• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most people at York station were not wearing face coverings when I was there about half an hour ago. At a similar time last week there were more people wearing them.

And on the train I'm on now, I don't think I've seen a single person wearing a face covering, and most seats are taken. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not really sure which thread is best for this. Premier Inn has abandoned most Covid related changes. Self service breakfast is back, plastic screens have gone. None of the staff wore masks, a few guests did at breakfast.

I took the kids on a bus. I think I was the only one without a mask, apart from the driver. I think I was also the only person that paid! Everyone else looked 60 plus.

Travelled on a Southern train to Victoria. I don't think there were any Covid related announcements at the station or on the train. I reckon masks were about 50/50.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Just paid a visit to Sainsbury’s in my town. Fairly empty, however virtually 100% in masks - to the point where I was virtually the only person not wearing one, the odd dirty look too.

Perhaps not entirely surprising, the “work from home” bubble clearly shows no sign of subsiding. What bugs me is this area initially had one of the very highest Covid infection rates, which is generally regarded as having been from people on winter trips to Italy. The self-same people who couldn’t bring themselves to call off their ski trips last February.

Dread to think what Waitrose is like, though I’ve given them a wide berth since a snotty encounter with the door sentry last year when they were enforcing the “shop alone” policy.

Grumpus63

Yesterday I made a journey on a TfW service from Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton (the 10.31) and then returned to Welshpool on the 14.44 from Wolverhampton, also, of course a TfW service. On the outward leg there seemed to be upwards of fifty per cent mask "compliance" (is mask-wearing for the non-exempt compulsory on Transport for Wales trains in England?). I noticed also that in my carriage despite reasonable numbers boarding at Wellington and Telford Central there was sufficient space for people to avoid sitting next to strangers and this was almost pedantically observed by passengers. This was, by the way, a four coach train.

On the return leg the train was shown on the indicators at Wolverhampton as only operating as far as Machynlleth "due to a problem currently under investigation". It was also a short-formation of two carriages and was very busy so that I needed to stand in the front vestibule with six other people. Universal mask-wearing here. But in the crowded carriage mask-wearing was less than on the outward journey. I COULD have sat down next to a stranger in the salloon in one of the dozen or so seats available but being a person of somewhat timid disposition I wondered whether the "effrontery" of sitting next to a stranger would cause them to bridle in self-righteous indignation. So I stood until Shrewsbury by which time some Aberystwyth Uni students who had been separated from their friends when boarding at Telford Central were making tactical plans to monopolise seats together by adopting aggressive pushing and shoving tactics before all had fully alighted. I got a seat here but was immediately sat next to and this seemed to be the case throughout the carriage...social distancing had been observed on the English leg of the journey but was ignored on the Welsh leg. But masks, now, were worn by the majority because we were now entering "proper" Wales instead of just being on a Welsh train.

Punctuality was good yesterday, both ways; first time I have experienced that both ways since the most recent lockdown was lifted. As for the premature termination of the train communicated on the screens at Wolverhampton this was never mentioned again either on-board or at any succeeding station so whatever the "problem currently under investigation" was perhaps it had been resolved.

nlogax

Established Member
Dread to think what Waitrose is like, though I’ve given them a wide berth since a snotty encounter with the door sentry last year when they were enforcing the “shop alone” policy.

If it's anything like mine, all one-way systems and restrictions on entry and exit have gone, distinct lack of bolshy security at the doors and overall falling mask use. Maybe time to give it another go?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@Grumpus63 Masks are not required on TfW in England. I may be getting in a TfW service this evening and I will report back.

First train:

On the platform at Blackburn there was a huge crowd for my train; only one wearing a mask.

On the train, the first two coaches are crush loaded and I can't see anyone wearing a mask. Many of the people in that coach are clearly going out for th day in Blackpool.

Rear coach is less busy, though we are still stood up (everyone else is seated in this coach) and there are a handful wearing masks (some of whom are not covering their noses so probably shouldn't count;))

I didn't expect the train to be this busy; it's a real sign that people just want to get back to normal!

Second train will be Avanti; I expect more will be wearing masks on that one. We shall see...!

Update: had time to visit Sainsbury's in Preston. 90 per cent or more not wearing masks.

Avanti was mixed in my coach bit I didn't go in any other coaches. Face coverings were not mentioned in the announcements.

Most people at Preston & Crewe stations were not wearing them.

