• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
I went to Asda today, first time to a supermarket since Monday .

My observations were those with no masks were keeping distance from everyone still effectively social distancing.
The majority with masks were pushing and barging into each other’s personal space with no social distancing at all.
I felt more comfortable around those with no masks on. As my only time since Monday I can’t say if this is a common thing or not

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mainline421

A lot of the postings here expressing dismay about publicity, announcements or even just people continuing to wear masks at all seem to assume that there is a pent up well of people who are complying only out of fear of getting in trouble and I'm honestly not sure that's the case. I would hope (though I suppose the British public never cease to amaze me) that people are aware enough of what has been said over the last few weeks to make their own choice.
There are a lot of people doing this. I saw one person board wearing a mask, take it off after a while, then put it back on when the guard came through. Second time they just held the mask and looked alert until they passed. This was despite the fact that virtually no one else in the carriage was wearing one and the guard had it under his chin.

On buses I've seen numerous people of all ages put masks on to board then remove once seated, despite many being in large ques of people not bothering with this. Granted this could be because they think it's somehow higher risk walking around, but unlikely as in most cases every row was taken so there was no distancing.

Also had a friend of mine who hates wearing masks (but not anti-lockdown) text me yesterday claiming "[expletive]
grocery shops, tube, museums They all require it" And someone else insist on going back to get a mask "encase the pub requires it" (though they did not wear when it was clear they didn't).

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I could perhaps have put it better.

A lot of the postings here expressing dismay about publicity, announcements or even just people continuing to wear masks at all seem to assume that there is a pent up well of people who are complying only out of fear of getting in trouble and I'm honestly not sure that's the case. I would hope (though I suppose the British public never cease to amaze me) that people are aware enough of what has been said over the last few weeks to make their own choice.

Prime example. Earlier I travelled on a pair of trains with in one case all seats taken and standees for a short journey, very much pre COVID levels of busy, and in the other a long journey of over 4 hours with pretty much all seats taken albeit no standees. In both cases most people were wearing masks, and in only one case did the law require it (the first train, into Edinburgh). The fact that mask wearing was optional was very clear from the on board announcements. Despite this most people chose to continue to wear a mask apart from the odd break to eat or drink, myself included. I think there were 2 passengers sat together who chose not to in the whole coach and that was fine. No one gave them any grief and the staff treated them no differently.

However I later visited a beer festival in a well ventilated space with lots of people I know anyway. No one at all wore a mask at any point.

That for me is the definition of freedom to make a reasoned, respected decision and neither scenario is anything to be concerned about, if you approach it from a natural standpoint to begin with. Busy train, most people wore masks. No problem. Well spread and ventilated beer festival - nobody did, also no problem.

Yet reading a fair number of the replies to this thread the passengers on busy trains choosing en masse to wear masks is something to disapprove of.
The ardent anti-maskers have a bit of a problem. For months they have portrayed themselves as the majority and now when masks aren’t compulsory but the majority are still wearing them when they determine they should it has proved them wrong. Quite a few of them have also inextricably linked mask wearing with a lack of freedom and they either refuse to accept or don’t understand that to many masks are irrelevant to freedom and they can happily go about their business wearing one.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
The ardent anti-maskers have a bit of a problem. For months they have portrayed themselves as the majority and now when masks aren’t compulsory but the majority are still wearing them when they determine they should it has proved them wrong. Quite a few of them have also inextricably linked mask wearing with a lack of freedom and they either refuse to accept or don’t understand that to many masks are irrelevant to freedom and they can happily go about their business wearing one.

I don’t think anti maskers have presented that they’re the majority, however in London I’m seeing less masks on public transport, even on TfL trains where it’s mandatory still.

Masks have become nothing more than a comfort blanket at this stage anyway.

Jamiescott1

I no longer wear a mask (to be fair I've hardly bothered for the past year) but I'm glad that a lot of people still are.
Hopefully with the high number of people still wearing masks, the government won't mandate their wearing again.

DanNCL

Established Member
Newcastle station this evening, plenty of people around and only about 10% wearing masks out of the public. For staff it was around 50% wearing masks.

Mask wearing at my local hairdressers this afternoon was zero amongst both staff and customers.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Seemed to be plenty of either persuasion on my train today:

"Mask-ony and non-mask-ony, live together in perfect harmony"...

J-2739

Established Member
Mask use, as I predicted, has fallen in my area compared to Monday, with about 40% now masked in public and shopping centres. Even less on public transport.

Masking in convinience stores has held up at near universal levels, however.

Class 33

Established Member
That's quite a decent number of passengers too - did it seem like a lot of them were going out in Bristol?

