• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Just been to the local square.

Sainsbury's Local - Signs changed outside to reflect mask choice but barriers to try and enforce a one way system are still there and tape still remains. Nobody in apart from me so it was 100% maskless and staff never enquired.
Charity Shop - Signs taken down about masks and again only me so 100% maskless, again no enquiry from staff.
Asda - It's one of the smaller ones so not a great amount of people in but it was about 60% in favour of masks. Screens remain but all tape and what were quite literally hundreds of signs and stickers littering every shelf, fridge and freezer are now gone. Near enough normal, no mention of masks from staff and Asda radio wasn't interrupted constantly by messaging.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

As the person who brought up the 2m space:-

No, I don’t expect staff anywhere to police it.

No, I don’t expect people to leave a room/train/whatever to give space to someone in a mask. I stated “where possible”. On a busy train it clearly wouldn’t be possible.

No, I personally will not be travelling on the tube or train or bus at all, for the foreseeable future. Not until I feel comfortable with it. And when I do it’ll be on off-peak services to start with.

Yes, I am still shopping online, avoiding social contact etc. I am not expecting to go about my daily social life like I did in 2019 with a magical 2m bubble around me.

All I am trying to explain is that some of us have been strongly advised to take even further restrictions than the general population for the previous 18 months. Some of us have no idea how well the vaccines have worked for us due to compromised immune systems. It will take some of us longer to feel comfortable ditching the masks and going back to social contact and “close” queuing etc like we had in 2019.

I’m essentially just asking/hoping that people might think “they’re still wearing a mask, I should try and give them more space if I can”, nothing more than that.

And it’s not something I expect forever either. We’ll either feel comfortable enough to ditch the masks ourselves in a few days/weeks or we’ll get used to being around other people again whilst still wearing a mask and minimising what we do.

Failed Unit

Established Member
As the person who brought up the 2m space:-

No, I don’t expect staff anywhere to police it.

No, I don’t expect people to leave a room/train/whatever to give space to someone in a mask. I stated “where possible”. On a busy train it clearly wouldn’t be possible.

No, I personally will not be travelling on the tube or train or bus at all, for the foreseeable future. Not until I feel comfortable with it. And when I do it’ll be on off-peak services to start with.

Yes, I am still shopping online, avoiding social contact etc. I am not expecting to go about my daily social life like I did in 2019 with a magical 2m bubble around me.

All I am trying to explain is that some of us have been strongly advised to take even further restrictions than the general population for the previous 18 months. Some of us have no idea how well the vaccines have worked for us due to compromised immune systems. It will take some of us longer to feel comfortable ditching the masks and going back to social contact and “close” queuing etc like we had in 2019.

I’m essentially just asking/hoping that people might think “they’re still wearing a mask, I should try and give them more space if I can”, nothing more than that.

And it’s not something I expect forever either. We’ll either feel comfortable enough to ditch the masks ourselves in a few days/weeks or we’ll get used to being around other people again whilst still wearing a mask and minimising what we do.
It would be worth you checking loadings of trains if the TOC you plan to use, offers the expected loadings app (EMR for example do). On some routes it is actually busier off peak then it is in the peak. The leisure passengers in some areas are recovering faster then the commuting traffic.

It would be worth you checking loadings of trains if the TOC you plan to use, offers the expected loadings app (EMR for example do). On some routes it is actually busier off peak then it is in the peak. The leisure passengers in some areas are recovering faster then the commuting traffic.

That’s really helpful to know, thank you. It would be EMR and possibly Northern I’d be using too (but can avoid Northern if they don’t publicise loadings). I’ll have a look now.

Simon11

Established Member
3.30pm on the metropolitan line on an open air section of the route and 50/50 on wearing face mask.

Tracked

Established Member
Just popped into a couple after work, both fairly quiet at this time anyway so can't comment on spacing:

Halfords: Signs up asking customers to continue mask wearing & social distancing, the handful of people in all masked, except the member of staff who had one dangling off one ear!