Next train was quiet and we were the only people in the coach

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
If it's anything like mine, all one-way systems and restrictions on entry and exit have gone, distinct lack of bolshy security at the doors and overall falling mask use. Maybe time to give it another go?

To be fair I was never a fan of Waitrose (nor John Lewis) at the best of times, we only visit Waitrose very occasionally for a small number of specific items - specifically their celebration cakes seem to be better quality than elsewhere. We have a birthday coming up, so might give Waitrose a go then. I bet the mask wearing in there will be high if nothing else!

Darandio

Established Member
For my sins i've unfortunately had to start using the bus on a daily basis. Normally it's been the first or second bus of the morning and then back around 5pm so the fellow passengers were effectively commuters. All week it's hovered around 60/40 in favour of masks.

Today I got off work early so the got a bus at about 1:30pm so not the usual 'commute' hours, out of the 25-30 people that boarded/alighted throughout my 40 minute journey only two wore masks. Seems to me like the more regular commuting type are sticking at it but casual users are just not bothering.

Failed Unit

Established Member
To be fair I was never a fan of Waitrose (nor John Lewis) at the best of times, we only visit Waitrose very occasionally for a small number of specific items - specifically their celebration cakes seem to be better quality than elsewhere. We have a birthday coming up, so might give Waitrose a go then. I bet the mask wearing in there will be high if nothing else!
It is higher than Sainsbury's but no dirty looks. I got a £50 voucher from them when I got challenged by a security guard last year as an apology from the manager as they had no business to ask. The security guard was on a power trip.

Mintona

Established Member
Went in a Beefeater which had ‘nice to see your face again’ stickers everywhere which we thought was rather good. Of the staff only one had a mask, and she wasn’t serving us. It was like the old days.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Beefeater need to go back to offering you the bread roll, prior to dining.

When they stopped that, it was like a step down in service.

Butts

Veteran Member
I politely suggest none of you go anywhere near an Airport or get onto an Aeroplane as you are likely to be sadly disappointed by the compliance levels with regard to mask wearing.

Having recently utilised British Airways Flights (near 100% masked) and Edinburgh, London City and Heathrow Airports also virtually 100% masked , the counter-revolution appears to be in abeyance with regard to Aviation.

Wonder why ?

Ted633

I politely suggest none of you go anywhere near an Airport or get onto an Aeroplane as you are likely to be sadly disappointed by the compliance levels with regard to mask wearing.

Having recently utilised British Airways Flights (near 100% masked) and Edinburgh, London City and Heathrow Airports also virtually 100% masked , the counter-revolution appears to be in abeyance with regard to Aviation.

Wonder why ?
Because unfortunately people believe aircraft to be 'dirty' as they think germs are circulated round and round for hours. Of course, pretty much the opposite is true. Along with the continuing mask mandates on aircraft, it gives the impression you need 'extra protection' whilst on an aircraft.
As for airports, well you don't know what nasty, virus riddled country the people around you could of come from! (tongue firmly in cheek).

johnnychips

Established Member
I still can’t understand people who wear masks with their nose sticking out above the mask - and I saw a fair few today. It’s not as if it’s early days of Covid so people may not have been sure how to use them. Perhaps in these divisive times, both people who are in favour of masks and those against can agree on something: these people are strange :D

ExRes

Established Member
Visited the large Tesco near Gatwick today, I would guess that it was 60/40 not wearing masks but the thing that really wound me up was the almost total lack of faces belonging to under 30s, considering we've had to listen to the younger generations moaning non stop about the cowardly and selfish old fools being masked what's the reason for younger people wearing them especially when they've been told it's no longer required, talk about the reek of hypocrisy

bramling

Veteran Member
I still can’t understand people who wear masks with their nose sticking out above the mask - and I saw a fair few today. It’s not as if it’s early days of Covid so people may not have been sure how to use them. Perhaps in these divisive times, both people who are in favour of masks and those against can agree on something: these people are strange :D

At least some of these will be in the “doing the minimum possible to keep people off my back” camp.

Grates more if they’re going around lecturing others, which we have seen on occasions.

I reckon very few people actually use masks correctly.

