• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Now that lockdown rules are as good as over in England, a thread comparing voluntary levels of compliance with masks and social distancing in different parts of the country seems like an interesting idea.

I’ll be down in England later so I shall comment on my observations then. What is the rough level of voluntary compliance with these measures in your part of the country?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Here in Newcastle, there's definitely been a decrease in mask usage. In the bus stations it's fallen to just under half (from 80% or so). In shops, it seems to have fallen to an even lower figure, perhaps as little as a third, though I've not seen too many so I can't give a more definitive estimate. On buses, I'd say the proportion of people not wearing masks has roughly doubled, but still mask wearers are in the fairly clear majority (maybe 65% or so).

The one exception to these dramatic falls is the Metro, where masks remain mandatory, but usage is still perhaps 10% lower than it was before - perhaps 85% now not 95%.

Two caveats though. Firstly, it's still early morning. Normally the people travelling at this time are going to working class jobs - and generally mask usage is higher among pensioners and the middle classes. Secondly, people are changing their behaviour based on others - in areas where most people are masked, unmasked people seem to start wearing them, and vice versa. So these figures are likely to be quite chaotic and could rise or fall sharply in the coming days.

johncrossley

Established Member
I've just been in a big Sainsbury's and a Tesco Extra, and mask usage seems to be almost universal, at least 80%. Maybe the sort of people who go to the supermarket early in the morning are more cautious than average? Sainsbury's have even removed all signage regarding face coverings and distancing. Even the one-way entrance and exit has gone. Tesco has kept all the same measures but just replaced the signage with different words that give a recommendation rather than an instruction.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Personally I dont mind if people are wearing masks provided none of those who are "have a go" or "say something" to those who aren't.

Failed Unit

Established Member
On Great Northern. It was about 50% correctly wearing on a lightly loaded train. Of the ones who were not about 50% had them on as chin warmers so maybe ready to put them on if the train got busier.

LowLevel

Established Member
Well, I had to get up early to take my car in for a service today, got there for opening at 8. All the staff were wearing masks as were the line of early drop off customers. Went to McDonald's for a breakfast muffin, same story.

Personally I am largely just going along with whatever the persons owning the premises wish. Some have been more direct on the matter "please carry on wearing face coverings in our shop/bar/whatever", some have said "we really don't mind, do what you want" in which case I've decided to take the lead from the staff.

So so far, the mask in my pocket has come out both times I've been inside somewhere and I'll carry on carrying it.

As with others, as long as it is reasonably chilled I'm happy enough.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
On my (single decker) bus this morning my driver managed to squeeze at least 50 on, possibly more. A far cry from 2 months ago when NXWM were declaring buses “full” with ten passengers.

If we’re counting the idiots wearing them with their nose poking out the top as ‘wearing’ a mask, roughly half were not.

People wearing a mask correctly were about 1 in 4. I suspect this hot weather will be encouraging more to stop wearing them.

Personally I dont mind if people are wearing masks provided none of those who are "have a go" or "say something" to those who aren't.

Please try and give people wearing masks 2m space *if* you can do so. It is exceptionally tough on some of us who have had to shield (and immediate family & friends), and it’ll take us longer to adjust. We will all get there I’m sure, but the 2m to start with will massively help us adjust.

Whilst I’ll still wear a mask whilst I start to venture into shops I haven’t been in for over a year, I’m not fussed what anyone else does if they give me space.

102 fan

Please try and give people wearing masks 2m space *if* you can do so. It is exceptionally tough on some of us who have had to shield (and immediate family & friends), and it’ll take us longer to adjust. We will all get there I’m sure, but the 2m to start with will massively help us adjust.

Whilst I’ll still wear a mask whilst I start to venture into shops I haven’t been in for over a year, I’m not fussed what anyone else does if they give me space.

Why should the rest of us give you space?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
It’s respectful to those who are anxious about returning to normal.

Whilst I personally don’t feel anxious and choose not to wear a mask or distance, I am conscious to be respectful of the feelings of others and I understand that many (particularly those who are vulnerable!) will be feeling very nervous after a year of locking down over this virus. I urge everyone to be mindful of this and give space to those who feel they aren’t quite ready for full normality just yet :)

brad465

Established Member
I've just been in a big Sainsbury's and a Tesco Extra, and mask usage seems to be almost universal, at least 80%. Maybe the sort of people who go to the supermarket early in the morning are more cautious than average? Sainsbury's have even removed all signage regarding face coverings and distancing. Even the one-way entrance and exit has gone. Tesco has kept all the same measures but just replaced the signage with different words that give a recommendation rather than an instruction.
Both those supermarkets gave reports last week saying they would encourage their use, so maybe many of the shoppers are following that. Can you recall if Sainsburys has stopped its tannoy announcements on face coverings?

nedchester

Established Member
That’s a point that I think is important. It works both ways, don’t ridicule those deciding they wish to wear them and don’t ridicule those who don’t.

Simple really.

Failed Unit

Established Member

I must admit, I saw a similar case in the media where someone was concerned that they would not get space to exercise now.

It is sad, as irrespective of Covid (as in before 2020) I would always give someone space, if the conditions allowed either to pass. I would wait if I encountered a narrow bridge and the other person was crossing it. It is common curtesy in my opinion and society should be doing it if possible to anyone Covid or not. No-one enjoys someone right up their behind in a queue.

To be considerate to fellow human beings? Is that too much to ask?

If you’re in an otherwise empty train carriage, choosing to not sit next to the passenger wearing a mask really doesn’t inconvenience you in any way whatsoever, but it will help them feel more comfortable.

Bishopstone

Established Member
About 75% wearing masks in Sainsbury’s this morning, although it’s predominantly pensioners at this time of day so not an entirely representative sample.

