• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shepherdswell to City Thameslink

Hallj

Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone can help plan the cheapest route into London.

Currently my route is:
(1) 06:58 - Shepherds well to Dover Priory
(2) 07:14 - Dover Priory to London St Pancras
(3) Thameslink service to City Thameslink

I can normally work from home 2 days a week but the client I am working on requires me in the office 5 days. I have been buying a weekly ticket for around £205.

Was wondering if anyone knows anyway to get it cheaper.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Was wondering if anyone knows anyway to get it cheaper.
Given that is the seven day season for route 'Plus High Speed', £205 for five journeys (and travel at the weekend thrown in) is the cheapest way of making the journey daily if you want to use the St Pancras route. An anytime day return is £91.30, so the seven day season represents a discount on that fare.

kieron

Established Member
First of all, a Shepherds Well-London ticket isn't valid via Dover according to the rules, but only via Canterbury. A Dover-London one costs the same amount, and would mean that you could go from Shepherds Well to London via Dover or Canterbury, so I would suggest using one of those in future.

For a bit of explanation, season tickets let you make any number of journeys a day, and you can just make parts of a journey with it. Shepherds Well-Dover is part of a valid route from London to Dover, and Dover-Ashford-St Pancras-City Thameslink is another valid route. You would still treat it as one journey if you need to make a delay repay claim.

And yes, it's a shame that a Shepherds Well-London ticket isn't valid on the fastest route.

The only ways I can think of to save money are standard ones you may have already rejected. You could buy a season ticket valid for a month or more. Or you could use a slower route by, say, getting a "not via HS1" season ticket.