• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

15 years of RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Today it is 15 years since RailUK launched in its current form, on the 6th June 2005.

In that time we have seen over 4 Million posts, which is more than double the number of posts since I last posted a message like this to celebrate our 10 year anniversary in 2015! Whilst the past few months have been particularly difficult for all of us, as more people return to the railways and there is lots of news coming out about changes to how we travel I'm hoping this will pick up again.

One of the biggest successes over the past five years as been our forum events programme which has gone from strength to strength. From our monthly forum meals in London and Yorkshire which, to walks and cycle rides, as well as multi-day trips and simple days out, hundreds of events have been attended by members from all over the country (and world!) and good friendships formed off-line. Unfortunately due to current restrictions and guidelines all these events are presently on-hold although we hope to resume them soon!

To celebrate this anniversary, I'm pleased to announce that we have been able to procure some special limited edition forum badges for our members. The forum staff team are currently looking at a way to have these sent out to our members as our usual method of distribution at forum meets is currently not an option.

Badge_22.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Happy 15 years to RailUK - it doesn't feel like that long since the 10th Anniversary!

The badges look great - love that it incorporates a TPE 68 :)

PeterY

Established Member
Happy 15th birthday.:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:
Although not the worlds best at posting, I've thoroughly enjoyed/enjoying my time here. Also its been great, that I've met quite a few members on forum events.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Happy birthday Rail UK.

I've met some splendid people on here and continue to enjoy the discussions !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That really is quite an achievement. Having got to know how much work it takes behind the scenes this last year or so I’m full of admiration for what it’s taken to keep it going as well as constantly improving it.
Well done all. I shall now raise a glass to you. ;)

lxfe_mxtterz

Happy Birthday to RailUK! :cake: :rf:

I must say, since joining in 2018, I've always found this forum really friendly and welcoming, and that's what keeps me coming back time after time! :)

(Some forums are just so hostile! :frown:)

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Happy 15th Birthday from me as well :)!

In my view this is THE number one website if you want discuss a lot of things and ask anything not just trains, so thanks. Saves the hassle of dedicated websites if that makes sense.

I joined in roughly 2017/2018.

RichT54

Happy Birthday and thanks to all the staff who keep the place running and all the members for posting interesting and useful information :cake:

Established Member
Many happy returns to the forum! And thanks to the staff team for their tireless efforts in keeping everything running smoothly.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Today it is 15 years since RailUK launched in its current form, on the 6th June 2005.

In that time we have seen over 4 Million posts, which is more than double the number of posts since I last posted a message like this to celebrate our 10 year anniversary in 2015! Whilst the past few months have been particularly difficult for all of us, as more people return to the railways and there is lots of news coming out about changes to how we travel I'm hoping this will pick up again.

One of the biggest successes over the past five years as been our forum events programme which has gone from strength to strength. From our monthly forum meals in London and Yorkshire which, to walks and cycle rides, as well as multi-day trips and simple days out, hundreds of events have been attended by members from all over the country (and world!) and good friendships formed off-line. Unfortunately due to current restrictions and guidelines all these events are presently on-hold although we hope to resume them soon!

To celebrate this anniversary, I'm pleased to announce that we have been able to procure some special limited edition forum badges for our members. The forum staff team are currently looking at a way to have these sent out to our members as our usual method of distribution at forum meets is currently not an option.

View attachment 79002

Love the badge, very appropriate!;)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Congratulations on 15 successful years and a big well done to the whole staff team for their efforts. This forum is a most civilised place compared to many other online discussion outlets. Long may it continue.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Happy birthday to the forum. I’ve only been here 18 months, but I really enjoy the variety of discussion that is had. Many thanks to all who keep it running.

Stuwhu

Great work. Really enjoy the forums. Cant believe I've been a member for 10 years. Thanks to all those that voluntarily give up their time to moderate us all.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Finding this website in 2011, a year after my retirement, has been a most enjoyable part of life for me, so thanks to all administrators and moderators, past and present, for their tireless voluntary work in keeping "our website" in such high esteem.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For any members who are looking to get one of our limited edition "15 years" forum badges, and cannot wait for our Forum meets to resume, then please follow this link
https://www.railforums.co.uk/account/upgrades. You can make a payment of £1.22 which covers the forum cost of postage (postage is Second class Royal Mail Large letter) and we will send one out to you in the post. If you are an Established or Veteran Member, and were a member in June 2015 we can also include a "10 years" badge for you - please send me a PM if you did not get one at the time - limited stocks remain of these so get in quick!

Please ensure that your name and address is linked to your PayPal account so we can post it to you!

Badge_22.png

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Happy Birthday from me too, and also a big shout out to the forum staff and all the railway staff that post on here.

Also a little piece of trivia here: the date that this forum was founded was the day before Pontypridd's finest Tom Jones turned 65.

telstarbox

Established Member
Finding this website in 2011, a year after my retirement, has been a most enjoyable part of life for me, so thanks to all administrators and moderators, past and present, for their tireless voluntary work in keeping "our website" in such high esteem.
I would like to echo these comments from the Member for Cheshire Triangle (and probable Father of the House) :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi Al,

It is just a rank that appears under your Username. New Member / Member / Established Member is based upon postcount. Whereas Veteran Member is based upon length of membership and postcount greater than that required to become an Established Member. We introduced this in October 2015.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I notice the banner in the navigation bar has changed to one with "15 years" under the logo. I also think the photo was an excellent choice; with all the orders for this type of stock the IET is pretty representative of modern British rail travel in my opinion!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I notice the banner in the navigation bar has changed to one with "15 years" under the logo. I also think the photo was an excellent choice; with all the orders for this type of stock the IET is pretty representative of modern British rail travel in my opinion!
As illustrated by your own profile pic!