Well couldn't really tell for sure if a lot of them were actually travelling to Bristol for leisure purposes, or whether they were coming back from somewhere else. Some got out at intermediate stops before central Bristol. Though a fair number got off in central Bristol. Either way though, was excellent to see such a large majority of people on that service without masks! Great stuff!

Ostrich

First visit to a supermarket since Freedom Day. Waitrose, this evening, small town location but a good mix of ages, teenagers through to seniors, reasonably busy.

I'd say approaching 90% of customers were wearing masks.
And about 60% of "colleagues" likewise.

farleigh

The ardent anti-maskers have a bit of a problem. For months they have portrayed themselves as the majority and now when masks aren’t compulsory but the majority are still wearing them when they determine they should it has proved them wrong.
I think objection for the most part was against mask mandation not masks per se. if people want to wear a piece of cloth over their mouth and believe that it will (and indeed has managed to) stop a virus then that is up to them. They can wear a tinfoil hat if they think it helps - I would just prefer they did not ask me to.

Class 33

Established Member
There are a lot of people doing this. I saw one person board wearing a mask, take it off after a while, then put it back on when the guard came through. Second time they just held the mask and looked alert until they passed. This was despite the fact that virtually no one else in the carriage was wearing one and the guard had it under his chin.

On buses I've seen numerous people of all ages put masks on to board then remove once seated, despite many being in large ques of people not bothering with this. Granted this could be because they think it's somehow higher risk walking around, but unlikely as in most cases every row was taken so there was no distancing.

Also had a friend of mine who hates wearing masks (but not anti-lockdown) text me yesterday claiming "[expletive]
grocery shops, tube, museums They all require it" And someone else insist on going back to get a mask "encase the pub requires it" (though they did not wear when it was clear they didn't).

I'm still seeing a number of people who board buses with their face mask, take it off(or lower it to their chins) when they get to their seat, and then put it on again when they get off. I think most of these people don't seem to realise it's no longer mandatory to wear them on buses anymore. It doesn't help that here in Bristol there are still many buses which have face masks/coverings must be worn on the destination displays(alternating with the service number and destination). On the front destination displays it says this "FACE MASKS MUST BE WORN, UNLESS YOU ARE EXEMPT. IT'S THE LAW!". These buses shouldn't have these messages on their destination displays anymore! It's no longer the law to wear face masks on buses!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just been talking to a family member in France, seems that from August, if you have not been vaccinated, and / or have refused a jab, you will NOT be able to go to school, nor will you be able to go to work....and if you do not go to work, the state will not pay you either !
(I assume you will be able to go to the shops for food tho)

I was thinking about splitting some of the discussion about this into a new thread but I haven’t been able to find a definitive news article about it. Has anyone seen anything about it?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Another pub trip today, this time for lunch.

About half wearing a mask while walking through Temple Meads (so a bit up from Wednesday night), about half wearing a mask on the train itself as far as I could see in my carriage (so a bit down from the other night) and we sat outside the pub ordering via the app so didn't go inside but nobody was wearing a mask outside and I noticed some people who were going into the pub wearing one and some others not, but as we weren't inside it was hard to get a proper feeling.

Very much appreciated the app ordering as it meant I didn't have to queue in what is basically a greenhouse where the pub has their bar!

A few people have mentioned buses and trains still in service with out of date posters etc, I'll say once again that I'd imagine such posters will disappear over time as those units / buses are properly looked at. I can't imagine operator's will be too quick to specifically take them out of service just to change posters etc - it makes much more sense to just do it as and when they can.

Alex C.

I ventured out for a shopping trip today in search of something in particular - challenging due to stock issues - 3 mini supermarkets (Tesco, Sainburys and Coop) and 1 convenience store - in all I found that customers were wearing masks at about 80-90% - pretty much identical to pre July 19 levels, and staff at around 50% - i guess it's a lot easier to wear a mask for a 5 minute visit than an 8 hour shift. Where I live is a very student area and almost everyone I saw was younger than 35, so i'm not sure if age factors into it.

Bikeman78

Established Member
If I was of school age, that would be an incentive for me to refuse the jab. I hated school so it would be win win.
Yes that does seem to be an obvious flaw in the plan!

I wonder how the French got over Spanish flu for which there wasn't a vaccine?

takno

Established Member
There‘s plenty of them but they’re mostly in French :smile:

Here’s an English one: https://www.france24.com/en/france/...uel-french-opposition-to-covid-19-health-pass
Pretty awful article. Seems to basically just summarise the frankly not particularly balanced opinions of a British academic of no particular note, as he makes a range of sweeping generalisations about protests which he doesn't appear to have attended, in a country where he doesn't appear to be located. This commentary is supported by some comments in the crowd "overheard" by a reporter from a not-exactly-unbiased newspaper, and some entirely unsupported speculation by the author himself.