Morrisons: sign that you must wear a Facemask still up at one entrance, the one that used to be the entrance when it was one way, but not at the other one. Mask wearing probably about 2/3rds, mainly older shoppers, with the younger ones - particularly the men - not so much.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Was in the post office / One Stop earlier and they weren’t requesting or enforcing masks. I notice on my commute home right now that NXWM have torn down all the posters/stickers on the bus about distancing and masks. Will be popping into Spoons shortly and I’d imagine the same. Edit: signs in Spoons still up but most customers walking around maskless and unimpeded. I walked straight past the T&T booth on my way in and nobody said a word.

Last edited:

PR1Berske

Established Member
Booth's here in Preston, about ten minutes ago. A "greeter" on the door wearing a mask. About 90% of customers wearing masks. Compliance still very high here.

bramling

Veteran Member
A baker’s in North Tyneside this afternoon, sign outside “From today we EXPECT YOU to wear a mask inside this shop, we will continue to refuse service to people who do not do the right thing”. No mention of exemptions.

Failed Unit

Established Member
A baker’s in North Tyneside this afternoon, sign outside “From today we EXPECT YOU to wear a mask inside this shop, we will continue to refuse service to people who do not do the right thing”. No mention of exemptions.
I wouldn't ask, if they don't want my business who cares (but might threaten them with discrimination if I had nothing better to do)

duncanp

Established Member
Nice to see that some people are leading by example and ditching the face nappies.

Hopefully this will induce others to follow suit.

In all the photographs accompanying the article, there is not a single mask in sight, which makes a change from that sad picture of The Queen all muzzled up at her husband's funeral.

Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles ditch face masks for Exeter visit​

Couple welcomed by around 100 people in blazing sunshine at start of their three-day annual tour of Devon and Cornwall

The Duchess of Cornwall expressed hope that the country is over the worst of the Covid pandemic as she and the Prince of Wales ditched their face masks for a royal visit.

Her comment came during an impromptu walkabout in the grounds of Exeter Cathedral, where she met members of the public in numbers not seen for more than a year.

But the Duchess sounded a cautious note, telling one well-wisher the nation had to be careful and another that she had not quite got round to shaking hands with people again.

Although both royals went mask-free, an aide said: "If they are visiting a museum and the museum's policy is that it still asks people to wear masks, then they will respect that."

Earlier this month, the Duchess revealed she was looking forward to ditching her mask, telling a Welsh college student: "I can't wait to get rid of these."

Details of the couple's visit to the cathedral, which marked the start of their three-day annual tour of Devon and Cornwall, were released in advance – another sign of a return to normality that meant around 100 people turned out in blazing sunshine to welcome them.

The couple, greeted with cheers as they arrived, met representatives from community groups including the Devon Wildlife Trust and Parklife Heavitree to hear about their work.

The Duchess also met workers from the Exeter City Community Trust, chatting to volunteers about its homeless outreach programme.

She then made a beeline for a queue of residents who had been waiting for the royals to arrive. She chatted to Exeter resident Sarah Clarke, who said afterwards: "She said it's lovely to be here and hopefully we're over the worst of it, and I said 'fingers crossed'. She also said we've just got to be careful."

Monday has been described as "Freedom Day'', with most legal Covid restrictions in England lifted as the Government moves to step four of its roadmap.

For the first time since March last year, the two-metre rule is no longer being enforced and face coverings are no longer required by law, but the Government has said it "expects and recommends'' that they are worn in crowded locations such as public transport.

The royal couple also chatted to Tuesday Masding, a senior healthcare assistant with the North Devon Healthcare Trust.

The NHS worker said after speaking to the Duchess: "We were just discussing the relaxation of rules and how she hasn't quite got around to shaking hands with people, and I said that's probably an appropriate reaction."

Prince Charles, who is patron of the Exeter Cathedral Development Appeal, met donors and fundraisers as well as young people from Devon Nursing Cadets to formally launch the Royal College of Nursing Prince of Wales Nursing Cadet Scheme in England.

He also spoke to staff from the Met Office, who are working in collaboration with the cathedral and Exeter University on climate change research.

The Dean of Exeter, the Very Reverend Jonathan Greener, hailed the visit, saying: "It was a wonderful experience on such a lovely day – the first day of freedom. What more could you ask for?

