• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16-25 or 26-30 railcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aar0

Hi all,

As a student who's nearly 27 I'm eligible for both railcards, and my current 3 year 16-25 railcard runs out at the end of October. I was wondering if it was worth replacing, however it's covered £30 saving on my one rail journey since lockdown so I think I will.

Which of the two do you think is worth getting? I'd rather have a physical card, though I can understand the push for an app-based railcard I still like the security (though I know many will say "what security!") of a physical card with my paper ticket. I know the application process as a student is more onerous though. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you are eligible for a 16-25 choose that as there's the minimum fare exemption in July/August and Caledonian Sleeper validity. I think other than medium that's the only difference.

RJ

Established Member
There's no benefit at all to getting a 26-30 over a 16-25 railcard. The latter has the option of a physical card.

If you don't want to go through the admin of getting a 16-25 form stamped then the 26-30 railcard is the only remaining option.

plugwash

Established Member
Under normal circumstances I'd say get the 16-25 railcard, at least in my experience it wasn't particularly onerous I just filled in the form got it stamped by the university and then took it to the station.

We aren't in normal circumstances though, we are in circumstances where most organisations are trying to keep in-person interactions to a minimum due to covid. I would imagine this could make getting the form stamped quite a bit harder than normal.

BigCj34

Out of curiosity can students purchase 3-year railcards? Also can students purchase a railcard up until the last day they are a registered student and have it valid for a year?

plugwash

Established Member
Pretty sure the answers to those questions are no and yes respectively.

aar0

Thanks all - another 16-25 it is!

The 16-25 website is a bit rubbish... I'm given the option to renew for 1 or 3 years, but the Mature student box is blanked out, so I can't select it. If I proceed it then go "ERROR DATE OF BIRTH" because I'm not 16-25! If I try to buy a new railcard I am able to select the mature student box, but on the next page get a series of errors because I have a current valid railcard. I've sent an email to them, but I sent one two weeks ago with no reply.

Last edited:

plugwash

Established Member
Hmm, I was under the impression that the 16-25 for mature students could only be applied for in-person because it required a form stamped from the university, has that changed?

island

Veteran Member
Hmm, I was under the impression that the 16-25 for mature students could only be applied for in-person because it required a form stamped from the university, has that changed?
You still need the form stamped but you can upload a scan of it rather than applying in person.

aar0

Presumably a recent official letter of enrolment would work too?

aar0

I'm a bit stuffed then. I can get a letter of enrolment online very easily. I can't get anyone to stamp anything as my university remains completely closed, except to certain freshers.

A Challenge

Established Member
I'm a bit stuffed then. I can get a letter of enrolment online very easily. I can't get anyone to stamp anything as my university remains completely closed, except to certain freshers.
Could you post it to someone and have them stamp it and post it back to you? Not sure if this would be practical in your case, but may work.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Could you post it to someone and have them stamp it and post it back to you? Not sure if this would be practical in your case, but may work.
Although you might want to bear in mind that the university staff may well be working from home - and if no one is staffing the post room there would be no way for a letter to get to the person with the stamp, or indeed for the stamped form to be posted.

I get that the 16-25 card is a superior product, but in this case does the ease of getting a 26-30 card issued trump that?

FGW_DID

Established Member

A mature student?
To be eligible as a mature student and buy a 1-year Railcard, you will need:

• To be attending a recognised college or university, for over 15 hours a week, at least 20 weeks a year. Unfortunately, Open University, distance learning and part-time courses do not qualify.
  • To have the mature student section of the 16-25 Railcard application form completed by your College or University.
  • Have an NUS card or College/University photocard as proof of identity.

To apply online as a mature student please follow the steps below:

Fill out the mature student application form avialable to download here and upload the form when applying on the website. You'll also need a scanned copy of your student photocard and a digital passport-style photo.

Please allow up to 5 working days for your Railcard application to be approved.

Mature students will need to provide evidence of continuing study every year, and so are only eligible to apply for the 1-year Railcard.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Can you not e-mail your students services team to specifically ask them about this given other services that require face to face and stamped docs are usually offered (at the Uni where my partner works she is there doing this every working day!)

And if they can't I'd be taking this up via the students union (welfare officer or mature students rep if they have them) - asking them to ask the university to put a procedure in place.

I simply do not believe they have no process in place to deal with physical post - ie for the idea of the form to be sent in to someone who could then stamp it and send it back to you.

The hole higher ed mantra ahead of start of term has been 'we are open for people to return to university'...

Status
Not open for further replies.