• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Master list of rolling stock changes and tenders

waverley47

Hello all. I've been struggling to keep track of the current state of the fleet changes and tenders out for the various TOCs, and thought it might be useful to have a master thread (in the same vein as the new stations thread) to keep a track of the current and expected tenders, with links to all the various threads. I am not envisaging this to become a long discussion thread in and of itself, and instead to become more of a reference point.

TRAIN OPERATING COMPANYFLEET TENDER OR EXPECTED CHANGESTATUSNOTES
Avanti West Coast23 class 805/807s are currently on order from HitatchiTesting currently underway, delivery expected in 2024Discussion here
18 class 221s to be disposed of following introduction of new fleet--
C2C12 class 720s have been introducedAll 12 units have been accepted for serviceDiscussion here
Chiltern RailwaysThere are currently three tenders issued for new or converted multiple units, totaling between 20 and 70 units
See note below
Three tenders issued, expected award date of early 2025 and delivery from late 2028Discussion here
The mk.3 fleet is expected to be withdrawn, with a separate tender issued for 25 to 70 existing vehicles their replacement due into service early 2025If this tender is awarded, the two spare fleets would be either ex-TPE mk.5s or ex-TfW 175sDiscussion here
CrossCountry12 class 221s released by Avanti are expected to join XC between 'late 2024 and early 2026'7 units are a direct replacement for HSTs, 5 units are for additional capacityMain discussion appears to be here
East Midlands Railway33 class 810s are currently on order from HitachiTesting currently underway, delivery expected from 'early 2025'Discussion here
GTR
(encompassing Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink)
30 class 379s are expected to join Great Northern in 2024, causing a fleet cascade through GTR and Southeastern-Discussion here
? class 387s are expected to transfer from Great Northern to Southern-See above
40? class 377s may transfer from Southern to SoutheasternNumber uncertain, see also SoutheasternSee above
Grand CentralNo change expected--
Greater Anglia133 class 720s are currently being introduced? units accepted for serviceDiscussion here
Great Western Railway
(encompassing Heathrow Express via management contract)
A strategy for enhancement/replacement of 15x and 16x fleets has been published, but no tender has been issued as of April 2024-Discussion here
3 class 230s have been purchased from what was formerly VivaRail, this project is now run in-house by GWROne of these units runs on the Greenford branch, and is being used to test battery and fast charging technology
At least one of these units is in service (230 001)
Two appear to be stored in Reading Depot
Discussion here
Hull TrainsNo change expected--
London Northeastern Railway10 units are currently on order from CAF, to replace the remaining mk.4 setsOrder placed November 2023, delivery expected from 2027Discussion here
LumoNo change expected--
Merseyrail53 class 777s are currently being introduced38 units accepted for serviceDiscussion here
Northern TrainsTender issued for up to 450 new unitsTender issued August 2023, it appears to have gone quiet since then.
Expected award date of 2025, first delivery from 2029
Discussion here
Tender
17 class 323s are being transferred from WMTFirst unit transferred October 2023, ?/17 units acceptedMain discussion appears to be here
ScotRailNo current changes, no tenders issued as of April 2024An update to the ScotRail rolling stock plan is expected, with three fleets of units:
- A suburban electric fleet to replace diesel units on newly electrified routes, as well as ageing Strathclyde electrics
- A new (presumably hydrogen or battery bimode) fleet for rural lines not currently expected to be electrified
- A new (presumably bimode) fleet to replace HSTs on intercity services
-
Southeastern40? class 377s may transfer from Southern to SoutheasternSee also GTRDiscussion here
Tender issued for between 350 and 570 vehicles, with an option for an additional 70 vehiclesExpected award date of December 2024, delivery from 2027Discussion here
Tender
South Western Railway90 class 701s are currently being introducedA small number of 701s are currently in revenue service, with details on the 701 threadDiscussion here
2 class 707s remain at SWRThere is currently no set date for their transfer to SE-
A minimum of eight class 458s are due to be reintroduced to cover for the 701 farceTo be reintroduced by the end of July 2024Discussion here
TransPennine ExpressTender issued for 29 new units, as part of the TRU budgetExpected award late 2025, delivery from 2029Discussion here
Tender
Transport for London
(Encompassing the Elizabeth Line and Overground)
We are expecting an order of 5? additional 345s for the Elizabeth Line, to support the extension from Paddington to Old Oak Common at some point in the near futureNo contract has been letDiscussion here
Transport for Wales77 class 197s are currently being introduced 46 units accepted for service
30/51 two car units and 16/26 three car units
Discussion here
All class 170s and 175s have been withdrawn or transferred to EMRAll 175s off-lease, all 170s transferred to EMRDiscussion here
5 class 230s have been accepted for the Borderlands Line4 units in service, one stored out of use for spares (230 006)Discussion here
24 class 756s are on order from Stadler? units accepted for serviceDiscussion here
11 class 231s are on order from StadlerAll 11 accepted for serviceSee above
36 class 398s (tram-trains) are on order from Stadler for the Valley LinesTesting underwayDiscussion here
Tyne and Wear Metro46 class 555s are currently being deliveredTesting underway, ? units have been deliveredDiscussion here
West Midlands Trains
(encompassing London Northwestern Railway)
48 class 730/0s are currently being introduced for WMT local services40 units accepted for serviceDiscussion here
36 class 730/2s are on order from Alstom for LNWR long-distance servicesTesting underway, expected delivery in 2024See above
? class 323s remain at WMT17 units are transferring to NorthernDiscussion here
26 class 196s are currently being introduced24 units accepted for service
12/12 two car units and 12/14 four car units
Discussion here

