• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1972 tube stock replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I would agree with this.

The 72 stock has probably had a helping hand along the way with the pandemic with lighter usage and lower frequencies and possibly a little less of an impact if they cancelled a few trains on the quiet because no one was travelling but from what I've observed myself and read elsewhere are loadings are pretty much back to what they were pre pandemic on a lot of journeys and you simply cannot continue polishing a a ever rotting turd

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonah Kemp

On Moderation
I understand these trains are now to go first. Is this true? see https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/london-underground-bakerloo-line-new-21153107.

I thought the 1973 tube stock on the Piccadilly line was going first.
I have heard that the 72s could last till the 40s

When stage 1 of The Jubilee Line was being built,the original plan was to use an updated version of the Victoria Line system.A train of 72Mk2TS was test run on the Victoria Line(overnight)for a few weeks as the stock was built with ATO wiring.
Interesting... If the 1972 mk2 stock was converted to ATO would they not be on the Bakerloo today? Or if they stayed on the Jubilee till the 1996 stock came and they were moved to the Bakerloo would they also go on the Victoria line? If both lines used ATO then the 67s and 72s could work both lines

Last edited:

Scotrail12

There's no way they'll last until the 40s. We're barely into the 20s and they're already on their last legs.

Jonah Kemp

On Moderation
There's no way they'll last until the 40s. We're barely into the 20s and they're already on their last legs.
They still won't be replaced for some time though not till the 30s

There was a plan to put some MK1 stock on the W&C after they got withdrawn from the Northern. The idea was to let Elephant crews operate the line and give the 1992 stock to the Central. This never happened and the trains went to scrap

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
Assuming the bodies are okay, electric trains will carry on for as long as the owners keep overhauling the motors etc. I can think of a few trams and trains around the world that are older than the 1972 stock.

Mikey C

Established Member
They won't last until the 40s

Apart from anything else is no follow on order is placed with Siemens for additional tube trains once the Piccadilly Line order is complete, there will be an almighty political stink as Siemens closes the plant down again...

Jonah Kemp

On Moderation

Apart from anything else is no follow on order is placed with Siemens for additional tube trains once the Piccadilly Line order is complete, there will be an almighty political stink as Siemens closes the plant down again...
When do you think they will be replaced

LUYMun

The 1972 tube stock will eventually be replaced, as the funding will be put forward after someone with a brain suggests that it's not a grest idea to keep 50+ year old rolling stock.

Mikey C

Established Member
The 1972 tube stock will eventually be replaced, as the funding will be put forward after someone with a brain suggests that it's not a grest idea to keep 50+ year old rolling stock.
Lets face it, within 3 years (indeed sooner) we
Might have a new PM
Might have a new Mayor of London
Which should encourage a less adversarial relationship...

Jonah Kemp

On Moderation
When do you think the 72s will get replaced

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When do you think the 72s will get replaced
If you read the other posts in this thread, particularly those around your posts, you should see that it is a question no-one can answer at the moment.

birchesgreen

Established Member
There are too many unknown unknowns, personally i think they will still be around in the early 2030s. Even if a decision is made to replace them after the Piccadilly is done it'll take that long to get new stock built, ready and tested to begin taking over.

Nym

Established Member
There are too many unknown unknowns, personally i think they will still be around in the early 2030s. Even if a decision is made to replace them after the Piccadilly is done it'll take that long to get new stock built, ready and tested to begin taking over.
I refer the honourable gentleman to...

Every UK Rolling Stock Project, EVER!

No UK Rolling Stock project is ever on time, usually due either the client being slow, unresponsive, or changing their mind, or the manufacturer making 'changes' the designs without learning the lessons of previous designs.

TfL Engineering / LUL are a particularly egregious example of a purchaser that dithers around. RVAR compliance being a good example, known about in 2010 for compliance to be complete in 2020. Have they hit 2020 on LUL, no. Were procurement contracts in place with sight to having work even started in 2020. No. Did the company not even have TfL board papers in place requesting funding until 60% of the way through the time available to complete compliance. Ohhh yes.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Oh yes early 2030s would be a best case everything going right scenario, which as we all know always happens

Jonah Kemp

On Moderation
I agree that the Bakerloo line needs new trains however it will lose its charm and the Bakerloo won't be my fav line anymore

Mikey C

Established Member
They'll be a direct follow on from the Piccadilly Line trains though, so a relatively quick and easy task.

birchesgreen

Established Member
They'll be a direct follow on from the Piccadilly Line trains though, so a relatively quick and easy task.
Possibly though i'm due to get my pension in around 2037 or 8, i wouldn't bet any of it on there still being 72 stock rattling around :lol:

DelW

Established Member
Assuming the bodies are okay, electric trains will carry on for as long as the owners keep overhauling the motors etc. I can think of a few trams and trains around the world that are older than the 1972 stock.
Remember that Island Line was operating 1938 stock until about 18 months ago, although admittedly it wasn't in the best of health. And its replacements are only six years newer than the 1972 stock.

D365

Veteran Member
The bodyshells are not in great shape...

Mikey C

Established Member
Remember that Island Line was operating 1938 stock until about 18 months ago, although admittedly it wasn't in the best of health. And its replacements are only six years newer than the 1972 stock.
Quite a difference between a lightly used service running on the IoW and the intensity of a central London tube line!

Goldfish62

Established Member
The heavy curvature of the line takes its toll on the stock.

bramling

Veteran Member
Quite a difference between a lightly used service running on the IoW and the intensity of a central London tube line!

The Island Line isn't that much of a soft touch. Whilst the D stock has 5 units for 2 diagrams, the 38 stock had been running with very high utilisation of the available units for days on end, due to the fleet size having been progressively trimmed down. This wasn't a gentle retirement for the units, they essentially had a second complete lifespan in pretty much frontline service.

Foxxle

I agree that the Bakerloo line needs new trains however it will lose its charm and the Bakerloo won't be my fav line anymore
Agree with this - District used to be my favourite until the D78s were withdrawn, but the interior of the 72 stock looks so aesthetically pleasing haha And the sound of those older motors is beautiful

whoosh

Established Member
They still won't be replaced for some time though not till the 30s

There was a plan to put some MK1 stock on the W&C after they got withdrawn from the Northern. The idea was to let Elephant crews operate the line and give the 1992 stock to the Central. This never happened and the trains went to scrap

I seem to remember someone else posting about this, saying that the City of London had made some sort of financial contribution to the 1992 stock being ordered for the Waterloo & City Line, and that the City were unstandably outraged by the suggestion that newer 1992 stock be replaced by 1972 stock!

So a non-starter however operationally convenient!

Status
Not open for further replies.