The Cafe tables have been rearranged following the end of mandatory social distancing, and signage changed to acknowledge that mask wearing is now voluntary (but encouraged).

RuralRambler

Why shouldn't you? In most places, it's simple to do and costs you nothing. There's nothing wrong with giving people space in "normal" times pre covid. No need to be in touching distance in normal cases. Obviously different when you can't, i.e. crowded places. But if you can, it's just normal courtesy not to get too close.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member

If you’re in an otherwise empty train carriage, choosing to not sit next to the passenger wearing a mask really doesn’t inconvenience you in any way whatsoever, but it will help them feel more comfortable.
Brighton station after 10pm was mayhem. People rushing to board a Thameslink train were standing in the doorways, so crowded were the carriages. Many were unmasked (2 hours before it was legal, quelle horreur) and late teens / early 20s.
I’m sorry, but if you CHOOSE to go somewhere that you know may attract large crowds, you can’t reasonably expect the overwhelming majority to bend to your view of the world. Social distancing is impossible in such circumstances, whether masks are worn or not

johncrossley

Established Member
Both those supermarkets gave reports last week saying they would encourage their use, so maybe many of the shoppers are following that. Can you recall if Sainsburys has stopped its tannoy announcements on face coverings?

I didn't hear it when I was there, but I was only there for about 5 minutes.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I’m sorry, but if you CHOOSE to go somewhere that you know may attract large crowds, you can’t reasonably expect the overwhelming majority to bend to your view of the world. Social distancing is impossible in such circumstances, whether masks are worn or not
This is important. You want 2 metres space in a supermarket? Fine. In a pub or club? No chance sunshine. If you go to somewhere where personal space wasn't really a thing pre-2020, don't go there now and expect to have a 2 metre bubble around you.

bengley

Established Member

I give everyone a reasonable amount of space, but someone wearing a mask is not a reliable indication they don't want someone sitting next to them on a train.

Some people are wearing masks because they think it's still mandatory, but I'm sure many of them wouldn't mind being sat next to.

RuralRambler

Brighton station after 10pm was mayhem. People rushing to board a Thameslink train were standing in the doorways, so crowded were the carriages. Many were unmasked (2 hours before it was legal, quelle horreur) and late teens / early 20s.
It's easy to say "avoid busy places" and, yes, people can if it's for social/pleasure. But, there may have been people who had no choice but to use that train, i.e. workers who's shifts had just finished and have no alternative travel method to get home. So, it's not quite so simple as to "victim blame" people who you think shouldn't have been there if they've vulnerable/worried etc.

I give everyone a reasonable amount of space, but someone wearing a mask is not a reliable indication they don't want someone sitting next to them on a train.

Some people are wearing masks because they think it's still mandatory, but I'm sure many of them wouldn't mind being sat next to.
The earlier poster mentioned an "otherwise empty" train, so, masks or not, covid or not, it's not courteous to sit next to someone, when you have the choice of dozens of other seats. Obviously, very different scenario if the train was half full and all available seats were next to someone.

johntea

Established Member
At least some sense of normality has returned to Leeds station in the fact the down escalator on P6-8 is out of order…again!

Must be the most unreliable escalator in the world :D

I said and stressed *IF*. If a tube is rammed then no I don’t expect half the carriage to vacate it to pander to someone in a mask.

But standing outside the Post Office for example, or on a platform, when there is ample space to socially distance, then why not?

Smidster

Basic human decency - You may be very happy today but we need to recognize that there are lots of people out there who are more scared today than at any stage over the last 16 months. They may have lost loved ones to this disease or been seriously ill themselves and while time will help to heal what has happened it will take time and for some that will take much longer than others and that is fine.

If you want people to respect your "personal responsibility" decisions then you absolutely must respect the choices that others make. It is not doing you any harm at all

Only went out for a quick walk this morning so nothing was open - only thing to report is that the barriers that were in place to widen the footpath on the high street have gone. Exciting times!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I must admit it does surprise me in these situation that many people do not consider they are part of the problem. In the earlier heatwave I local park near me had to shut because of overcrowding. The local paper got lots of letters complaining about how irresponsible people were, no social distancing etc. But they decided to go to said park, so why were they no surprised so many other people made the same decision for the same reasons. If I were to chose to get a train to Brighton / Bournemouth / Skegness (replace with popular seaside town) I would be surprised if the train wasn't standing as it got closer to its destination and if the beach was very full.

Iskra

Established Member

I believe official guidance is that the rule is a 1m distance for masked persons, this was the case throughout the entire pandemic. I don’t know if that rule has now been withdrawn however.

So, I don’t think you can expect to get 2m from everyone...

_toommm_

Established Member
Seems Arriva North East are still persisting with the ‘BUS FULL’ guff on the destination displays. Just gone past a single decker X93/94 that had it on the front.

bearhugger

I went to Middlesbrough town centre on the bus just after 0830 this morning so I could go to the Post Office in WHSmiths to renew my driving licence. On the bus it was pretty much the same people wearing masks, and the same person who wasn't wearing one but they had a sunflower lanyard and has been wearing one on the bus consistently over the last year or so. one guy got on without a mask but put one on after a couple of minutes (no-one made a fuss). In town, no really obvious drop in mask usage inside the shopping centre, although in the post office queue there was 1 person wearing mask under their chin and 1 under their nose.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I believe official guidance is that the rule is a 1m distance for masked persons, this was the case throughout the entire pandemic. I don’t know if that rule has now been withdrawn however.

So, I don’t think you can expect to get 2m from everyone...
I once had someone on a run shout after me "you should learn to respect social distancing", he was walking right down the middle of a wide path. It was definitely a case of there is always one that walks right down the middle, I encounter more where we do a silly dance to try and get out of each others way (which always raises a smile from both sides)

Status
Not open for further replies.