Please also let me know if I have anything wrong, and I'll try and keep it as up to date as possible

EDIT 26/04: TfW, TfL and Tyne and Wear Metro have all been added.

Links to the tenders for SE, Chiltern, TPE and Northern have been added.

For posterity, I am quoting post 24 here, which outlines the status of the Chiltern tenders

"Chiltern actually have four potential tenders underway, though there's no guarantee of all (or any) of them going ahead:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
You've not put London Overground and Elizabeth line, not sure if that was deliberate as they are concessions from TfL?

waverley47

You've not put London Overground and Elizabeth line, not sure if that was deliberate as they are concessions from TfL?

Yeah that was the idea, as their rolling stock strategy seems pretty fixed and I didn't want more TOCs cluttering up the table with no foreseeable changes

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You have a question mark against the acceptance of the c2c class 720s; I can confirm all 12 are in use - I've had them all for haulage.

waverley47

The scotrail rural fleet is likely to be hydrogen rather than electric bi-mode.
I would argue that although all the planning documents do suggest hydrogen was the original plan, the subsequent widespread de-adoption of hydrogen and advances in battery technology make the latter more likely.

I have updated to reflect this.
There are also the 555s for Tyne & Wear
Do you know how many of these (if any) have been delivered)

I have also added a row for TFL, encompassing Elizabeth line and Overground

I have also now added a section for TfW however we are missing some information, if anybody knows anything more that they would like to contribute please do let me know

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

I have also now added a section for TfW however we are missing some information, if anybody knows anything more that they would like to contribute please do let me know

Not so much a change but additional 345s (maybe around 5) might be ordered to cope with OOC being the temporary (?) terminus of HS2

50002Superb

I would argue that although all the planning documents do suggest hydrogen was the original plan, the subsequent widespread de-adoption of hydrogen and advances in battery technology make the latter more likely.

I have updated to reflect this.

Do you know how many of these (if any) have been delivered)

There’s a discussion here but I couldn’t say for sure:

waverley47

Thank you for doing this - greatly appreciated :)
Honestly its for my own benefit as much as for the benefit of the forum. I thought it was high time we had a pinned reference, just because the state of flux and the amount of changes to keep track of has been so overwhelming.

To complete the table, does anyone know where there would be more up to date information on the WMT or TfW fleets, as I'm struggling to nail down anything concrete about how these introductions are going?

Big Jumby 74

just because the state of flux and the amount of changes to keep track of has been so overwhelming.
You are very brave to take (this sort of work) on, if I may be so bold. As an old train planner from BR days, when each of us kept either a notebook of local restrictions that we, as individuals thought relevant, or nothing at all in some cases, up to the age of computers and associated 'Quality' standards, which in effect created a whole new role within many railway departments, which led to (in some cases) horrendous amounts of 'detail' that every planner had to take note of and update their own records every few months, to the point that such 'record keeping/updating of' took people away (in work time) from doing the day job, planning/amending the train service.
What many of us oldies found, was that after a while, many of these 'new initiatives' designed to document every single change made/reason for making said change, etc etc, eventually faded away/died off, as those involved in such matters found the workload of such minutee detail, changing every few months as things do, completely overwhelmed them.

I do wish you well in your endeavours, and I do mean that. But don't feel guilty if at some point down the line you feel the need to step back/take a break.

50002Superb

Honestly its for my own benefit as much as for the benefit of the forum. I thought it was high time we had a pinned reference, just because the state of flux and the amount of changes to keep track of has been so overwhelming.

To complete the table, does anyone know where there would be more up to date information on the WMT or TfW fleets, as I'm struggling to nail down anything concrete about how these introductions are going?
I have seen reference to TfW introducing the updated 153s.

There is thread about it somewhere I think.

