• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy2215

This morning at Sainsbury's the vast majority of people were wearing a mask. Though there were posters outside saying masks are a personal choice now and most of the protective screens have gone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
I must admit it does surprise me in these situation that many people do not consider they are part of the problem. In the earlier heatwave I local park near me had to shut because of overcrowding. The local paper got lots of letters complaining about how irresponsible people were, no social distancing etc. But they decided to go to said park, so why were they no surprised so many other people made the same decision for the same reasons. If I were to chose to get a train to Brighton / Bournemouth / Skegness (replace with popular seaside town) I would be surprised if the train wasn't standing as it got closer to its destination and if the beach was very full.
I would have thought the current heatwave is well timed with this relaxation, as more people stick to outside gatherings than inside ones.

Iskra

Established Member
I would have thought the current heatwave is well timed with this relaxation, as more people stick to outside gatherings than inside ones.
More significantly; it’s also the week before payday for most people...

DelayRepay

Established Member
Why should the rest of us give you space?

I will continue to give people space, where possible. That's common sense though - I wouldn't sit next to somebody else on a bus or train if there was a double seat empty for example.

What I won't do, though, is put myself to significant inconvenience in order to create space for someone else. By this I mean I won't be waiting for the next bus just because the first one's a bit busy.

Established Member
Please try and give people wearing masks 2m space *if* you can do so. It is exceptionally tough on some of us who have had to shield (and immediate family & friends), and it’ll take us longer to adjust. We will all get there I’m sure, but the 2m to start with will massively help us adjust.

I’m not going to do anything other than give the normal personal space I would have given you pre Covid. If you have a problem with that, I’m afraid it is simply that: your problem. My life has been disrupted quite enough over the last year and a half to pander to the terrified.

It’s respectful to those who are anxious about returning to normal.

I disagree. We really do need to get away from the idea that empty arbitrary gestures are necessary to show “respect” when really they are just empty virtue signalling. Measures should be mandated only the basis that there is clear evidence that they work, and for the minimum period necessary to achieve a defined and clear objective.

To be considerate to fellow human beings? Is that too much to ask?

If you’re in an otherwise empty train carriage, choosing to not sit next to the passenger wearing a mask really doesn’t inconvenience you in any way whatsoever, but it will help them feel more comfortable.

But what you’re describing there is already normal practice for most people. However if I get onto a busyish train I will sit down next to somebody wearing a mask if there are no other seats available. If that person has an issue with that they are free to stand up and move away
I once had someone on a run shout after me "you should learn to respect social distancing", he was walking right down the middle of a wide path. It was definitely a case of there is always one that walks right down the middle, I encounter more where we do a silly dance to try and get out of each others way (which always raises a smile from both sides)

Yes I had some neurotic shriek at me during a walk in a rural area a few weeks back. That’s the only real open hostility I’ve noticed since the pandemic began. I can’t publish what my reply was!

Last edited by a moderator:

bramling

Veteran Member
I will continue to give people space, where possible. That's common sense though - I wouldn't sit next to somebody else on a bus or train if there was a double seat empty for example.

What I won't do, though, is put myself to significant inconvenience in order to create space for someone else. By this I mean I won't be waiting for the next bus just because the first one's a bit busy.

Giving space to others is something which should happen anyway, if there’s space to do it. There’s a minority of people who have always behaved like pigs on this though, perhaps a lack of upbringing.

bengley

Established Member
I'm currently on 390119 heading into London from Wigan. In coach B, where I am sat, 32 people are in the coach. 6 are wearing masks

Iskra

Established Member
Absolutely not.

They are very distinct and law that says what you must do needs to be kept completely separate from what guidance that says what you should do.
Yes, but how does that matter to someone who is voluntarily wearing a mask but somehow expecting a permanent 2m bubble, when no such rule or guideline has ever existed for people wearing masks? Whatever you want to call it, it’s still an optimistic expectation at best.

Established Member
Yes, but how does that matter to someone who is voluntarily wearing a mask but somehow expecting a permanent 2m bubble, when no such rule or guideline has ever existed for people wearing masks? Whatever you want to call it, it’s still an optimistic expectation at best.

Social distancing has only ever been guidance, never a legal requirement (for very obvious reasons). People simply need to accept that part of normal human life is being in crowded situations sometimes, and nobody can create a 2m forcefield around themselves.

If people are uncomfortable then the only solution is for those individuals to exclude themselves from society. I suspect there has always been a strata of the population who do exactly this, for various reasons, often mental health issues such as agoraphobia. They have been emboldened by the recent Covid rules, and actively want restrictions to continue indefinitely.

