• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

10.59 Bournemouth to London Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Turner

Hi from Adelaide in Australia. I'm coming over to the UK in June and will be visiting Bournemouth. I know Class 444 units operate the route, but are they all ten coach formations In particular, I'm travelling on the 10.59 Bournemouth to London Waterloo, will this be a five coach set from Weymouth with another five coach set added at Bournemouth?
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Searle

Established Member
I'm 90% sure it works like that, the 5 coaches being added on come from the sidings in Bournemouth and waiting for a few minutes before the through train comes in, and it all gets coupled together to go to London

Established Member
It is a single set throughout, unless it changes for the summer. Most off-peak services are so now.

louis97

Established Member
Single set throughout on a Monday-Friday and double set from Bournemouth on a Saturday.

David Turner

Many thanks for your replies, "Searle", ''87015'' and "louis97". I guess I'm the one asking stupid questions, but the whole story is that I'm making my first trip back to the UK in thirty two years and am going to be travelling on as many routes as possible on a first class Britrail pass over a two month period. Having not travelled on a train in the UK since 1983, getting around is going to be a whole new ball game. The line to Weymouth wasn't even electrified back then, only to Bournemouth. So not knowing what's normal is where this forum has been great. I hope you all realise just how much information is generated each day. Thanks to all and thanks especially with my enquiry.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is it possible that the train the OP hopes to catch could be a class 450 or is that a service that would never, ever be a class 450?

@David Turner you might want to consider visiting the Swanage Railway whilst you're down that way, it runs between Swanage and Norden. Also you might want to look up steam rail tours, there might be one running that you could photograph

dk1

Veteran Member
Have a great stay David. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask. Many on here more than happy to share their knowledge :D

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
@David Turner another railway thing that you could do is walk on/by the Weymouth tramway, it used to see trains go along it to the ferry terminal (and there's a fish&chip shop just by the lifting bridge that does some really nice fish & chips).

One last place (probably not doable if going by public transport only) is the Moors Valley Railway

Matt Taylor

Established Member
1059 from Bournemouth (1W12) is certainly only a 5 car from throughout, it's worked by a Fratton crew from Southampton to Waterloo-I've worked it myself a few times.:D

David Turner

Thanks again for your help 'dk1', 'DanTrainMan185', 'MattTaylor' and for your second reply 'SpacePhoenix'. Certainly all food for thought and especially the fish and chips in Weymouth. I'm going back to my home town of Scarborough, so will certainly see fish up there.

You can't get much better than asking a question about rolling stock and getting an answer from a driver. Thanks all round.

pinkpanther

Thanks for the advice ''SpacePhoenix'', on the Swanage Railway and also steam tours, I'll bear them in mind.

The X50 bus from just outside Bournemouth Central goes direct to Swanage station via the chain ferry (so you get to go on a bus, on the ferry). In the summer it runs open top, which is great for taking in the sea air on the trip.

I live just a few minutes walk from Bournemouth station, so an early welcome to the area!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The X50 bus from just outside Bournemouth Central goes direct to Swanage station via the chain ferry (so you get to go on a bus, on the ferry). In the summer it runs open top, which is great for taking in the sea air on the trip.

I live just a few minutes walk from Bournemouth station, so an early welcome to the area!

One option, depending on the weather would the "Poole Sea Train Adventure"
(http://www.citycruisespoole.com/frompoole) it's basically a cruise from Poole Quay to Swanage, a return trip on the Swanage Railway and then a cruise back. Don't know if there's any option to get the 50 back from Swanage instead. There's a nice place that goes some great fish 'N' chips, near to the entrance to Swanage pier

Status
Not open for further replies.