• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I was at Manchester Airport earlier, who still seem keen for you to wear a mask in their terminal buildings

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
I was at Manchester Airport earlier, who still seem keen for you to wear a mask in their terminal buildings
Same goes for London City airport where I spent some of my afternoon. They're also still doing temperature checks on everyone who enters the building. No surprise and no bother.

Jamiescott1

First day back to work after annual leave today.
I was the only maskless person out of about 45 in the carriage on my chiltern train.
The one way system still exists at Marylebone.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Greater anglia this morning, still 95% mask wearing and scrolling signs still on the PIS about you must wear masks unless exempt blah blah

ExRes

Established Member
Went into a Waitrose yesterday, the vast majority were wearing masks including every single staff member, those that were maskless were the supposed quivering and cowardly oldies while those in their 20s/30s/40s were masked to a man/woman

We went to the golf at Sunningdale on thursday, park & ride buses supplied by Stagecoach were mask only but ignored by maybe 25% that we saw with no input from any Stagecoach staff, one car parking steward was masked while standing on his own in the middle of a field, he was African and I mention that only as I wonder whether ethnicity is playing much of a role in to wear or not to wear mask decisions

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Had a few journeys around Merseyside today and most people seemed to be doing what the guidance suggests – wear a mask in crowded areas. On services which weren’t busy most weren’t wearing a mask, on busier services and the central underground stations many more were.

Anybody particularly angry/concerned about some of the messaging regarding the wearing of a mask post-freedom day should probably avoid catching a train to Rainhill. The ticket office still has a ‘Stay Home. Save Lives.’ poster!

MikeWM

Established Member
Anybody particularly angry/concerned about some of the messaging regarding the wearing of a mask post-freedom day should probably avoid catching a train to Rainhill. The ticket office still has a ‘Stay Home. Save Lives.’ poster!

The community notice board nearest my house still has a prominently displayed 'stay at home (tier 4)' guidance poster from back in the winter...

I've no idea who has the keys for it, so I can't moan at them about it :-/

bramling

Veteran Member
The community notice board nearest my house still has a prominently displayed 'stay at home (tier 4)' guidance poster from back in the winter...

I've no idea who has the keys for it, so I can't moan at them about it :-/

We saw quite a few “stay at home” signs in Northumberland last week. Many of these didn’t look that old, so I don’t think dated from last year.

There was one which read something along the lines of “show us respect, go home, stay away”.

MikeWM

Established Member
Just back from Tesco - about 40% of the customers had faces!

If that can happen here - maybe there's hope yet.

bramling

Veteran Member
Just back from Tesco - about 40% of the customers had faces!

If that can happen here - maybe there's hope yet.

We’re about to visit our local big Tesco, first time since the 19th. Being evening I suspect it will probably be fairly low numbers. Things are always more relaxed in the evening, same with some of the stuff we saw last year like “you must shop alone”. I’ll place a bet that it will be about 30% masked, we’ll see!

EDIT: duly returned and I’d say the 30% wasn’t a bad prediction. Hard to say for sure as one moment everyone seemed to have a mask on, then a minute later no one did.

One thing I’ve noticed - it’s quite conspicuous that those in masks make no attempt to keep any kind of distance, not the first time I’ve noticed that. Last year travelling to work, when the trains were largely empty, there was one doltz who came striding on all masked up to the eyes, yet came and sat within spitting distance in an otherwise empty carriage.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
First day back to work after annual leave today.
I was the only maskless person out of about 45 in the carriage on my chiltern train.
The one way system still exists at Marylebone.
Public transport seems to be an outlier in that the majority of people still wear them. Checked in at Premier Inn in Sussex today. None of the three ladies at reception had a mask, neither did any guests that I saw. Similar story at the fish and chip shop. One customer had a mask, none of the three staff did.

96tommy

Most people wearing masks on the 6 Underground trains I've used today. I would say 90% at least. Great to see!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Public transport seems to be an outlier in that the majority of people still wear them...
The two outliers are public transport and some shops. It's disappointing to see how slow the progress is in getting back to normal in these settings, but it will come, I am sure of it.

I'm due a visit to Morrisons soon; last week it was maybe 75% wearing masks and 25% not, so I hope to see more normality next time.

Most people are only wearing them because they think the majority will be, or they see the majority wearing them.

My local leisure centre says "Masks are optional" and hardly anyone wears them, which is great to see. Some of the masks wear visors, none wear masks. Even when masks were supposedly mandatory, the staff almost exclusively wore visors.

All the recent restaurants/pubs I visited recently seemed normal with almost 100% of customers not wearing masks. Last Thursday York station had just over 50% of people wearing masks around 5pm, but by 9pm the vast majority were not. And on Saturday night around 11pm there were huge crowds for the last trains from York and I don't think a single person was wearing a mask. A policewoman said that it had been a busy day but everyone was "behaving themselves". It was really great to see such big crowds not wearing masks again.

The LNER train home was great; no-one in my coach was wearing a mask. Much better than the train to London which was a real disappointment, with most people wearing masks.

96tommy

The two outliers are public transport and some shops. It's disappointing to see how slow the progress is in getting back to normal in these settings, but it will come, I am sure of it.

I'm due a visit to Morrisons soon; last week it was maybe 75% wearing masks and 25% not, so I hope to see more normality next time.

Most people are only wearing them because they think the majority will be, or they see the majority wearing them.

My local leisure centre says "Masks are optional" and hardly anyone wears them, which is great to see. Some of the masks wear visors, none wear masks. Even when masks were supposedly mandatory, the staff almost exclusively wore visors.