Hawkwood Junc

Just been into the main shopping centre in Bromley to get some lunch. I'd say mask wearing was about 90%. The one way system has gone however!

102 fan

Because, where it's possible to do so, it costs nothing and is basic human decency and compassion toward someone who may be in a very different position to you.

Ok, it's a full train. Who doesn't get on? A majority of travellers who haven't got any complications so one passenger that has has space? Or the one who needs space waits for a less crowded one?

What did we do before Covid? Or were overcrowded trains a figment of my imagination?

roversfan2001

Established Member
Ok, it's a full train. Who doesn't get on? A majority of travellers who haven't got any complications so one passenger that has has space? Or the one who needs space waits for a less crowded one?

What did we do before Covid? Or were overcrowded trains a figment of my imagination?
You've just ignored the "where it's possible to do so" caveat then. :rolleyes:

Iskra

Established Member
Social distancing has only ever been guidance, never a legal requirement (for very obvious reasons). People simply need to accept that part of normal human life is being in crowded situations sometimes, and nobody can create a 2m forcefield around themselves.

If people are uncomfortable then the only solution is for those individuals to exclude themselves from society. I suspect there has always been a strata of the population who do exactly this, for various reasons, often mental health issues such as agoraphobia. They have been emboldened by the recent Covid rules, and actively want restrictions to continue indefinitely.
With this I quite agree.

Many people are conveniently forgetting that recreational social interaction is a choice. It's quite possible to continue to take a shielding stance apart from for employment, if you don't wish to encounter people not socially distancing.

island

Veteran Member
A quick walkabout just now and I observed the following:
  • Petrol station: still displaying “you must wear a face covering”. An enquiry to the manager revealed they were awaiting new signage which will read “face covering recommended”. No issues with my choice not to wear one. About two-thirds of customers and a quarter of staff had them on.
  • A local pharmacy displayed an NHS-branded, laser-printed notice saying “You’ll still need to wear a face covering in pharmacies after 19th July”. (I didn’t go in.)
  • A chain pharmacy stated “we hope you will continue to choose to wear a face covering and they’ll be required when accessing our pharmacy or optical services”. It was pretty deserted but all staff were still masked.
  • A supermarket’s notice was “wearing a face covering is now a personal choice but we hope you’ll continue to wear one if you can to keep other customers and colleagues safe”. About two-thirds of customers and slightly more staff were wearing them.
  • Two local greasy spoon caffs had no masks nor signage about them
  • One independent pub still had mask-required signage but it was unclear whether they just hadn’t gotten round to removing it
  • Two chain pubs and one other independent pub had taken all mask signs down. Some staff had masks.

GodAtum

On Moderation
At Farringdon today, changing from Thameslink to TFL. No staff bothered to tell me to put mine on when I entered the TFL zone.

jkkne

I popped into town today to get some air and I didn't really notice too much of a difference to be frank.

There's a fairly large business park nearby and the office car parks were deserted (I would guess that will continue as very few people seem to be going back full time).

. Most of the local independent shops had polite notices asking if you wouldn't mind popping a mask on, majority seemed to do it.

Many have left their screens up as they don't trust they won't need to go the expense of replacing them come winter.

In Morrisons, the vast majority of shoppers had a mask on but there was no challenge just a polite notice. All staff did aside those behind the counter in the cafe. It didn't really feel any different.

I had a swift pint in my local and they are maintaining masks and table service for those that want it but also opening the bar (it's more a foodie pub tbf)

Failed Unit

Established Member
My wander around town is pretty similar to Islands

• One way systems are gone (where they existed)
  • No restrictions on the number of people that are allowed in shops (so everyone is queuing inside rather than outside).
  • Signage changed in some places and not others.
  • Inside the shopping centre probably about 50% wearing masks correctly (lots of chin warmers)
  • Stopping for my take away about 50% wearing masks, no mandate for staff to so most were not (as it was hot in there)
The only place I actually felt uncomfortable was CEX - I was the only one that wasn't wearing a mask but the shop was like an over so I left - which I would have done back in 2019 and no-one had head of covid.

A lot of people were wearing the blues disposal masks, I suspect once they are no more good they won't buy replacements, we will see. I suspect the people that have invested in washable cloth ones that can be washed are more likely to continue as "it costs them nothing"

102 fan

You've just ignored the "where it's possible to do so" caveat then. :rolleyes:

I haven't ignored it, just presenting a possible scenario to illustrate the problems when a mask wearer requests space. Or are busy trains not going to happen in your ideal world? Now if you'd care to get off your high horse and join the real world, what would you do in that scenario?

