• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1995 stock additional trainsets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southern442

Established Member
I remember reading about additional 1995 stock trains being ordered for the Northern Line extension, but I cannot find any recent discussion of this, now that the time of opening is (hopefully) drawing nearer. Are these still yet to be built? Have they already been built and are in service but nobody makes a big deal of it because they are identical to the older trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
I remember reading about additional 1995 stock trains being ordered for the Northern Line extension, but I cannot find any recent discussion of this, now that the time of opening is (hopefully) drawing nearer. Are these still yet to be built? Have they already been built and are in service but nobody makes a big deal of it because they are identical to the older trains?
The project was cancelled even before the pandemic, due to lack of funds.

By the end, it was clear that any version that would have gone ahead would consist of new build (and possibly cascades), as the value-for-money of matching the older design, with vehicles slated for early retirement, would not make sense anyway.

southern442

Established Member

By the end, it was clear that any version that would have gone ahead would consist of new build (and possibly cascades), as the value-for-money of matching the older design, with vehicles slated for early retirement, would not make sense anyway.
That makes sense. I suppose that timetables will be reduced on for a while now anyways so there won't be much need for them for the foreseeable future.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That makes sense. I suppose that timetables will be reduced on for a while now anyways so there won't be much need for them for the foreseeable future.
Not at all - all LU lines have been pretty much running on to their normal schedules except for Night Tube but with an early start up on Sunday mornings for several months now.

rebmcr

Established Member
It's more that timetables can't be increased to the lines' theoretical maximum, until full fleet replacement probably starting in the 2040s.

Lewlew

I believe the current idea (certainly not confirmed or funded yet) is to buy new trains for the Jubilee line and move the 96 stock (or some of) to the Northern line to supplement the 95s.

rebmcr

Established Member
I believe the current idea (certainly not confirmed or funded yet) is to buy new trains for the Jubilee line and move the 96 stock (or some of) to the Northern line to supplement the 95s.
That was one of the pre-cancellation possibilities (rather than new-build '95 Tube Stock) but '96 Tube Stock isn't a similar design underfloor, so even that would have been less than straightforward.

Mikey C

Established Member

Yes, with the existing stock at half life, any similar new stock would have a very short life.

A bit of an issue for the Northern Line though. If the big plan to cope with future growth is to split the line once the Camden Town rebuild is done to enable increased frequencies, this needs additional stock. It's not as if they can stop more trains short to increase the frequency in central London, as masses of new flats are being built on the outer edges (e.g. at Colindale)

HSTEd

Veteran Member
If the lines are eventually split and the existing stock is not due for total scrapping it seems likely that a new fleet would be ordered for one of the new lines and the other would soldier on with the existing stock

hwl

Established Member

The cancellation was one of DfT's review items scoped in the report that hasn't been published. My reading of it is they probably though other things should have been deferred to make the timing work for ordering more stock there.

Elshad

Perhaps some of the COVID-related changes in work habits (e.g. remote working, less commuting) will become more or less permanent and mean the line will be able to cope with the existing 95 Stock for a few more decades until it's time for the whole fleet to be replaced.

D365

Veteran Member
Perhaps some of the COVID-related changes in work habits (e.g. remote working, less commuting) will become more or less permanent and mean the line will be able to cope with the existing 95 Stock for a few more decades until it's time for the whole fleet to be replaced.
As ever it’s not something that can be accurately predicted at this point.

LU_timetabler

If the funding for new Jubilee Line fleet is approved, then the old Jub fleet goes to the Northern, ideally to one of the 2 split lines. The spare trains - whether that be rest of old Jub fleet or replaced Northern fleet then goto Bakerloo - saving the need to replace Bakerloo stock with new trains, which is best done when the line is extended and upgraded, which we know is definitely paused.

Nym

Established Member
If the funding for new Jubilee Line fleet is approved, then the old Jub fleet goes to the Northern, ideally to one of the 2 split lines. The spare trains - whether that be rest of old Jub fleet or replaced Northern fleet then goto Bakerloo - saving the need to replace Bakerloo stock with new trains, which is best done when the line is extended and upgraded, which we know is definitely paused.
And how, pray tell, do you want to fit the 1996TS on the Bakerloo Line?

philthetube

Established Member
Unless you know this is not possible, you may or may not be correct is saying that 96 stock may fit, 95 stock is the same size and replaced 72's on the northern, admittedly with a bet of tunnel widening on one or two bends so it may not need a lot of work to make them fit, I do admit that I do not know if it is possible to make them fit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.