Visited the large Tesco near Gatwick today, I would guess that it was 60/40 not wearing masks but the thing that really wound me up was the almost total lack of faces belonging to under 30s, considering we've had to listen to the younger generations moaning non stop about the cowardly and selfish old fools being masked what's the reason for younger people wearing them especially when they've been told it's no longer required, talk about the reek of hypocrisy

In my experience it’s more the middle aged groups who are utterly steadfast in wearing them.

I suspect some younger people are simply beaten into submission by having been demonised by certain quarters right through this.

johnnychips

Established Member
@bramling is there a north/south; urban/rural; affluent/not-affluent divide about this mask-wearing thing? I’ve been on trains and buses where I’ve been the only one without a mask and nobody - absolutely nobody - has stared/tutted/made remarks. And conversely, the opposite has been true and nobody has criticised anybody if they do choose to wear a mask.

Jamiescott1

For my sins i've unfortunately had to start using the bus on a daily basis. Normally it's been the first or second bus of the morning and then back around 5pm so the fellow passengers were effectively commuters. All week it's hovered around 60/40 in favour of masks.

Today I got off work early so the got a bus at about 1:30pm so not the usual 'commute' hours, out of the 25-30 people that boarded/alighted throughout my 40 minute journey only two wore masks. Seems to me like the more regular commuting type are sticking at it but casual users are just not bothering.

Same is true in my experience.
Due to school holidays im finishing work at 3pm instead of the usual 5pm.
My commuter train in the morning is fully masked (except me) whilst the off peak trains i get in the afternoon are about 50% compliance

bramling

Veteran Member
@bramling is there a north/south; urban/rural; affluent/not-affluent divide about this mask-wearing thing? I’ve been on trains and buses where I’ve been the only one without a mask and nobody - absolutely nobody - has stared/tutted/made remarks. And conversely, the opposite has been true and nobody has criticised anybody if they do choose to wear a mask.

So thing morning, early morning GTR train to London. Station virtually empty as one would expect for the time of day. As I'm getting on the train, hear footsteps behind me - yes there just *has* to be someone following me on via the same door, so much for the other 15 sets of doors on the train. All masked up to the hilt such that there's only a slit for the eyes, and as I am sitting down I get a real dirty stare. To cap it off he then gets off at the next stop. The mind boggles with this sort of behaviour - firstly why he was bothering with a mask on an 8-car train which I think had no more than 5 people on at the most, secondly the whole theatrical performance, and thirdly no attempt to distance despite being masked up. I really don't get this sort of thing. I was waiting for something to be said as I was ready to have a real go.

A fair few masks being worn at King's Cross, though probably the minority just about.

peteb

Travelled Malton to York and back on TPE 28/7/21, masks worn by all, both directions, very much encouraged to do so by train crew. As a contrast, now on Chiltern 0914 BMO to Marylebone, virtually no masks being worn in my carriage yet nearly full and we are only at Dorridge. No mask announcement. On stations mask wearing seems de rigueur, as does wearing in the street in Birmingham city centre.

Just detrained at Leamington, 1H19 6 car DMU nearly full, plenty standing, from what I could see of rest of train masks being worn by about 25%.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member

Wonder why ?
Because mask rules are actually enforceable on planes – anyone not wearing one will be refused boarding/deplaned/threatened with arrest on arrival (delete as appropriate).

HST274

Most people who don't wear a mask seem to be annoyed at people 'encouraging' (in other words forcing) them to wear a mask and I totally agree. My local co-ops strong encouragement to wear one made even me feel a bit stamped on and I was wearing one anyway. However that doesn't mean you should have a problem with those who do wear masks. As you stress quite rightly you have a choice but so do they. If they want to wear one in an airport or pub who cares, and more importantly why would you care. If they give you a dirty look a different matter but if they aren't you've made a choice and so have they.

As an under 30 and a friend of many under 30s I have not heard once anyone call people who wear masks cowardly or selfish. Your statement is a large generalisation going off perhaps a few of people in this age category and anyway people can change minds- whether that be choosing to get the vaccine, or deciding not to wear or to start wearing a mask.

ExRes

Established Member
As an under 30 and a friend of many under 30s I have not heard once anyone call people who wear masks cowardly or selfish. Your statement is a large generalisation going off perhaps a few of people in this age category and anyway people can change minds- whether that be choosing to get the vaccine, or deciding not to wear or to start wearing a mask.

