• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 7.39?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1978

Anyone know which was the 'home' station?

Looked to me to be a Southern operated stations. The South West trains may or may not be a red herring!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just in case anyone is wondering this thread is talking about this TV programme ;)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm pretty sure that it's an SWT station. I thought it was Woking initially, but that may well be wrong.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that it's an SWT station. I thought it was Woking initially, but that may well be wrong.

lRuxdcO.jpg

I thought Woking initially as well, it does look like Woking's canopy, plus the building behind is familiar. I think it is Woking!

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
I was going for Woking as well.
The "town centre" scenes look like Guildford though- can anyone else confirm?

Pumbaa

Established Member
It is Woking. They spent a good few weeks earlier last year on and around the station.

johntea

Established Member
Just watching a drama on the BBC iPlayer about some romance that develops with 2 commuters on the '7:39' train service to Waterloo (Not sure where they board the train!).

Anyway does anyone know how they filmed it? As I imagine they can't stick a camera crew and actors on a random train! (Presumably they filmed a lot of the train scenes in one go!)

asylumxl

Established Member
Just watching a drama on the BBC iPlayer about some romance that develops with 2 commuters on the '7:39' train service to Waterloo (Not sure where they board the train!).

Anyway does anyone know how they filmed it? As I imagine they can't stick a camera crew and actors on a random train! (Presumably they filmed a lot of the train scenes in one go!)

I've not seen the show, nor do I want to, but I will hazard a guess that most scenes would have been taken in a static location with the views out the window composited in later.

steamybrian

Established Member
I've not seen the show, nor do I want to, but I will hazard a guess that most scenes would have been taken in a static location with the views out the window composited in later.

Rather than hazard a guess -I would suggest you watch the show and then form an opinion.
The scenes through the windows seemed real to me (not composited later) and I identified most locations were on the 4 track line between Woking and Waterloo. There were some quick glimpses of some double track railway but would have to see "still photos" to confirm this.

TEW

Established Member
I was going for Woking as well.
The "town centre" scenes look like Guildford though- can anyone else confirm?

Doesn't look like Guildford to me, definitely not Woking town centre either though.

grid56126

David Morrisey - the actor in it - was interviewed a few days before and said that the train scenes were shot on Saturday mornings using a special train and lots of extras and also said the Waterloo shots were similarly done on Saturday mornings.

Morrisey, said a lot of people were already / would compare it to "Brief Encounter" but in reality it would be completely different, he was right and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I suspect quite a few men and women watching it had some uncomfortable moments of recollection.

TEW

Established Member
Makes sense that it was filmed on a Saturday morning, didn't exactly feel like peak time at Waterloo.

Phirstman

If it was Woking it would be an inaccuracy as the programme regularly made reference to '2-hour commutes'. Oh and there isn't a 07:39 anyway! ;)

I thought I heard the automated announcer say 'calling at Guildford, Woking and Waterloo' at one point so I think the script intended them to come from a further station. Of course where the scenes were actually filmed is a different matter entirely!

Quite enjoyed the programme though, rarely watch this sort of TV but was decent enough. First episode was slightly better than the second.

wensley

Established Member
Not normally my cup of tea, but I thought I'd watch it and see what I thought - the storyline was a bit predictable and the 'happy ever after' was a bit of an anticlimax but to be fair I rather enjoyed it, certainly made a good two-parter :lol:

Didn't pay an awful lot of attention to the 'train value', but the drama was decent!

asylumxl

Established Member
Rather than hazard a guess -I would suggest you watch the show and then form an opinion.

I'll pass, thank you. It does not sound like a show I would enjoy to be honest.

The scenes through the windows seemed real to me (not composited later) and I identified most locations were on the 4 track line between Woking and Waterloo. There were some quick glimpses of some double track railway but would have to see "still photos" to confirm this.

Well....

Most of the train shots were filmed on a static 444 in platform 6 at Woking last spring.

;)

Last edited:

crispy1978

I really enjoyed the show. First was better than second. Thought the second episode was rushed and could have extended in to a third or fourth episode quite easily.

Really enjoyed Sheridan Smith's part in it - thought she played it really well.

Would rather watch these sorts of shows than the reality dross!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Didn't see much but it looked pretty good. Certainly better than something like Celebrity Big Brother, although of course one needs more attention than the other.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
If it was Woking it would be an inaccuracy as the programme regularly made reference to '2-hour commutes'. Oh and there isn't a 07:39 anyway! ;)

I took it that the characters were referring to an hour a day each way.

Quite enjoyed the programme though, rarely watch this sort of TV but was decent enough. First episode was slightly better than the second.

I agree. Mrs Greenback proclaimed the first episode 'wonderful' but confessed that she didn't enjoy the second one quite so much.

I thought it was Ok, a bit different from the usual crime drama we get!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Imagine how different it would have been if just as they were about to get close on the train, they were interrupted by an RPI asking for their tickets... The moment lost. The spark gone...!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Imagine how different it would have been if just as they were about to get close on the train, they were interrupted by an RPI asking for their tickets... The moment lost. The spark gone...!

I was hoping that would happen when they went in first class. There would have been no need for a second episode then! :lol:

Bedpan

Established Member
Town Centre is Church Street in Twickenham.

Yes, they are outside the Eel Pie pub in Church Street at the beginning.

Bearing in mind that they lived in an anonymous town, I thought that there were surprisingly few inaccuracies or flaws, although I was surprised that the 7.41 had a trolley service, as announced when they got on the train on the first morning, and also there was a scene at Waterloo after the train had arrived where there was a cluster of people waiting to get through the ticket barriers but nobody walking along the platform towards the barrier from further back in the train.

I very much enjoyed the programme even though its not the sort of thing I usually watch, and I had a bit of a chuckle thinking about how uncomfortable some people who had had affairs must have felt.

Railway Kid

I enjoyed it!

Was a bit baffled though when they first met on the train and later referenced a table between them which I was sure hadn't been there initially but was later! I might just have been tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.