"The sun's shining, we don't have to wear masks, they were both on sunny form – it was marvellous, and they were so interested in what people were telling them."

The Prince later paid a visit to St Sidwell's Bus Depot in Exeter, meeting the transport workers and "Net Zero Heroes" involved in the city council's project to achieve Net Zero carbon emissions by 2030.

The Duchess, meanwhile, went to textile and homeware company Weaver Green at Heron Valley Orchards, Loddiswell, in Kingsbridge.

Ted633

Just got back from my local Lidl in Surrey. No signs the doors at all to do with masks/social distancing.
Mask compliance was very high here (only the odd person, who may of been exempt anyway). Usage was still up at about 80%, but interestingly none of the staff were wearing them!

GodAtum

On Moderation
Anyone not wearing a mask on TFL buses and if so have they been caught?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Mask compliance still high based on my observations. Maybe down very slightly, but still far more commonplace than not.

The local Sainsbury's has removed its one way systems.

Nice to see that some people are leading by example and ditching the face nappies.

Hopefully this will induce others to follow suit.

In all the photographs accompanying the article, there is not a single mask in sight, which makes a change from that sad picture of The Queen all muzzled up at her husband's funeral.

????

At no point in the article do they appear to "ditch" masks. Only for the outside bit where they were never needed anyway.

Read more than just the headline...

DannyMich2018

We're on holiday in Devon till Friday. The train from Dawlish Warren to Exeter-I'd say about 70% on train had face coverings on. Different story at the Tesco though at least 90% had them on in there and a few people had them on outside too. Looked like compliance high on buses too and other shops.

island

Veteran Member
In the afternoon I took two Southeastern, a Southern, and a Thameslink train.

Around half of passengers wore masks.

All the hectoring announcements have been dropped.

I also went to another café, a McDonald’s, and a Wetherspoons, where mask observance was low (except the McDonald’s staff who were all masked).

An old gentleman at Wetherspoons was very delighted to be able to order at the bar again.

No masks required either in the several chain shops I visited and no challenge or trouble at any point.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Been around Paddington and onto Regents Park. I wouldn't say there was a noticeable different to mask wearing on station - same as it has been for the past few months. Still fairly high compliance - can't hurt that both TfL and Heathrow Express are still requiring it but plenty seeming to be waiting for GWR trains with masks on. Whether once people are on trains its different is another matter.

martin2345uk

Established Member
The c2c train I’m currently on is still playing recorded announcements saying you must wear masks on their trains and in their stations unless exempt.

Class 33

Established Member
Posted this content on the Covid Restrictions Support Conversation. But for those of you not in that, I'll post it here too, along with an additional paragraph at the end.

So on that bus into central Bristol I was just on(this morning), about 75 percent of people still wearing masks! What the ???!! This was really really not what I predicted or hoped for. Really hope things improve as the week goes on.

At Bristol bus station and still all the the social distancing and face masks signs all still up!

Very disappointing this morning with the amount of mask wearing on the bus. Wasn't expecting it to anywhere near that high atall. I couldn't believe it!

However on the journey back I noticed an improvement. When I boarded I was amazed to see that there were around 70% of people WITHOUT masks! However during the next few stops and more people boarding, that did turn around a bit to maybe about 60% wearing face masks. So some decline in mask wearing compared to this morning from my observations.

Went into Sainsbury's just now. Probably about 70% mask wearers.

Overall disappointing so far though. But hopefully as the days and weeks go on, the amount of mask wearing will receed. No idea how fast or slow that will be though. But if it doesn't start receeding, this could be very worrying as the government will see the vast majority of people are still wearing face masks in shops, public transport, etc, and may reimpose the legality to wear them again.

Also I note that on all the First buses in Bristol today, all STILL have the "FACE COVERINGS MUST BE WORN" on the destination displays! Also "Wear face masks at all times..." stickers on most of the windows! And silly pre-recorded PA announcements saying "Don't let it slip. Your mask cover your nose and mouth for your entire journey."!!! Ridiculous!!!! All of this should have been removed from all buses today!!!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Very disappointing this morning with the amount of mask wearing on the bus. Wasn't expecting it to anywhere near that high atall. I couldn't believe it!