I read and watch very little on Covid as I'm sick to the back teeth of the biased lies and out and out scaremongering, but even with the little that I've followed it there are many cases of attacking the older generation on the news, in the media and especially on 'social' media including this very forum, naturally we all have our own experiences but I'm pleasantly surprised that you've not come across anyone making comments on cowardly or selfish mask wearing, I'd be much happier if I could say the same

satisnek

Freedom Saturday #2 and I did something a bit more ambitious this time. Up to Birmingham, a quick bit of shopping, then to Willington to do some work on the boat (I made a couple or three trips during lockdown/restrictions - changing at Smethwick Galton Bridge to avoid setting foot in Birmingham city centre - but it has basically been abandoned for 16 months) and finally to Derby for the evening.

I noticed a distinct daytime/evening split with regards to mask wearing, and certainly there were very few on the last train back to Kidderminster. I also noticed, while waiting at New Street, that a 'cross-city' 323 seemed to have a lower mask count than the Snow Hill Lines (Stourbridge end at least) and regional/long distance services. Off the railway it was noticeable that there were far fewer masks in the Primark Birmingham store than in the Worcester one last week, including the staff. I get the impression that the ethnic mix is a significant factor here.

Meanwhile, Mercia Marina at the moment is, to be honest, grim. Signs and one-way systems everywhere, as if July 19th never happened. The Boardwalk "Bar & Dining" has a "Please wait here to be seated" sign in the entrance, but then the (female) management never did seem very enthusiastic about the "bar" bit - crusty old boaters supping pints of ale does nothing for the ambiance - so I guess it suits them fine. Suffice to say, I do not recommend a visit at this moment in time.

island

Veteran Member
When going down an escalator this morning at London Bridge, two people were stood one left one right on consecutive steps. I, walking down the left, said “excuse me” and the person on the left moved whilst the person on the right said “oh my God social distancing”.
:rolleyes:

When going down an escalator this morning at London Bridge, two people were stood one left one right on consecutive steps. I, walking down the left, said “excuse me” and the person on the left moved whilst the person on the right said “oh my God social distancing”.
:rolleyes:
its all getting a bit stupid now,are they going to go on like this forever

duncanp

Established Member
its all getting a bit stupid now,are they going to go on like this forever

This article in the Mail today is of the opinion that there is a clear divide opening up in society, between those who want to get back to normal, and those who want the restrictions to carry on for ever.

I can only hope that the end of the furlough scheme in September concentrates people's minds a little bit.

And in the Autumn, there will be the budget, where we finally have to start paying for all of these government free handouts.

People won't be so keen on new lockdowns once they know the true cost of them, a fact which has been swept under the carpet for far too long.

It wouldn't surprise me, for example, to see that some of the service cuts we are seeing on the railways at the moment, "..due to the pingdemic...", are made permanent from the December timetable change.

There’s a new divide as bitter as Brexit between those happy to stay in Covid lockdown and the rest of us who want our old lives back, writes KIRSTIE ALLSOPP

I was lucky enough to go on holiday to Florida with my family just a few weeks ago.

Attractions such as Universal Studios were packed and the weather was uncomfortably hot, yet after just the first day there I had an odd feeling. My jaw was positively aching from smiling.

And the reason? Despite the continuing worry about Covid-19, real life was taking place.

There were plenty of coronavirus safety measures in place, but the requests and instructions were discreet. There were no plastic screens, no one-way signs. No hectoring.

The restaurants had real menus to choose from. In the shops you could pay with cash – no one in Florida is going to get in the way of a good tip.

Yet if the Sunshine State is doing pretty well with Covid-19, the truth is that Britain is doing even better.

Our vaccination rate is among the best in the world. More than 90 per cent of adults have antibodies. Infections are falling and even ‘Professor Lockdown’, Neil Ferguson, says the end is in sight.

Why, then, is Britain so gripped by continuing fear? Why do we continue with doom-laden public announcements, with the ‘pingdemic’ and with extreme and economically damaging restrictions?

We can see it all around us – the colleagues who refuse to return to the office; the older people still terrified to leave the bottom of their drive; the clubs, choirs and sewing circles that have collapsed because no one dares take the risk of meeting human beings.

Most troubling of all is the growing – and disastrous – acceptance that fresh restrictions might be needed for the autumn and winter ahead. A recent IPSO/Mori poll even suggested that almost a fifth of people favour a permanent 10pm curfew!

This is partly because the Government has done its best to spread fear, terrifying the life out of ordinary Britons.