A poll is also quoted which shows relatively narrow support for a health passport in general and restrictions on health workers. The scope creep in vaccine passport requirements since that poll has been huge.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I refer you to my previous posts; people do not want to stand out. Once it reaches a critical mass, people are happy to discard their masks.

For example as we were walking along Platform 1 at Paddington today we saw the 2103 to Plymouth departing and it was noticeable how in some coaches very few people were wearing masks, while in others most were not.

The idea that the majority of the population wants to wear them, let alone be forced to wear them, is absolutely absurd.

johntea

Established Member
Certainly back to business as usual at midnight in Leeds station McDonalds :D

WestRiding

Update to my return Journey yesterday. 1713 from Littlehampton, around 50/50 masks.
1851 Croydon to St Pancras, very busy, most wearing masks.
At St Pancras, it was rather annoying to see the National Rail ticket office still with its posters saying you must wear a mask, its the Law.

2003 EMR to Sheffield. In my coach maybe 30% not wearing a mask, previously 60% before the overzealous guard came on before departure, saying masks are mandatory. By Leicester, he had changed it to 'encourage'.

Shop wise, no problems what so ever, in Littlehampton, I would say the older end were wearing masks, the younger end not so much.

For my rail travel from now on, I have saved the Railway Delivery Group web page to my phone in case of any guards making up their own rules for travel, like it appeared was about to happen with EMR home. (the 0700 EMR from Sheffield on the other hand, Covid wasn't mentioned once).

From a railway perspective, the TOCs really need to get their act together and in line with each other. Old posters stating its the law. Occasional staff saying you 'must' wear a mask. A guards persoal opinion should not overrule RDG/Government guidance (regardless of whether you think its right or wrong)

I won't knock anyone for wearing a mask, I don't care, BUT I do think a lot less would be wearing them, if it wasn't for staff having their own rules, or announcements contradictory to guidance, like I said, a lot of people got on the 2003 EMR from St Pancras without masks and only put them on upon the guards version of guidance. The train was busy, but not crowded.

35B

Established Member
Pretty awful article. Seems to basically just summarise the frankly not particularly balanced opinions of a British academic of no particular note, as he makes a range of sweeping generalisations about protests which he doesn't appear to have attended, in a country where he doesn't appear to be located. This commentary is supported by some comments in the crowd "overheard" by a reporter from a not-exactly-unbiased newspaper, and some entirely unsupported speculation by the author himself.

A poll is also quoted which shows relatively narrow support for a health passport in general and restrictions on health workers. The scope creep in vaccine passport requirements since that poll has been huge.
Hmm, I read that differently, in particular the following paragraph:
Tellingly, when Philippot was addressing the Paris rally and introduced a man called Benjamin onto the stage, saying, “He got vaccinated, but that was his choice,” there was an awkward moment of hesitation in the crowd, Le Figaro reported. It then erupted into cheers when Philippot said, “But he’s against the health pass!” as Benjamin ripped up his vaccination certificate.
That suggests something about the general attitudes of those motivated enough to attend the demonstration.

Class 33

Established Member
Update to my return Journey yesterday. 1713 from Littlehampton, around 50/50 masks.
1851 Croydon to St Pancras, very busy, most wearing masks.
At St Pancras, it was rather annoying to see the National Rail ticket office still with its posters saying you must wear a mask, its the Law.

2003 EMR to Sheffield. In my coach maybe 30% not wearing a mask, previously 60% before the overzealous guard came on before departure, saying masks are mandatory. By Leicester, he had changed it to 'encourage'.

Shop wise, no problems what so ever, in Littlehampton, I would say the older end were wearing masks, the younger end not so much.

For my rail travel from now on, I have saved the Railway Delivery Group web page to my phone in case of any guards making up their own rules for travel, like it appeared was about to happen with EMR home. (the 0700 EMR from Sheffield on the other hand, Covid wasn't mentioned once).

From a railway perspective, the TOCs really need to get their act together and in line with each other. Old posters stating its the law. Occasional staff saying you 'must' wear a mask. A guards persoal opinion should not overrule RDG/Government guidance (regardless of whether you think its right or wrong)

I won't knock anyone for wearing a mask, I don't care, BUT I do think a lot less would be wearing them, if it wasn't for staff having their own rules, or announcements contradictory to guidance, like I said, a lot of people got on the 2003 EMR from St Pancras without masks and only put them on upon the guards version of guidance. The train was busy, but not crowded.