FGW_DID

Established Member
4? class 230s are on order from what was formerly VivaRail, is now GWR in-houseThese units are run on the Greenford branch, and are being used to test battery and fast charging technology
At least one of these units is in service.
Only one unit is being used to trial the Fast Battery Charging Tech. 3 car unit 230001, whilst it has run tests on the Greenford Branch, it has not yet run in passenger service.
230 003/4/5 are normal 2 car DMUs, stored at Reading TCD with no immediate plans (AFAIK!)

JN114

Established Member
Only one unit is being used to trial the Fast Battery Charging Tech. 3 car unit 230001, whilst it has run tests on the Greenford Branch, it has not yet run in passenger service.
230 003/4/5 are normal 2 car DMUs, stored at Reading TCD with no immediate plans (AFAIK!)

And to follow up what my colleague has already put - there are no firm/agreed/financed plans beyond a technology demonstration of the Fast Charge Battery Technology. The Managing Director may have made mention of some further aspirations beyond the Greenford trial; but along with many of his other aspirations they are just that.

Robski_

39 class 387s are expected to transfer from Great Northern to Southern
The number of units hasn't been confirmed, and it is extremely unlikely that the number of units that could transfer would be over 30 (GN is expected to have a net gain of units AIUI).

waverley47

The number of units hasn't been confirmed, and it is extremely unlikely that the number of units that could transfer would be over 30 (GN is expected to have a net gain of units AIUI).

Thank you for letting me know, I'll update to reflect this

I have seen reference to TfW introducing the updated 153s.

There is thread about it somewhere I think.

Thank you, I'll do some digging

You are very brave to take (this sort of work) on, if I may be so bold. As an old train planner from BR days, when each of us kept either a notebook of local restrictions that we, as individuals thought relevant, or nothing at all in some cases, up to the age of computers and associated 'Quality' standards, which in effect created a whole new role within many railway departments, which led to (in some cases) horrendous amounts of 'detail' that every planner had to take note of and update their own records every few months, to the point that such 'record keeping/updating of' took people away (in work time) from doing the day job, planning/amending the train service.
What many of us oldies found, was that after a while, many of these 'new initiatives' designed to document every single change made/reason for making said change, etc etc, eventually faded away/died off, as those involved in such matters found the workload of such minutee detail, changing every few months as things do, completely overwhelmed them.

I do wish you well in your endeavours, and I do mean that. But don't feel guilty if at some point down the line you feel the need to step back/take a break.

I feel like it's worth it even for a snapshot, and I still need to find things to do in my retirement, so I'm completely happy to do this.

Mollman

Established Member
Thanks for doing this very useful. I think Mods should pin it to the top of the page to avoid people starting new threads about rolling stock changes when one already exists.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Chiltern actually have four potential tenders underway, though there's no guarantee of all (or any) of them going ahead:
The latter ones are a longer term thing, expected to be introduced in 2027 or later, and primarily replacements for the 165s.

Chiltern will also be receiving six Class 196/0s on sublease from West Midlands Trains for East West Rail services.

waverley47

Chiltern actually have four potential tenders underway, though there's no guarantee of all (or any) of them going ahead:
The latter ones are a longer term thing, expected to be introduced in 2027 or later, and primarily replacements for the 165s.

Chiltern will also be receiving six Class 196/0s on sublease from West Midlands Trains for East West Rail services.

This is a perfect example of why I wanted to start this thread. There have been far too many tenders for antone to keep track of, so it makes sense to have them all in one place.

I'll update the document when I get a chance.

Regarding the EWR sublease, do we have any more information about the status of 196 introductions in general?

bnsf734

Class 196:

All the class 196/0 are in service
There are 3 class 196/1 left to enter service (196112 -196114)

Thank you for taking on this task to keep track of all the fleet updates/orders etc.

Very useful to see it all in one place.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Class 196:

All the class 196/0 are in service
There are 3 class 196/1 left to enter service (196112 -196114)

Thank you for taking on this task to keep track of all the fleet updates/orders etc.

Very useful to see it all in one place.
That's not quite correct. 196112 is in service I have eyeballed it myself many times. 113 and 114 are still yet to start though.

sd0733

Established Member

197s-
Currently 30/51 2 cars accepted and 16/26 3 cars accepted

230s- all 5 were accepted but one (006) has been used for spares and stored out of use. Its planned to get it into service though.

231s- All accepted

398s+756s- None in service yet but not sure about acceptance on those.

waverley47

The last few messages have been incorporated into the table. We are still missing info about the 323s and the 458s which I'll try and pin down.

Also there hasn't been any official announcement on the TfW 153s since they were unveiled so I'm struggling to pin that down