Early in the pandemic it was recognised that the UK was the most Covid-scared nation in Europe. We were not compelled to keep children inside for weeks like the Spanish, but it turns out many of us did, just the same.

We weren’t ordered to wear masks in the street like the French were, but many of us did.

Brits have gone far beyond the mandated restrictions and have done so with vigour.

Is it because our Government did such a good job of scaring us that we are still genuinely afraid? Perhaps.

But I worry that there is a deeper reason – that the firm hand of the nanny state is one that too many of us enjoy. And that, today, many millions of us have come to believe in a ‘new normal’.

A dangerous division is emerging – between those of us who want our freedoms back as soon as possible and those who believe in a new, more regulated life with spells of home imprisonment whenever our medical scientists become concerned. Which is often.

Facemasks are the most obvious sign of this. Wearing them is no longer compulsory, aside from in specialist locations such as packed carriages on the London Underground. Even the repeated assertions that masks work are open to challenge, to put it no more strongly. (The Government spent many months insisting that they don’t, remember.)

Yet millions of us continue to wear masks, even in situations where they cannot possibly be effective – in the park, on the beach.

Some are truly frightened, I accept that. Some, particularly the frail and immuno-compromised – those undergoing cancer treatment for example – would have good reason to be careful even without coronavirus. Others are happy to have spent more time at home and rather hope it will continue.

It is no surprise that people who have bought lovely homes in the countryside, many miles from the office, would now like to abolish the commute.

I am most troubled that the comfortable liberal voices – such as those dominating Radio 4’s Today programme (to which I am a devoted listener) – seem genuinely thankful we are governed not by a functioning parliament but a star-chamber of medical scientists whose lives are dedicated to suppressing disease at almost any cost. In this new land of the worried well, the happy-to-be-frightened, mask wearing is no mere precaution but a badge of honour.

The divide caused by Brexit is nothing to this new rupture – between those eager to return to the world as we knew it and those who are fighting hard to buoy up our new, Covid-conscious world, not to mention all the opportunities that come with it.

Just think of the mask and sanitiser sales, the army of people involved in Test and Trace, the battalions who fit out offices with Perspex screens and new ventilation systems…

The money involved in the safety industry is vast. Fear of Covid has made some people very rich indeed and they aren’t going to let go of that in a hurry.

The threat to our way of life is serious – and has been coming for some time. It has been fed by a dangerous mix of US-style litigation culture and a growing belief that government can protect against all known harms. Or compensate us should it fail.

As a stepmother and mother of four boys, I have seen how nervous people have become.

A few years ago I read an article that spoke about ‘free-range parenting’ as something unusual. Risk is a condition of life, yet allowing our boys to explore the world around them, as we have done, is now considered to be dangerous.

Covid has taken this creeping excess of caution and added rocket boosters. Today, the advertisers tell us not just to clean our clothes but to sterilise them free of germs.

Companies are obsessed by reassuring us that safety is their Number One Priority.

Yet we cannot outlaw death and nor should we try if the result is to ban the very humanity that keeps us alive.

My late mother had cancer on and off for 25 years. Numerous bouts of chemotherapy meant she often could not see people or go out and about without risk because her immune system was suppressed.

But Mum was also much more deaf than she admitted, and blind in one eye following the removal of a brain tumour.

So I know she would have found it almost impossible to communicate with people in masks. And I am convinced she would also have found the idea of forcing her grandchildren to cover-up in school – supposedly for her protection – quite appalling.

She bore her illness with stoicism, never using it as an excuse to break a date or let anyone down.

If we all go round in masks for fear of being thought uncaring, we will end up in a world where people forget how to do the most caring thing in the world – and that is smile.

Covid is a horrid disease. I have seen it up close and personal. It can be a killer and many people have been taken before their time.

But that is no reason to restrict human contact for the months and years ahead.

The worst is well behind us. We must go back to kisses, hugs and polite handshakes. Greetings from humans to human.

It is time for us to take responsibility for our own health. To get back to the office, back to our lives, back in our swimsuits.

Yet, let’s learn some lessons – eat healthily, exercise and lose weight. Let’s wash our hands and sneeze into a tissue.

But let’s learn this lesson, too: togetherness and human contact are essential. Without them we are gravely diminished.

For the great majority of us who are safe, it is time to take off the masks. And smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.