• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reliablebeam

Just had one of my occasional cycle trips to Faversham, where there is a nice ancient pub I that know, for a pub lunch. Pleased to report that it's pretty much back to normal. Almost no one wearing masks, apart from a handful of customers, back to ordering at the bar, and sit where you like rather than being seated. Even the screens between tables had gone (at least where I was sitting), although there was still a screen by the till at the bar, but everyone seemed to be ignoring it.

Slightly annoying though, because they still had the "Wait here to be seated" signs up at the entrance, so I was stood there like a lemon because I haven't been there for a while, and didn't realise that stuff had gone.

I entered wearing a mask because, since I hadn't been in a while so didn't know what was expected, but I ditched it as soon as I saw no one wearing one and that they weren't required.
I don't know what to do sometimes either with these 'wait here' signs which haven't been given the boot. Some places the regulars look at you like you've grown two heads and have a good laugh,others the staff get really upset if you take the initiative....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
I don't know what to do sometimes either with these 'wait here' signs which haven't been given the boot. Some places the regulars look at you like you've grown two heads and have a good laugh,others the staff get really upset if you take the initiative....
I Just ignore these old signs and sit where i want, i have not had anyone say anything yet. If they did we would walk out and take our custom elsewhere. How any business that still sticks to those stupid rules expects to prosper is beyond me.

Bungle73

On Moderation

It was stuck to the side of the bar, so I don't know if it's a case of no one can be bothered, or that they've found them hard to remove. There were also still some arrows on the floor too, even though the separate entrance and exit system had gone as well.

Reliablebeam

It was stuck to the side of the bar, so I don't know if it's a case of no one can be bothered, or that they've found them hard to remove. There were also still some arrows on the floor too, even though the separate entrance and exit system had gone as well.
I have personal experience of unsuccessful sticky sign removal.....

Philip

On Moderation
I'm going to put this question to you following an experience the other day:

Do you think the slow and rather poor recovery of the railway from the pandemic is more because of people fed up with the attitudes of TOCs and staff towards 'enforcing' and encouraging things like face masks along with the strict stance the railway took during the lockdowns? Or is it more because some people are still wary of the virus and don't feel easy going on public transport, particularly with mask wearing at about 30-40% now (regardless of their actual effectiveness), so they prefer to travel by car or even not at all?

I am asking this because a passenger at the station I work at wanted a refund for the season ticket he had only just started using, the reason being that not many people on his train were wearing masks. You could argue that this is an isolated case, but the fact that typically 30-40% of passengers are still wearing masks suggests that a lot of people are still playing things cautiously.

Other factors like ticket prices, inflation and working from home are no doubt at play for the drop off in numbers, but in terms of the virus and restrictions, what do people think is putting people off using the trains more?

bramling

Veteran Member

Do you think the slow and rather poor recovery of the railway from the pandemic is more because of people fed up with the attitudes of TOCs and staff towards 'enforcing' and encouraging things like face masks along with the strict stance the railway took during the lockdowns? Or is it more because some people are still wary of the virus and don't feel easy going on public transport, particularly with mask wearing at about 30-40% now (regardless of their actual effectiveness), so they prefer to travel by car or even not at all?

I am asking this because a passenger at the station I work at wanted a refund for the season ticket he had only just started using, the reason being that not many people on his train were wearing masks. You could argue that this is an isolated case, but the fact that typically 30-40% of passengers are still wearing masks suggests that a lot of people are still playing things cautiously.

Other factors like ticket prices, inflation and working from home are no doubt at play for the drop off in numbers, but in terms of the virus and restrictions, what do people think is putting people off using the trains more?

In your refund example, one can’t help but wonder whether the next phone-call after the season ticket refund was to his employer “it’s too dangerous to return to the office, there are people on the train without masks”. Well, guess what? Lots of people have been using trains containing unmasked people to get to work over the last 18 months.

In a similar theme to what has been said about workplaces, how come people seem to have been more than happy to cram into trains for leisure journeys, yet you’re saying people are stamping their feet and demanding season ticket refunds for their work journey just because there’s people in the carriage without a mask? Has the gentleman concerned investigating getting hold of the proper FFP masks?

