• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16 car Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter0124

Established Member
Does anyone know why last night's sleeper service to Glasgow and Edinburgh went as full 16 cars up to Glasgow Central today, it was delayed by 80 minutes but I'm not sure if that is why.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Does anyone know why last night's sleeper service to Glasgow and Edinburgh went as full 16 cars up to Glasgow Central today, it was delayed by 80 minutes but I'm not sure if that is why.

Points failure just south of Carstairs delayed the service by c.90 mins. As a result the split at Carstairs was abandoned and the full set continued on to Glasgow.

92010 was at Carstairs due to work 1B26/5B26, but ran light-engine to Polmadie later in the morning after these were cancelled.

Liam

Established Member
I guess the Edinburgh people would have been put on the North Berwick train at Carstairs?

TimboM

Established Member
I guess the Edinburgh people would have been put on the North Berwick train at Carstairs?

Only stopped for 2 mins at Carstairs per RTT and it's not a scheduled stop for alighting passengers either, so doubt any would have got off there - certainly not an 8-coach load of people needing to pack up/leave berths etc. There was then a scheduled stop at Motherwell, but again not sure many EDB passengers would alight there (not sure of platform length either).

I believe EDB passengers will have gone to Glasgow and been able to disembark at their own pace there and then catch any number of services across to Edinburgh (or wherever they were heading).

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
Only stopped for 2 mins at Carstairs per RTT and it's not a scheduled stop for alighting passengers either, so doubt any would have got off there - certainly not an 8-coach load of people needing to pack up/leave berths etc. There was then a scheduled stop at Motherwell, but again not sure many EDB passengers would alight there (not sure of platform length either).

I believe EDB passengers will have gone to Glasgow and been able to disembark at their own pace there and then catch any number of services across to Edinburgh (or wherever they were heading).

Yes it is. 1S26 is a set down only stop with anyone for Carstairs usually allocated a seat or berth in the Edinburgh portion as that is the portion that is fully platformed at Carstairs. Only the brake van of the Glasgow portion is on the platform when the train is split.

TimboM

Established Member
Yes it is. 1S26 is a set down only stop with anyone for Carstairs usually allocated a seat or berth in the Edinburgh portion as that is the portion that is fully platformed at Carstairs. Only the brake van of the Glasgow portion is on the platform when the train is split.

Ah OK, I stand corrected :)

Scotrail84

Established Member
Ah OK, I stand corrected :)

Also picks up Southbound with anyone boarding 1M11 will be booked into the Glasgow portion as it is fully platformed southbound with the Edinburgh hanging off back after the join up. Not very may passengers board or alight there though.

InOban

Established Member
What happened at Glasgow? No platform can accommodate 16 coaches.

InOban

Established Member
We'll, since only 1 and2 are long enough for an 11 coach pendo, I can only assume that an engine shunted half into another platform.

TimboM

Established Member
I believe platform 11 is around 400 metres long.

It's not the first time the whole 16-coach train has gone to Glasgow (or started from there). Once or twice with the ECML diversions in the spring the whole train went to EDB then on to Glasgow.

Also a few months back one of the brake coaches failed and the set had to go combined to Glasgow (with the Edinburgh portion cancelled).

I'm pretty sure none of this involved shunting (nor this morning) so must fit it.

400m would take 16 coaches plus 2 locos - Euston P15 is 402m and can take a full rake + 2x 92s - just!! https://flic.kr/p/W3t9dE

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
I couldn't find a reference for the platform lengths at Central. I should have looked on Google maps, where the extra length of the two middle platforms is quite clear!

Status
Not open for further replies.