Overall disappointing so far though. But hopefully as the days and weeks go on, the amount of mask wearing will receed. No idea how fast or slow that will be though. But if it doesn't start receeding, this could be very worrying as the government will see the vast majority of people are still wearing face masks in shops, public transport, etc, and may reimpose the legality to wear them again.

Why are you disappointed by personal choice? It works both ways.

Class 33

Established Member
Why are you disappointed by personal choice? It works both ways.

Because the messaging is still saying face masks MUST be worn at all times on the buses. This is out of date now. These messages are now redundant. It is no longer mandatory to wear face masks on public transport. Either they remove all this messaging, or they at least change it to recognise that it's now personal choice whether or not you wear a face mask on buses.

And at Bristol Bus Station still all the signs for social distancing and face masks, and black and yellow hazzard tape plastered all over the place! Absolutely ridiculous! You'd think they're not even aware that social distancing and face mask restrictions ended at 11:59pm last night! Even spotted some posters there with the "STAY ALERT. CONTROL THE VIRUS. SAVE LIVES" slogan on, which is months out of date now.

The c2c train I’m currently on is still playing recorded announcements saying you must wear masks on their trains and in their stations unless exempt.

Ridiculous! As with the likes of First Bus in Bristol and I expect a number of other transport operators, they're either not aware that face masks restrictions have now been scrapped, or they're just very lazy at removing all these pre-recorded PA announcements, signage, etc from their trains and stations.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Because the messaging is still saying face masks MUST be worn at all times on the buses. This is out of date now. These messages are now redundant. It is no longer mandatory to wear face masks on public transport. Either they remove all this messaging, or they at least change it to recognise that it's now personal choice whether or not you wear a face mask on buses.

And at Bristol Bus Station still all the signs for social distancing and face masks, and black and yellow hazzard tape plastered all over the place! Absolutely ridiculous! You'd think they're not even aware that social distancing and face mask restrictions ended at 11:59pm last night! Even spotted some posters there with the "STAY ALERT. CONTROL THE VIRUS. SAVE LIVES" slogan on, which is months out of date now.

Ridiculous! As with the likes of First Bus in Bristol and I expect a number of other transport operators, they're either not aware that face masks restrictions have now been scrapped, or they're just very lazy at removing all these pre-recorded PA announcements, signage, etc from their trains and stations.

That's not what you said above. You said it was "very disappointing" and I was just curious what you were so disappointed about considering its a user's choice to wear it? If I chose to wear one should I be "very disappointed" in all those who don't?

It's the first day - I'd expect it to be a little bit of time until all the systems get turned off & updated and every single poster and bit of tape is removed.

GodAtum

On Moderation
BTP PSCO on Thameslink telling people they need to mask up as it's getting busy under Section 6.8 of the National Rail bylaws

No person shall molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway.

nedchester

Established Member
That's not what you said above. You said it was "very disappointing" and I was just curious what you were so disappointed about considering its a user's choice to wear it? If I chose to wear one should I be "very disappointed" in all those who don't?

It's the first day - I'd expect it to be a little bit of time until all the systems get turned off & updated and every single poster and bit of tape is removed.
Spot on. It's about respecting each others positions.

Saying you are disappointed about people wearing masks is as bad as those filling messages like 'I wear a mask because I care' type stuff.

takno

Established Member

It's difficult to say what the best outcome is overall. There's a possibility that if usage really falls then the government will declare that they tried, but people misused the illusion of trust, and now they are force to re-mandate them. There's also some potential that if usage remains high the government will decide to bring the few bad apples back in line by re-mandating them.

To be honest I think the best bet is probably to do whatever you think is best, and hope for an unlikely outbreak of common sense from the government.

RPI

Established Member
BTP PSCO on Thameslink telling people they need to mask up as it's getting busy under Section 6.8 of the National Rail bylaws
That could work either way, people wearing masks could be deemed to be wilfully interfering with the comfort of passengers not. (Yes far fetched and hypothetical)

Status
Not open for further replies.