One reason some people won’t be using trains is because many routes have seen services cut and/or the service is now very unreliable. These two things combined are my number one issue. My travel arrangements are a bit atypical, but if the railway can’t attract me for a work journey when they’re already giving me 75% off the normal season price, this doesn’t exactly bode too well.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I suspect there are multiple reasons why people are still choosing to wear masks on public transport. Some will be doing it because they think it protects others, probably more will be doing it because they believe it protects them. Others still may be doing so because they believe it is still mandated and that they will get into trouble, or be shouted at by other passengers. But all of these reasons and more have come about because governments, their advisors and subsequently social media pressure tell them that they must to protect others / their grannies / themselves.

As an aside, I do hope the request to refund was refused. Its the equivalent of asking for a refund because other people occasionally sit nearby or next to them.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I suspect there are multiple reasons why people are still choosing to wear masks on public transport. Some will be doing it because they think it protects others, probably more will be doing it because they believe it protects them. Others still may be doing so because they believe it is still mandated and that they will get into trouble, or be shouted at by other passengers. But all of these reasons and more have come about because governments, their advisors and subsequently social media pressure tell them that they must to protect others / their grannies / themselves.

I had a video call with a colleague the other day while he was on a train. It was his first trip into the office, and first train journey since March 2020. The reason we had the call while he was travelling was that he'd chosen to travel 'off peak' in the belief that the train would be quieter and therefore 'safer'.

I was surprised to see him wearing a mask, especially because all the seats around him were empty. When I asked why, he said he believed it was required. I told him it wasn't but he was reluctant to take it off because he was worried about being fined. I know this person does not wear masks in shops etc so he's clearly not a mask obsessive - he'd just fallen for some of the lies that are peddled. This was in London so the difference between TfL and National Rail may have also added to the confusion.

trebor79

Established Member
One reason some people won’t be using trains is because many routes have seen services cut and/or the service is now very unreliable. These two things combined are my number one issue. My travel arrangements are a bit atypical, but if the railway can’t attract me for a work journey when they’re already giving me 75% off the normal season price, this doesn’t exactly bode too well.
I've found the service to be very reliable indeed since COVID hit. I've only had one severe delay - that was due to cows on the line. I've had one other minor delay which resulted in a missed connection but the guard endorsed my ticket so I could use a different route and was only about half an hour late in the end (I didn't claim delay repay for that one either).

As for masks, I couldn't care less. I don't wear them and have had no hassle from anyone. Someone once got up and moved to a different seat, but made no comment. Oh there was a couple last week who tried to grass me up to the guard after a whispered conversation. Just heard him say in a clear voice "Oh no, not mandatory at all, but I will have to ask you to take your feet off the seats!".

Philip

On Moderation
As an aside, I do hope the request to refund was refused. Its the equivalent of asking for a refund because other people occasionally sit nearby or next to them.

It isn't really and he had the right to obtain a refund on his ticket anyway. I think there is clearly a mixture of feelings about the whole thing across the variety of passengers, the question is whether a more 'covid secure' railway (mandatory face coverings mainly) would attract more passengers back over a railway which completely abandons all distancing measures and completely reverts to 2019 status, notwithstanding going back to the timetable that was in place before coronavirus.

Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
It isn't really and he had the right to obtain a refund on his ticket anyway. I think there is clearly a mixture of feelings about the whole thing across the variety of passengers, the question is whether a more 'covid secure' railway (mandatory face coverings mainly) would attract more passengers back over a railway which completely abandons all distancing measures and completely reverts to 2019 status, notwithstanding going back to the timetable that was in place before coronavirus.

I have a feeling it wouldn't actually make much of a difference. On social media we here from the two extremes - people who think masks should be worn at all times, and people who think all masks should be brunt on a huge bonfire. I suspect in reality most people are in the middle camp - they've no strong desire to wear a mask but they don't really mind wearing one if they're required to.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Unlike @DelayRepay I think continued mandatory masks when other indoor areas do not require them would have a negative effect, by projecting the image that railways are more unsafe than elsewhere. Hardly a way to sell a service. Its still having a negative effect on air travel, with a lot of people still perceiving it as unsafe due to all the extra regulation and mandation.