Or how would you like a member of staff to police it? If you were told you couldn't get on as there are mask wearers who require space would you accept that?

I do appreciate this requires you to actually reply as opposed to making snide comments.

455refurb

My original post clearly said, "where it's possible to do so". It won't always be possible, but where it is, even before Covid no need to crowd people when it's not necessary.

I'd expect those who are uncomfortable with restrictions easing, or have a medical need to keep their face covered or remain distanced, would plan to travel at quieter times and avoid busy services anyway.

Observations from a quick lunchtime walkabout: the local co-op has replaced 'It is mandatory to wear a face covering in this store' with 'Feel free to wear a face covering in our store'. All social distancing markers removed.

The local bakery has removed all signage, as has the Sainsbury's Local.

In terms of numbers of people wearing masks, not much change vs. last week.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I haven't ignored it, just presenting a possible scenario to illustrate the problems when a mask wearer requests space. Or are busy trains not going to happen in your ideal world? Now if you'd care to get off your high horse and join the real world, what would you do in that scenario?

Or how would you like a member of staff to police it? If you were told you couldn't get on as there are mask wearers who require space would you accept that?

I do appreciate this requires you to actually reply as opposed to making snide comments.
If it was my ideal world then there wouldn't be people wanting 2 metres around them at all times, but in the real world there are people who want that, and it's reasonable to respect their wishes (where possible). I refer you to the comment I posted on this very thread this morning:
This is important. You want 2 metres space in a supermarket? Fine. In a pub or club? No chance sunshine. If you go to somewhere where personal space wasn't really a thing pre-2020, don't go there now and expect to have a 2 metre bubble around you.

You don't appear to be very good at actually understanding people's replies to you. It might be worth actually reading people's comments before spouting nonsense about high horses and the real world, when there's only one person here who doesn't seem to grasp 'the real world'.

MikeWM

Established Member
Cinemas seem to be a mixed picture - based on websites, rather than visits (yet).

Odeon : 'Face masks are now optional, please respect others’ decisions' (<-- an excellent way to put it, IMO). All seats now available.

Cineworld : 'In our cinemas in England, face coverings ... will no longer be mandatory from July 19... . However, we are encouraging our employees to continue wearing face coverings and we will continue to provide face masks to our teams.' All seats now available (I think).

Vue : don't seem to have anything obvious about Covid on their website at all (!) though on booking they don't appear to be selling all seats yet.

Picturehouse : don't appear to have updated their website. Still talks about mandatory masks, mandatory contact tracing, rule of six, etc. etc.

Light : don't appear to have updated their website, but you have to dig around a bit to find their Covid section anyway. A lot more seats are available than before, but they still seem to be leaving a one seat gap between groups.

BFI (London) : still reduced seating, 'face coverings strongly recommended'. They're still restricting access to the building to ticket holders only, and no walk-up purchases. I spent a few minutes sitting opposite the building on Saturday watching people going in - the whole experience looked more akin to getting on a plane than going to see a film. A shame - I used to really enjoy going here, and did so regularly, but I won't be while they are continuing this nonsense.

Prince Charles (London) : 'Customers are still required to wear face coverings when attending our venue!' They were going to make all seats available, but 'we’ve spent the past couple of weeks discussing internally and listening to your feedback regarding this decision and this, along with the ever changing greater situation outside the cinemas walls, has made us feel like we’d made the wrong choice' so now they're keeping some seats free. Again, this is a shame - I'm a life member here and used to love the place, but I won't be going while they're acting like this.

L401CJF

Established Member
Done a 7 hour shift driving buses this morning, 95% mask usage. Big surprise as I thought it'd be well down. I think there's a lot of confusion as to whether they still have to be worn on buses or not, given all the news coverage regarding them remaining mandatory on TfL (despite me working in Merseyside).

bramling

Veteran Member
Done a 7 hour shift driving buses this morning, 95% mask usage. Big surprise as I thought it'd be well down. I think there's a lot of confusion as to whether they still have to be worn on buses or not, given all the news coverage regarding them remaining mandatory on TfL (despite me working in Merseyside).

Just on Tyne & Wear Metro for a brief journey. About 20 in the metrocar, I can see 5 wearing masks. This is marginally down on what has been typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.