23 November - 29 November inclusive.
• Tickets are available for travel from 10 December 2011 – 22 January 2012 inclusive.
• Seat reservations are compulsory and free of charge for both outward and return journeys, and are only valid when travelling on Virgin Trains. Customers must travel on the trains and seats they reserve. If customers travel on different dates or trains, they will have to purchase a new ticket at the full fare

On 23 December the First Class service offered will include breakfast as normal, with Light Bites offered for the remainder of the day. There is no evening meal served on this day. From 27 December 2011 – 2 January 2012, snacks will be offered throughout the day as part of the First Class service. No meals will be served during this time. From 3 January, full First Class service will resume on Virgin Train services.

swadbus

Special East Coast offer for travel between Edinburgh and London, limited number of tickets and only on certain trains on tues, wed and thurs.

http://allaboard.scotsman.com/

£10 each way standard
£25 each way first class

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Special East Coast offer for travel between Edinburgh and London, limited number of tickets and only on certain trains on tues, wed and thurs.

http://allaboard.scotsman.com/

£10 each way standard
£25 each way first class

Hmmm. I was thinking of visiting Edinburgh, but I wasn't going go to until later on next year (maybe June) when the days are longer and the weather is better.

Looks like a good deal though.

bengolding

If there are any future very good rail offers, e.g. the recent FCC ticket giveaway or the £10 discount offered by EMT, please can you post them in the main forum so others don't miss out? It's rather unfair there is a separate thread in the main NR Forum about whether people have received their FCC tickets but no mention at all in that forum previously as to them being available so I missed out :(.