• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Strike action to affect journey

Wolfie

Established Member
Surely it would be against SWR as the service provider? The retailer is not at fault for selling a ticket before strike action was announced.
You may well be right. It wouldn't be GWR as the alternative operator though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You may well be right. It wouldn't be GWR as the alternative operator though.
It could be against GWR too, if they refuse to provide assistance as they're required to under condition 28.2 of the NRCoT.

It's worth mentioning that under CPR 45.17 and 45.19, you can claim a fixed sum towards your costs upon commencement of a civil claim, as well as upon judgment. For a claim of up to £500, the respective amounts are £50 and between £22 and £55, depending on the circumstances under which judgment is entered.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The OP has been given notice, offered a refund and has said she can rebook cost effectively. That would certainly be my approach in this situation; not everyone wants to spend their free time getting into battles with train operators!

In the last load of strikes I ended up picking up my ex GF from Gatwick because there were no trains. In the real world people just work around it.

The TOCs are just doing what the DfT wants. They get paid whether trains run or not so they don’t care.
So if they don't care why should the passenger care about not losing their rights? I. E. They should care because the TOCs don't care.

It has transpired that there will now be ticket acceptance, although GWR seemed to know a lot more about it than SWR, even as recent as yesterday. A series of tweets suggested GWR knew about the acceptance on 1st May.

Thanks for everyone’s advice over the last few days.

Last edited:

Established Member
It has transpired that there now will be ticket acceptance, although GWR seemed to know a lot more about it than SWR, even as recent as yesterday. A series of tweets suggested GWR knew about the acceptance on 1st May.

Thanks for everyone’s advice over the last few days.

Good to hear! I hope all goes well with the medical appointment.