• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential up to 2,000 job losses at Alstom Derby

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Nonsense, there is nothing wrong with either Electrostar or Aventra.
Electrostars took a very long time to be certified electrically.
All Aventras have suffered from late/inadequate software and with many post-manufacture issues.
I also suspect none of the Aventra fleets are meeting the reliability levels required in their contracts, certainly not the EL fleet.

Last edited:

Invincible

Electrostars took a very long time to be certified electrically.
All Aventras have suffered from late/inadequate software and with many post-manufacture issues.
I also suspect none of the Aventra fleets are meeting the reliability levels required in their contracts, certainly not the EL fleet.
3rd February 2023
Stunning success: more than 100 million journeys have now been made on the Elizabeth Line. Reliability is also claimed to be good with an industry performance rating of 93% against an average elsewhere of 78.5%.

Are the current reliability rates online or only in the published magazine.
Outsourcing software on the 345s and 701 has not gone well, but getting there
The recent overhead power problems affected the Elizabeth line badly

Mikey C

Established Member
Considering Alstom/Metro Cammell in the late 90s, the 95 and 96 tube stock, and the Class 390 Pendolinos were decently reliable, while the Junipers/Coradias were a disaster which killed the factory and Alstom in the UK until they bought Bombardier, so sometimes it isn't just down to the assembly line.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Considering Alstom/Metro Cammell in the late 90s, the 95 and 96 tube stock, and the Class 390 Pendolinos were decently reliable, while the Junipers/Coradias were a disaster which killed the factory and Alstom in the UK until they bought Bombardier, so sometimes it isn't just down to the assembly line.
Don't know about the tube stock, but 390s were riddled with faults on delivery.
Junipers got their electrical certification before the Electrostars but then like Coradias had many build/design faults (and seemingly still do more than 2 decades on).
The benchmark for EMU reliability I understand was the Siemens Desiros, particularly the 350/2s on the WCML (the ones with no future home after being replaced by class 730 Aventras).

The Elizabeth Line reliability will be about cancellations I think, not about unit reliability.
The Modern Railways monthly list of new EMU reliability puts them well down the list, well below TfL's 710s and GA's 720s.
But Stadler's 777s on Merseyrail are at the bottom of the list.