• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150s to Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
How often do 150s stray to Portsmouth these days? I only ask because 150202 is my last GWR unit for haulage and one unit cannot justify the hefty price of getting down to Exeter :lol: I live a short(ish) train ride from Havant and Cosham, so if I can get it this way I’d be happy

I know they used to a bit before Turbos became the mainstay in the South Coast or when they had the 150/0s, but I wondered if they’d since been seen as a rarity at least once or twice perhaps. I am still constantly seeing 158s, and indeed won 158956 today and 158959 last week from Fratton.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
I don't think Fratton , Westbury, or Bristol drivers still sign 150s anymore so I'd say no chance, sorry. Stand to be corrected though?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
How often do 150s stray to Portsmouth these days? I only ask because 150202 is my last GWR unit for haulage and one unit cannot justify the hefty price of getting down to Exeter :lol: I live a short(ish) train ride from Havant and Cosham, so if I can get it this way I’d be happy

I know they used to a bit before Turbos became the mainstay in the South Coast or when they had the 150/0s, but I wondered if they’d since been seen as a rarity at least once or twice perhaps. I am still constantly seeing 158s, and indeed won 158956 today and 158959 last week from Fratton.

Thanks

This is Post #2192 from the "Trains you've seen working Forum:-

Following on from a GWR 150 working to Weymouth recently and the details of which were posted in the Turbo thread, 150219 has ventured to Portsmouth Harbour today on the following services:-

Saturday 5th June 2021
150219 + 158765 (150219 leading from Bristol)
1F03 0540 Bristol to Portsmouth
1F12 0923 Portsmouth to Cardiff
1F19 1330 Cardiff to Portsmouth
1F28 1723 Portsmouth to Cardiff
5F28 20+52 Cardiff to SPM

On the previous safari we were assured there are still enough drivers away from Exeter and the South West with requisite traction knowledge to get by.

This seems to be the first one working there since their work north of Exeter was lost which must be well over a year now

As said, first one for ages and nothing been since. 150s are rare in Bristol now, perhaps one or two a week. There seem to be just enough drivers to get by in such events.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I don't think Fratton , Westbury, or Bristol drivers still sign 150s anymore so I'd say no chance, sorry. Stand to be corrected though?
Bristol still sign them as a legacy, although the last couple of courses, including mine, passed out without them on our cards due to their rarity in the Bristol area. I know some drivers have started taking them off due to it being that long since they worked one

Can't speak for Westbury or Fratton but I'd imagine it's the same. I know recent trainees certainly haven't passed out with them on their cards. And I'd imagine drivers have started taking taking off too.

The rule at GWR is that if there's no booked work in your link, it gets removed. 150s were allowed to stay at Bristol as they were officially still core traction. As this moves to 2+4/Turbos, I'd imagine that 150 knowledge in the Central region will soon wain (not aimed at you, this just for general information)

windnoise69

Around half of Bristol drivers still sign 150s, and have booked work on a Friday night/Saturday morning as one forms the a service to Exmouth early in the morning. Newly qualifieds are not signing them and others are taking them off their cards once competency runs out.
I think only 1 150 has made it to Portsmouth this year.

southern442

Established Member
Last time I saw one down this way was when I had 150001 from Bristol to Southampton at the end of 2019. Had a stonking hangover, a cold late night, low 2+3 seats, a terrible draught and a noisy old sprinter for a 2 hour journey, it really was quite something!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Last time I saw one down this way was when I had 150001 from Bristol to Southampton at the end of 2019. Had a stonking hangover, a cold late night, low 2+3 seats, a terrible draught and a noisy old sprinter for a 2 hour journey, it really was quite something!

Me too , stumbled on "Scud One" as it was known as - but mercifully only for the short hop to Temple Meads from Parkway. Rare enough to note the set - I think it went to Northern.....

Kite159

Veteran Member

At least it was a 3 coach unit, it could have been worse and been a 2 coach 150/1 with the similar seats [or one of the /2s which has 3+2 seating]

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
At least it was a 3 coach unit, it could have been worse and been a 2 coach 150/1 with the similar seats [or one of the /2s which has 3+2 seating]

I noticed that when a 158 (at that time) was unavailable a 150/0 (if available) was preferred to a 150/2 due to the capacity rather than the comfort.

baza585

I noticed that when a 158 (at that time) was unavailable a 150/0 (if available) was preferred to a 150/2 due to the capacity rather than the comfort.
Yes I once had the pleasure (?) of Scud One on a journey from Cardiff to Fareham. Never to be forgotten even though I bailed out at Salisbury and wasted an hour there when it all became too much.......

Status
Not open for further replies.