• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1980's cab ride videos out of/into London Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkHaz

Hi. This is my first post in this forum!

Does anyone know where I can get old cab ride videos from the 1980s, up to around 1990 of the Network South East (NSE) lines out of Waterloo (Wessex route)? Or do you have any of your own that you'd be happy to sell me?

I've seen a couple going on Amazon/eBay on the Waterloo to Exeter route, but not much else. I am especially interested in anything on the Reading/Windsor side the suburban loops and branch lines and the Portsmouth Direct Line.

I found an old thread in this forum called "memories of fast trains SR" in which a user called "satisnek" said he has a VHS tape of Waterloo to Reading from the 1980s, so I know there must be more out there. Satisnek, if you are reading this, would you be up for selling it, or could you tell me where you got it from?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi. This is my first post in this forum!

Does anyone know where I can get old cab ride videos from the 1980s, up to around 1990 of the Network South East (NSE) lines out of Waterloo (Wessex route)? Or do you have any of your own that you'd be happy to sell me?

I've seen a couple going on Amazon/eBay on the Waterloo to Exeter route, but not much else. I am especially interested in anything on the Reading/Windsor side the suburban loops and branch lines and the Portsmouth Direct Line.

I found an old thread in this forum called "memories of fast trains SR" in which a user called "satisnek" said he has a VHS tape of Waterloo to Reading from the 1980s, so I know there must be more out there. Satisnek, if you are reading this, would you be up for selling it, or could you tell me where you got it from?

Thanks!
Hi @MarkHaz
Sadly the ones I have are not out of Waterloo but I have 3 I picked up from a second hand stall at the Great Central Railway some years ago (when video must have been still worth selling for a small sum to raise funds).

From memory I've got:
Kent Branches (think it may have a London Bridge Departure, but also Hastings Ashford and I think Medway Valley Line, Charing Cross - Addiscome, Stewars Lane - Cannon Street)
Settle Carlisle (may start at Skipton) - from a class 47 cab I think must have already binned this
one more that escapes me (but not Waterloo IIRC) Machynllth - Pwllheli
(raliscene)

They are all mid 1980s I think.

I was going to give these one last watch and then bin them on the basis no one wants VHS any more (or so I thought).

If these were of any interest you would be welcome to them!

Cheers

Last edited:

satisnek

Sorry for the delay in replying - I'm essentially a 'weekender'. The tape in question is one of a series called 'Cab Views' and were produced by an unknown videographer during the 'Network SouthEast' era. I bought CV4 new 'at the time' (Guildford-Waterloo via Cobham, Staines-Weybridge and more) and later found three others secondhand, including CV7 which contains Reading-Waterloo. The tapes have no producer or copyright information on them and the highest I have is CV15, which proves that there were quite a few released. Some of the cab rides include conversation whilst others are conducted in silence. The videographer comes across as rather more 'switched-on' than the Railscene guy!

There's a YouTuber called Jules Pope who has uploaded a few of the individual journeys, but sadly none of those which you would be interested in. One, however, is Wolverhampton-Walsall which is stated as being from CV10, proving that this guy went beyond the NSE area, so who knows how many of these programmes were ultimately made?

Finally, sorry again, I have no intention of selling it - 'cos I may not ever find another!

APT618S

There is the Railscene cab ride from Waterloo to Exeter taken from a class 50 in July 1990.
P. S. I have no experience of ordering from videoscene.
Link:

Status
Not open for further replies.