• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Lurcheroo

A lot of good stuff in this thread by the sounds of it, it’s all slowly coming together.

Anyone heard anything about Birmingham or the Cambrian ?
Sounds like the 197 team want early 2025 for the Cambrian but union rep seems think it won’t be until at least 2026.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Just on my first 197 of the warm weather and it is absolutely roasting on here, with not even fans seeming to be running. I hope this is not the norm after years of enduring 158s!

I was on the 1703 from Cardiff Central towards Swansea yesterday which was a 197. It was sweltering on board and other people were complaining about the temperature. It seems the guard had to try resetting it numerous times and after Port Talbot the temperature went down a little, but not enough. The air con was on but was only blowing a weak stream of air, it was cooler outside!

Lurcheroo

I was on the 1703 from Cardiff Central towards Swansea yesterday which was a 197. It was sweltering on board and other people were complaining about the temperature. It seems the guard had to try resetting it numerous times and after Port Talbot the temperature went down a little, but not enough. The air con was on but was only blowing a weak stream of air, it was cooler outside!
Yours and Vicbury’s experiences are very concerning.
These units have no opening windows and after years of suffering 158’s I had been seriously looking forward to a fleet of trains with solid and reliable A/C to make travelling during summer suitably more pleasant.
I could also see services getting cancelled for it.
A lot of guards would definitely refuse to take a very busy 2 car with No A/C and no opening windows.

RJ

Established Member
Yours and Vicbury’s experiences are very concerning.
These units have no opening windows and after years of suffering 158’s I had been seriously looking forward to a fleet of trains with solid and reliable A/C to make travelling during summer suitably more pleasant.
I could also see services getting cancelled for it.
A lot of guards would definitely refuse to take a very busy 2 car with No A/C and no opening windows.

It’s definitely something they need to keep on top of given the lack of any hoppers.

vicbury

It’s definitely something they need to keep on top of given the lack of any hoppers.
One would hope that Spanish designed trains would have HVAC systems that could cope with our climate! Hopefully it is just a teething issue to do with software or sensors..

Peter Sarf

Established Member
One would hope that Spanish designed trains would have HVAC systems that could cope with our climate! Hopefully it is just a teething issue to do with software or sensors..
I suspect the particular HVAC chosen will have been specified by someone in the UK...

To keep us warm.

HVAC = Heating Ventilation Air-Conditioning, if I have got it right ?.

BillStampy

197125 is now in service, started on 22:12 Chester to Holyhead last night.
Good to hear, we've gotten 2 new 197s enter service recently, better than 0! 125 seems to be going straight South into Cardiff! It isn't staying unfortunately but atleast it goes South quick.