• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Slewing’ track - what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
In a recent engineering update, the Wensleydale railway refer to a plan to start ‘slewing track for the possible future installation of a passing loop’ at a particular point on the railway. Please can someone explain what this means?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
The Wensleydale line was mostly double track. Like many other similar lines when singled under BR, the one remaining track was often relaid to make the best use of the outside of curves or to run through the centre of stations to improve clearance from platform edges. So to reinstate two lines of track where currently there is just one will require the existing track to be moved sideways to give room for the second line.

Taunton

Established Member
Standard mechanical engineering term for moving something to one side. With large cranes there are various terms, such as Slewing, Luffing, Lifting and Crawling. Slewing is the whole body of the crane being swung from side to side. Luffing is just the jib of the crane being raised or lowered, to reach out further. Lifting is winding the lifting cable, with the load, up and down. Crawling is the entire crane moving forward on its caterpillar tracks.

A good crane operator can do all at the same time, accurately!

Pinza-C55

The Wensleydale line was mostly double track. Like many other similar lines when singled under BR, the one remaining track was often relaid to make the best use of the outside of curves or to run through the centre of stations to improve clearance from platform edges. So to reinstate two lines of track where currently there is just one will require the existing track to be moved sideways to give room for the second line.

The Wensleydale line was actually single track throughout except for a short double track section between Leeming Bar and Bedale. Even as a freight line there were several passing loops until the line was designalled in 1982 with only Bedale box remaining as a gate box. I think the formation from Leeming Var to Ainderby is wide enough for double track and one of the early Wensleydale directors had the rather fanciful idea of laying double track and building a new Union Pacific Big Boy to haul trains.

John Webb

Established Member
The Wensleydale line was actually single track throughout except for a short double track section between Leeming Bar and Bedale. Even as a freight line there were several passing loops until the line was designalled in 1982 with only Bedale box remaining as a gate box. I think the formation from Leeming Var to Ainderby is wide enough for double track and one of the early Wensleydale directors had the rather fanciful idea of laying double track and building a new Union Pacific Big Boy to haul trains.
Thanks for the correction - I was in a hurry and didn't go and look things up as I would normally do! The Bedale and Leyburn railway was built first and connected to Northallerton in 1855. The final authorisation in 1870 for the stretch from Leyburn to Hawes allowed for all stations to be worked with two tracks and sidings, the rest of the line to be single. (The MR section was authorised in a separate act in 1866.) The line fully opened in 1878. It closed to passengers East of Hawes in 1954 and between Garsdale and Hawes in 1959.

alexl92

Established Member
Thanks! Makes sense, and the context is really interesting. Appreciate it.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I’m definitely a slue-er
NR seems to favour 'Slue', according to many signs around the network (e.g. "No Track Slue On This Bridge") I think it's the older of the two versions of the word. It reminds me of another example - 'shown' and 'shewn' - as in "tickets to be shewn", which still pops up rarely. However, another NR sign which I've seen a lot is; "High Visability Jackets Must Be Worn" - that is NOT a valid spelling!

Calthrop

Established Member
NR seems to favour 'Slue', according to many signs around the network (e.g. "No Track Slue On This Bridge") I think it's the older of the two versions of the word. It reminds me of another example - 'shown' and 'shewn' - as in "tickets to be shewn", which still pops up rarely.

I've always used the "slew" spelling -- don't think I'd ever come across "slue" before this thread.

The alternative spelling of the word "show" in its various forms -- "shew" -- is I think familiar to more people overall, than is the "slew / slue" thing; as implied here by @Deepgreen, "shew" etc., generally considered an archaic spelling. I understand that George Bernard Shaw was passionate on the subject of how English should be spelt (often reckoning the customary ways it was spelt, as being foolish and wrong) -- one bee in his bonnet of this kind, was spelling the above-mentioned word and its modifications, as "shew": it's always spelt thus in printed versions of his works. On seeing the "shew" etc. spellings, I always want to pronounce them like "shoe"; though AFAIK the pronunciation has always been (as with the more conventional spelling) to rhyme with "glow". I figure that it's fair to say that anyone who looks for English spelling vis-a-vis pronunciation, to be consistent or make much sense; is wasting their time.

JohnElliott

I'll drop in my canned show / shew fact: The 1889 Liddell and Scott Greek lexicon translates different words to 'show' and 'shew'. δηλοω = 'show':
I.to make visible or manifest, to show, exhibit, Soph.:—Pass. to be or become manifest, id=Soph.

and δεικνυμι = 'shew':
I.to bring to light, display, exhibit, Od., etc.:—Mid. to set before one, Il.

to shew, point out, id=Il., Soph.:—absol., αὐτὸ δείξει experiment will shew, Plat.; so, δείξει alone, Ar.

[Edited: to add relevant quotes]

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
@JohnElliott -- to be honest, this "show / shew" lore brings irresistibly to my mind, the words "hairs" and "splitting"; but then I'm not a lexicographer or philologist (or a Greek !).

Dunfanaghy Rd

And just to wander even further OT (or should that be farther?) I was in the Canal Museum in Gloucester earlier today. One of the video loops showed a tug towing barges from Avonmouth to Sharpness, with subtitles. On approaching the latter the commentary said that the tug did a slew to get its tow around the bend into the mouth of the Severn - spelt in subtitle 'slough'. Wonderful thing, our lingo.
Pat

CEN60

As a track engineer - I was taught by the "old guys" it was always "slue" - in recent years Americanized software uses "slew".

Dunfanaghy Rd

I started on the PWay, where we slued (or slewed) track. I finished in railfreight, where we measured train length in slus (Standard Length Unit = 21 feet).
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.