What is needed is an adult discussion with the public to help them understand the risks, or lack of in a largely vaccinated public. Too many people still think they are going to die, or cause someone's death. This is the real issue.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Unlike @DelayRepay I think continued mandatory masks when other indoor areas do not require them would have a negative effect, by projecting the image that railways are more unsafe than elsewhere. Hardly a way to sell a service. Its still having a negative effect on air travel, with a lot of people still perceiving it as unsafe due to all the extra regulation and mandation.

What is needed is an adult discussion with the public to help them understand the risks, or lack of in a largely vaccinated public. Too many people still think they are going to die, or cause someone's death. This is the real issue.
My OH seems convinced that if I catch Covid I will cause her and my stepdaughter to become seriously ill as I haven't worn masks since they were not mandatory. I blame the messaging over the last 18 months.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I was on a Southern 3 car service from Lewes to Southease on the weekend. It was very busy (full and standing) with hikers and families. I was the only one in the carriage without a mask and people where reluctant to sit next to me even voicing their displeasure.

MikeWM

Established Member
Unlike @DelayRepay I think continued mandatory masks when other indoor areas do not require them would have a negative effect, by projecting the image that railways are more unsafe than elsewhere.

I agree - was briefly discussing this with a colleague last week, and he seemed rather surprised I was still alive (!) when I mentioned I had been using trains regularly throughout the last 18 months (except when not legally allowed to, of course). Making trains appear to be especially 'unsafe' is hardly helpful.

I don't think the messaging remotely helps either. People who are not wearing masks on the train are being continually told by signage/announcements that they are 'inconsiderate' (LNER and Northern), 'not thinking of others' (LNER), 'irresponsible' (TfW, at Chester at least) and 'disrespectful' (most other ToCs).

(Or rather, they are being told that wearing a mask is 'considerate', 'thinking of others', 'responsible' and 'respectful', so the clear implication is that the opposite is the case if not).

Now, I don't really care less what others think of me not responding to such 'nudges', but these continual attempts at persuasion are really quite tiresome. Though they also appear to be increasingly ineffective on most of the population!

Bantamzen

Established Member
I agree - was briefly discussing this with a colleague last week, and he seemed rather surprised I was still alive (!) when I mentioned I had been using trains regularly throughout the last 18 months (except when not legally allowed to, of course). Making trains appear to be especially 'unsafe' is hardly helpful.

I don't think the messaging remotely helps either. People who are not wearing masks on the train are being continually told by signage/announcements that they are 'inconsiderate' (LNER and Northern), 'not thinking of others' (LNER), 'irresponsible' (TfW, at Chester at least) and 'disrespectful' (most other ToCs).

(Or rather, they are being told that wearing a mask is 'considerate', 'thinking of others', 'responsible' and 'respectful', so the clear implication is that the opposite is the case if not).

Now, I don't really care less what others think of me not responding to such 'nudges', but these continual attempts at persuasion are really quite tiresome. Though they also appear to be increasingly ineffective on most of the population!
Indeed, its a "nudge" tactic designed to make non-wearers feel guilty. In fact a couple of times I've felt a momentary pang of guilt on hearing some of the more passive aggressive announcements. Only a moment mind...

One other observation I have (well two really), is in my area mask wearing seems to be highest among the older groups, i.e. over 60s. They seem to represent a significant proportion of them, and in a way I can understand why what with all the "you're killing granny" messaging we had for much of the pandemic. And one observation today in Whetherspoons was a lady in her 60s apologising for forgetting her mask when going to the bar to get a refill cup, because she didn't want to get into trouble for reusing the original one. Perhaps an insight into why this demographic group are more likely to wear them?

Edit: Its Whetherspoons "Tax Equality Day", so 7.5% of all drinks if anyone is out and about...

35B

Established Member

Others have commented on your customer and his refund. Answering your question directly, I think the impact on the railway is a lot less than commonly assumed - especially for leisure travel. What I do think is making a difference is that many offices are not open in the way they were, and therefore people don't need to travel. Combine that with some risk aversion - sometimes fear of Covid itself, but also trying to minimise the risk of exposure and therefore enforced isolation with the impact it can have - and it's not surprising that business travel and commuting are slower to recover. I genuinely doubt whether, once those other factors are allowed for, masks are making a material difference to use of rail.

