• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Golghar

This time it's going to be a numismatic question:
The following image shows the reverse and obverse of a 1948 GeorgeVI florin. Can you find an error in the inscription on the coin?

51X7zbNzlTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Golghar

No, the entire range of denominations from a farthing to half-crown was issued in 1948 but you are right inasmuch as it has to do with the year.

Golghar

No, it has nothing t do with the typeface: the "error" is in the actual text of the engraving. The old florins and shillings were withdrawn from circulation when the smaller 10p and 5p coins were issued but in case you still have a George VI coin from 1949 or later lying around at home you can see that the error was rectified after 1948.

Golghar

Yes, that's right. The Indian Empire ceased to exist with the creation of the Dominions of India and Pakistan in 1947. This was overlooked when making the dies for the 1948 coins which differed from the 1947 and earlier coins just in the date. From 1949 onwards the "surplus" text was omitted. If they had replaced Indiae Imperator with Indiae Rex they would have had to include all the other Dominions as well.

Over to you now, Paul!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Philately...without the pictures

The Great Britain 1858-1864 Penny Red issue with plate numbers 71 to 225 is the most diverse series of plate numbers, Everyone looks for a copy of the plate 77 stamp, but some plate numbers were never issued. What were the THREE numerical plate numbers of these unissued stamps from this numerical plate series ?

Do not mention the trial plates 69 and 70 in your answer.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
It's off to Deepdale for the next question...

Preston North End went unbeaten in the first ever Football League (1888-89), and retained their title the following year. They have not won it since.

What is the closest they have come since then, and when was it? Additionally, when did they last play in the top flight?

gnolife

Established Member
PNE ran up in the top-flight of English football in the following seasons; 1890/91, 1891/92, 1892/93, 1905/06, 1952/53, and 1957/57. They haven't played top flight football since the 1960/61 season.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The following three seasons after those championship winning years..1890/1, 1891/2 and 1893/4 saw them in the runners-up position. 1905/6, 1952/3 and 1957/8 were also years when they were runners-up.

Preston North End have not been in the highest league division since 1961.

gnolife

Established Member
Oh and Preston North End? and you're from Southend. Is there some sort of conspiracy there?

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
All of the above is correct (barring the odd typo), but one of those runner-up seasons stands out among the others. First to declare it correctly wins the floor.

Oh and Preston North End? and you're from Southend. Is there some sort of conspiracy there?

I was reading up on early seasons of the football league earlier. That is where the question came from. Remember that other North End clubs have existed before, such as Glossop North End; even Bury nearly became Manchester North End at one point.

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
All of the above is correct, but one of those runner-up seasons stands out among the others. First to declare it correctly wins the floor.

I was reading up on early seasons of the football league earlier. That is where the question came from. Remember that other North End clubs have existed before, such as Glossop North End; even Bury nearly became Manchester North End at one point.

Would you be referring to 1890/91 because a certain bunch of scousers that you seem to like for some strange reason won the league for the first time that season?

gnolife

Established Member
52-53 - Preston were tied for points with Arsenal, with two West Midlandshire teams in 3rd and 4th.

gnolife

Established Member
In which Stephen King story would you find the character Ellis Redding (please give the name of the story as it appears in the book, rather than in the film adaptation). Also, state what it is that he feels makes him unique among the characters within that story, and finally, state the thing that he has a change of heart about.

Golghar

I knew that Ellis Redding was the character played by Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption and that the film was based on a story by Stephen King. But I hadn't realized the name of the story as it appears in print is different from the title of the film. As I looked that up I am not entitled to answer the first question. To be able to answer the other two I'd have to read the book. I saw the film several years ago and don't remember much more than the outline of the plot.

gnolife

Established Member
I've not got time to wait for the answers I wanted for this,so I'm just going to give them
1) Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption (I would have accepted Hope Springs Eternal as well)
2) The fact that hes willing to admit what he did (commited murder), whereas, from what he's found, everyone else trys to claim innocence
3) Hope.
and open the floor.