I agree, a lot less people should be wearing them. But things are heading in the right direction as far as my observations.

If I was on one of those services you mentioned with the guards saying masks are mandatory, I'd have completely ignored and kept my mask off(in fact I don't have a mask now anyway as I've binned it!). Masks are not mandatory on public transport anymore, and guards(and posters and messages on visual displays) shouldn't be saying they are.

bramling

Veteran Member
I refer you to my previous posts; people do not want to stand out. Once it reaches a critical mass, people are happy to discard their masks.

For example as we were walking along Platform 1 at Paddington today we saw the 2103 to Plymouth departing and it was noticeable how in some coaches very few people were wearing masks, while in others most were not.

The idea that the majority of the population wants to wear them, let alone be forced to wear them, is absolutely absurd.

Agreed. If people were so enthusiastic about masks then we wouldn’t see so many being used incorrectly. Even the most hardcore mask obsessive can be seen pulling a single-use mask out of their pocket, or shoving one on without sanitising their hands first.

Many people have worn them in order to keep the peace, either shamed into doing so, or simply because they would prefer not to run the risk of a confrontation.

I’m sure many people are at the “test the water” stage. As more and more people enter settings and find they don’t get dirty looks or under-the-breath comments then this will give them increasing confidence to ditch masks.

Same applies to businesses. I suspect many are continuing to keep signage up because they want to test the water, avoiding ending up being shamed on social media for example. The more revealing thing is whether staff choose to wear them, and from what I’ve observed this week I’d say more staff aren’t than are wearing them.

There continues to be a political angle to all this too, there’s people who went everything to be cataclysmic - either because it suits their political position to slag off a Johnson / Conservative government, or because they like the idea of everyone’s lives being curated, or because they want to keep up their suburban work-from-home leisure-dominated lockdown lifestyle. This all needs to be called out.

I agree, a lot less people should be wearing them. But things are heading in the right direction as far as my observations.

If I was on one of those services you mentioned with the guards saying masks are mandatory, I'd have completely ignored and kept my mask off(in fact I don't have a mask now anyway as I've binned it!). Masks are not mandatory on public transport anymore, and guards(and posters and messages on visual displays) shouldn't be saying they are.

Yes any guard making an announcement mandating masks should be reported to the TOC. This needs to be stopped.

WestRiding

At Sheffield station yesterday. Didn't have my mask on, but had to giggle. Went down the steps to platform 4, following the one way arrows, but someone with a mask and visor passed me the wrong way on the stairs. Chuff sake, wear a mask, but still dont follow the other rules.

island

Veteran Member

I agree the article isn’t great; much of the French language reporting is considerably better. I speak French so I tend to read that instead :lol:

Anyone else who has sufficient French to read about it or wishes to trust machine translation should search Google News (other news sites are available) for “pass sanitaire”.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The guard on my TPE was making some announcement on face coverings just now, but Elton and Kiki started singing on my mp3 player, so I didn't catch the end of it.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Another pub trip today, this time for lunch.

About half wearing a mask while walking through Temple Meads (so a bit up from Wednesday night), about half wearing a mask on the train itself as far as I could see in my carriage (so a bit down from the other night) and we sat outside the pub ordering via the app so didn't go inside but nobody was wearing a mask outside and I noticed some people who were going into the pub wearing one and some others not, but as we weren't inside it was hard to get a proper feeling.

Very much appreciated the app ordering as it meant I didn't have to queue in what is basically a greenhouse where the pub has their bar!

A few people have mentioned buses and trains still in service with out of date posters etc, I'll say once again that I'd imagine such posters will disappear over time as those units / buses are properly looked at. I can't imagine operator's will be too quick to specifically take them out of service just to change posters etc - it makes much more sense to just do it as and when they can.
Not a direct observation on mask-wearing, but interesting to note at Finsbury Park platforms 7/8, a CMT Vending branded machine, dispensing masks, gloves and hand sanitizer has gone, replaced with a ‘normal’ one selling fizzy drinks, crisps etc.
No ‘new normal’ dystopian craziness!

martin2345uk

Established Member
On a fairly busy express from Norwich to Liverpool Street and almost everyone is wearing a mask

MikeWM

Established Member
The GN train I’m currently on has played the ‘you must wear a face covering’ message a lot more times than I ever heard it when it was accurate :rolleyes: At least 6 times in the past 30 minutes.

Signs still up too. Oddly, the PIS seems to have been updated to include a ‘please if busy’ line, but they haven’t removed the ‘you must’ message that scrolls past seconds before...

Status
Not open for further replies.