• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 350 warble whilst accelerating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

Hi

Can anybody tell me what causes the warble on a Class 350 as it accelerates from a station?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
It's the AC traction motors, all AC equipped locos/units make this noise. Don't ask me exactly why though. ;)

Domh245

Established Member
I think that it is the traction equipment, more specifically the Inverter converting the DC supply (which has been rectified from the 25KV AC) into the 3 Phase AC needed to drive the traction motors. It is a similar thing that causes the high pitched whine on electrostars.

Kristofferson

Same thing with 323s I believe, which have the best 3 phase motor sound - they sound like F1 cars when accelerating!

Domh245

Established Member
The 323s have GTOs, which are a bit like IGBTs, but older and not as good. Correct me If I'm wrong, but these can be used to control DC motors as well, for example on the 319s and 456s, which have DC motors, but have GTO controllers, hence the whine when they start up.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
You could use IGBTs to control a DC motor too if you wanted too. But by the time IGBTs appeared AC motors were practially universal in rail traction.

The GTO can only run at a lower frequency, hence it needs to "hop around" to avoid signalling equipment frequencies which would otherwise be in its operating range. By running at higher frequencies IGBTs can guarantee* not to affect the signalling and also have a simpler control algorithm.

*a gross oversimplification

59CosG95

Established Member
The 323s have GTOs, which are a bit like IGBTs, but older and not as good. Correct me If I'm wrong, but these can be used to control DC motors as well, for example on the 319s and 456s, which have DC motors, but have GTO controllers, hence the whine when they start up.

But since the 319s and 456s (in fact, all BREL-built EMUs) have DC motors, so they sound as if they're groaning like a grumpy teenager (like myself 2 years ago!), but lots will now get AC motors-the 317 and 455 spring to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.