• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1963 Southampton to Waterloo Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Union St

Hello gents, I just wanted to say a BIG thank you to everyone who helped so much in the writing of my new book. You can't buy it yet, but it is at the printers and I hope might be available in early January. I took the opportunity of thanking the whole group in the Acknowledgements. Here's the front and back covers.
Again, thank you all so much, not just for the advice, but for my new-found interest in railways in general.

TGD Cover 02 Dec 2020.jpgTGD Back Cover 02 Dec 2020.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
Regarding "the gang leaders, tough men ...", I know we discussed The Krays in previous posts; the girlfriend of (apparently more than) one of The Krays, went on to marry long term one of the Security Express robbers (a comparable heist), and who later became a very prominent actress in UK film and television, died yesterday

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Great to hear that it's finished. I agree that the cover work looks super. Happy to have been able to help.

Let us know if you want to write a second book with a railway back story. :)

Union St

Train-34007-carsonartmusic.jpg34067_Tangmere,_west_of_Bath.jpg

Thank you, gents. Yes, I saw that Dame Barbara had died (even here), and I knew she knew the Krays. I wonder if she ever wrote a book about them and Ronnie Knight, etc. The cover work (Wadebridge) was painted by an artist I know called Susan Carson from the picture in Wikipedia of 34067 Tangmere, which I could have used because there is no copywrite on Wikipedia. This was Susan's first time painting a train 8-). Attached is her original, which I had to darken a little to get the gold lettering in.

I've begun research on the next novel, which will be set in the same time period. Trains? Let's see how it goes.
Thank you all. Stay safe everyone!

Union St

Good question. I am expecting to receive some copies in late December. But what I remember last time it took a little while later to get on the Amazon site. I will check with the printers.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Good question. I am expecting to receive some copies in late December. But what I remember last time it took a little while later to get on the Amazon site. I will check with the printers.

Thanks; I've made a note to keep an eye out for the publication date, which I'll share here when I find it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well done @Union St, let us know when it’s on sale because I’ll definitely get a copy too.

Union St

Oh! Wow, I wasn't expecting it so soon! It IS on Kindle. But I fear the print book date on Amazon may be some way off. I've read through the BookBaby (the printers) information and it doesn't say. I'll ask them and see what they say. Thank you for your interest.

Union St

Hello my railway friends - it's finally here on Amazon (March 2nd).
I cannot thank you enough for all the assistance you gave me in writing this. I have included the first chapter if you might be interested. I've also included pictures of the faces I used for four of the characters in the book. Sally Dawkins.JPGJohn Russell.JPGDaniel Geddes.JPGBilly Tumbler 3.jpg I would be happy to send a book (all the way from America) to the first person to PM me the identity of the four real people the faces are based upon. The characters have nothing to do with the real people - I just used their faces for help in writing. (They all have an association with either London or crime).
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all those who contributed.
Sean Currie

Attachments

• English Amazon.JPG
    English Amazon.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 12
  • The Good Delivery - Chapter One.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 8

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've just ordered my copy!

They all seem familiar in one way or another, but I think that John Russell might be based on Edward Woodward and Billy Tumbler on Christopher Ellison.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
No problems!

I've had a message from Amazon saying that my copy will be delivered between March 22 2021 and April 29 2022. I hope it's nearer the former than the latter ... !

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks, but don't worry, that's fine - I'm sure that it won't be as long as that.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm pleased to say that it's just arrived; the bad news is that it's joined a pile of around 20 (and counting) books to read!!

Status
Not open for further replies.