MikeWM

Established Member
Indeed, its a "nudge" tactic designed to make non-wearers feel guilty. In fact a couple of times I've felt a momentary pang of guilt on hearing some of the more passive aggressive announcements. Only a moment mind...

It does seem interesting the quantity of people prepared to disregard this - very blatant - nudging. While it is rather welcome in this case, I wonder if it is also undermining similar messages that are rather more productive (things like 'don't put your feet on the seats', 'don't play loud music', 'take your litter home', etc.) that also revolve around the message of respect to others.

One other observation I have (well two really), is in my area mask wearing seems to be highest among the older groups, i.e. over 60s.

I've given up trying to work out what geographic or demographic factors determine the level of ongoing mask-wearing. Eg. in the last week I've found it to be very low in Liverpool, quite low in Manchester, Wigan and Preston, average in Chester, and extremely high (?!) in Lancaster. If there is some underlying logic to that, I don't see it.

Philip

On Moderation
Others have commented on your customer and his refund. Answering your question directly, I think the impact on the railway is a lot less than commonly assumed - especially for leisure travel. What I do think is making a difference is that many offices are not open in the way they were, and therefore people don't need to travel. Combine that with some risk aversion - sometimes fear of Covid itself, but also trying to minimise the risk of exposure and therefore enforced isolation with the impact it can have - and it's not surprising that business travel and commuting are slower to recover. I genuinely doubt whether, once those other factors are allowed for, masks are making a material difference to use of rail.

This last week has seen a notable uptick in the number of passengers who are travelling at typical commuter times, perhaps a lot of offices have recently opened back up again in preparation for the end of furlough.

It does seem interesting the quantity of people prepared to disregard this - very blatant - nudging. While it is rather welcome in this case, I wonder if it is also undermining similar messages that are rather more productive (things like 'don't put your feet on the seats', 'don't play loud music', 'take your litter home', etc.) that also revolve around the message of respect to others.

I've given up trying to work out what geographic or demographic factors determine the level of ongoing mask-wearing. Eg. in the last week I've found it to be very low in Liverpool, quite low in Manchester, Wigan and Preston, average in Chester, and extremely high (?!) in Lancaster. If there is some underlying logic to that, I don't see it.

Going by those examples, it looks like the more working class cities have lower mask-wearing than the more middle class places.

MikeWM

Established Member
Going by those examples, it looks like the more working class cities have lower mask-wearing than the more middle class places.

I think there's a degree of correlation on those lines (possibly in part because more of the working class have been out and about for the last 18 months and are used to getting on with it, less so for the middle class with working from home etc.?), but it isn't perfect.

For that reason I'd have expected Chester to be more than Lancaster, for example, but turns out Lancaster was considerably more. (Around lunchtime in both cases, so fairly comparable).

Though certainly *on trains* - as far as can be told just by looking at appearances and demeanour! - working class people are significantly less likely to be still wearing masks than middle-class.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My own observations are that leisure travel is recovering strongly. Commuting is a slower recovery and is unlikely to ever reach its previous level due to office workers mixing going into the office with working from home.

As far as masks are concerned more seem to be worn by morning commuters, far fewer at leisure times.

RPI

Established Member
My own observations are that leisure travel is recovering strongly. Commuting is a slower recovery and is unlikely to ever reach its previous level due to office workers mixing going into the office with working from home.

As far as masks are concerned more seem to be worn by morning commuters, far fewer at leisure times.
I have noticed that commuting in and around Exeter has definitely returned to similar levels to pre covid, admittedly the main employment seems to be retail based rather than office workers, the college and school traffic also seems to have increased above pre covid levels too!

35B

Established Member
This last week has seen a notable uptick in the number of passengers who are travelling at typical commuter times, perhaps a lot of offices have recently opened back up again in preparation for the end of furlough.
I wouldn't link it to furlough - a slow return over the summer is now starting to accelerate even within firms. Desks are harder to get at our offices now, because more people are heading back in.
I think there's something in that - taking the Circle Line from King's Cross to Tower Hill a couple of weeks ago, the mask wearing ratio changed markedly at Liverpool Street. Similarly, on a 315 recently, there was some correlation between mask wearing and the work clothes people wore - those obviously doing manual jobs were much less likely to wear masks.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I don't disagree, but in the eyes of others it will promote the railways as a safe place so they're more likely to travel. I think that's nonsense but there are clearly quite a few people around who would feel safer if everyone else was masked.

Basically I am saying there are a group who won't travel if masks are mandatory, and a group who won't travel unless masks are mandatory. I think these two groups cancel each other out more or less. Then there's a third group who may grumble about having to wear a mask, or grumble that nobody is wearing masks, but decide to travel anyway.

We agree on that point, even if we don't agree on the previous one! :)

greyman42

Established Member
Others still may be doing so because they believe it is still mandated and that they will get into trouble, or be shouted at by other passengers. But all of these reasons and more have come about because governments, their advisors and subsequently social media pressure tell them that they must to protect others / their grannies / themselves.
Anyone who still believes that masks are still mandated on the national network must of been living under a stone for the last two months. Masks are not mandated on the national rail network and the government has made that perfectly clear.
Anyone who takes any notice of social media is a fool.

trebor79

Established Member
100%. I have to go to Glasgow on a business trip. Flight from Stansted about an hour and 50 quid-ish each way (but get rinsed for hold baggage so I can take my razor blades etc of course).
Train from local station. All day journey and 150 quid-ish return.

Train gets my business because I just can't be bothered with the Easyjet and Stansted airport mask stupidity. Easyjet even go so far as to specify FFP2 - this after a big spiel about how safe it is with HEPA filters and the air changed every few minutes.
On the train I can work, relax, not have to wear a stupid mask, or be worried I will be denied boarding because someone decides it's the wrong kind of mask, at least until I enter Queen Nicola's fiefdom, and even there I expect the word "exempt" will have the same effect it had before 19th July in England.

Anyone who still believes that masks are still mandated on the national network must of been living under a stone for the last two months. Masks are not mandated on the national rail network and the government has made that perfectly clear.
Anyone who takes any notice of social media is a fool.
To be fair the EMR service I'm on right now still has posters plastered all over the place banging on about "legally required" and £6,400 fines for non compliance.
GA have replaced all of their mask signage with low-key requests, seems EMR just can't be bothered. It's no wonder some people are confused.

LowLevel

Established Member
100%. I have to go to Glasgow on a business trip. Flight from Stansted about an hour and 50 quid-ish each way (but get rinsed for hold baggage so I can take my razor blades etc of course).
Train from local station. All day journey and 150 quid-ish return.

Train gets my business because I just can't be bothered with the Easyjet and Stansted airport mask stupidity. Easyjet even go so far as to specify FFP2 - this after a big spiel about how safe it is with HEPA filters and the air changed every few minutes.
On the train I can work, relax, not have to wear a stupid mask, or be worried I will be denied boarding because someone decides it's the wrong kind of mask, at least until I enter Queen Nicola's fiefdom, and even there I expect the word "exempt" will have the same effect it had before 19th July in England.

To be fair the EMR service I'm on right now still has posters plastered all over the place banging on about "legally required" and £6,400 fines for non compliance.
GA have replaced all of their mask signage with low-key requests, seems EMR just can't be bothered. It's no wonder some people are confused.

The EMR posters have generally been replaced so it must have been one that's been missed, most were done weeks ago.

greyman42

Established Member
It was well covered on the national news channels weeks ago that masks are no longer mandatory on the national network in England, so why would you take any notice of out of date posters?

trebor79

Established Member
It was well covered on the national news channels weeks ago that masks are no longer mandatory on the national network in England, so why would you take any notice of out of date posters?
I wouldn't. But many people (particularly those who don't use trains very much) may do - particularly as they seem to go along with some shop owners operating personal fiefdoms and "mandating" masks.
In a discussion about how welcoming the railway is, and confusion over such things I don't think it's asking too much to expect such out of date posters to be removed more than 2 months after the law changed. Aside from anything else, it hardly gives the impression that much care is being taken about customer messaging, cleaning etc.

greyman42

Established Member
In a discussion about how welcoming the railway is, and confusion over such things I don't think it's asking too much to expect such out of date posters to be removed more than 2 months after the law changed. Aside from anything else, it hardly gives the impression that much care is being taken about customer messaging, cleaning etc.
I completely agree. Perhaps someone who works in this sort of job could explain why out of date posters have not been removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.