All the recent restaurants/pubs I visited recently seemed normal with almost 100% of customers not wearing masks. Last Thursday York station had just over 50% of people wearing masks around 5pm, but by 9pm the vast majority were not. And on Saturday night around 11pm there were huge crowds for the last trains from York and I don't think a single person was wearing a mask. A policewoman said that it had been a busy day but everyone was "behaving themselves". It was really great to see such big crowds not wearing masks again.

The LNER train home was great; no-one in my coach was wearing a mask. Much better than the train to London which was a real disappointment, with most people wearing masks.
Maybe people were wearing them because LNER are advising people too? I would say away from this forum, the general consensus is that masks should remain on public transport.

People are obviously allowed their personal views on masks and the personal choice to wear them which I am totally fine with, but it shouldn't be a shock to see people wearing masks

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe people were wearing them because LNER are advising people too?
I would say that the misleading and inappropriate wording by LNER is causing a much slower return to normal. It's disappointing to see, but it'll pass, as my train home on Saturday evening showed.
I would say away from this forum, the general consensus is that masks should remain on public transport.
I'm not sure if you are saying that the general consensus is that masks should be mandatory or that people should choose to wear them.

I do not believe this to be true; if it was true you'd consistently see high levels of mask wearing in many other settings and consistently on all trains and in all carriages.

The reality is that once people see a significant proportion of others not wearing a mask, they are much more likely to remove their masks. People do not want to stand out.
People are obviously allowed their personal views on masks and the personal choice to wear them which I am totally fine with, but it shouldn't be a shock to see people wearing masks
It's not a shock; I find it disappointing to see so many wearing them but I am really pleased to see normality returning, albeit slower than I'd have liked.

Class 33

Established Member
I was on a bus in Bristol yesterday. Was fairly busy, probably about 55 people on there. About 90% NOT wearing masks. Was great to see!

MikeWM

Established Member
We’re about to visit our local big Tesco, first time since the 19th. Being evening I suspect it will probably be fairly low numbers. Things are always more relaxed in the evening, same with some of the stuff we saw last year like “you must shop alone”. I’ll place a bet that it will be about 30% masked, we’ll see!

Yes, I'd definitely agree about things being more relaxed the later you go - though even then here we had compliance with masks of 100% (bar me...) more often than not, consistently over the whole of the past year.

So down to 60% or so is a *huge* difference, most welcome.

Also, just back from the cinema and I didn't see a single customer in a mask... Admittedly, being Monday evening, there weren't that many to begin with, but still that seems good progress too. Again, previously that would have been 'just me', so a most welcome change. The staff are all still masked, but hopefully that won't last forever.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I wore a mask on my train home yesterday because I was sitting next to somebody I'd got talking to who was wearing one too. She said she didn't travel much by train so I offered to wear it. She did say in fairness that she didn't mind but I did it mainly out of courtesy.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I can't see any courtesy in pandering to irrational fears; in fact as I see it as further entrenching those fears so in fact damaging.

96tommy

I wore a mask on my train home yesterday because I was sitting next to somebody I'd got talking to who was wearing one too. She said she didn't travel much by train so I offered to wear it. She did say in fairness that she didn't mind but I did it mainly out of courtesy.
Very sensible.

This morning, Central Line to Oxford Circus, Victoria Line to King's Cross St Pancras, 100% mask wearing on both trains in the carriage I was in (approx 20-25 people in both carriage)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was on a bus in Bristol yesterday. Was fairly busy, probably about 55 people on there. About 90% NOT wearing masks. Was great to see!
That's great.

Due to TfL's inappropriate messaging, London will be a long way behind other places in this regard. But normality will resume eventually.
I can't see any courtesy in pandering to irrational fears; in fact as I see it as further entrenching those fears so in fact damaging.
I agree.

Crossover

Established Member

On the contrary, I did have a mask on one of the trains I was on on Saturday, as it was fairly busy and I was sat opposite someone in a bay of 4 and said passenger also had one. Said passenger was making conversation and mentioned fairly early on that he was deaf (he had two hearing aids and his diction correlated) so talking back, I took mine off in the hope it helped (I never got an opportunity to ask the question) as hearing was difficult anyway over the noise of the engines of the 150

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed masks can be absolutely terrible for people with hearing difficulties.

@Crossover I had to do a double take there; only after I'd read the post a couple of times did I realise you were in agreement with @VauxhallandI

cuccir

Established Member
So far my experience tallies with others: mask wearing persists mainly in supermarkets and public transport, but is subject to a lot of variation.

I think people are being more habitual than smart eg the majority wearing them in large airy supermarkets where social distancing is possible and they're probably not needed, but then almost no-one in a small side room in a zoo (reptile/small mammals house type thing, not kept at warm temps) where social distancing not possible and they'd probably be wise.

My second vaccination is today and so I hope to significantly reduce my own use in a couple of weeks time; that should too coincide with the decline in case rates.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Indeed masks can be absolutely terrible for people with hearing difficulties.

@Crossover I had to do a double take there; only after I'd read the post a couple of times did I realise you were in agreement with @VauxhallandI
I’ve got a colleague at work with hearing difficulties, and they’ve said masks have essentially made daily life a “nightmare”, saying that they‘re struggling to understand people and that they hate having to ask for clarification as the masks make it “hard to understand regardless”.

Of course, the government and authoritarians don’t care about this, as all that matters to them is rules that look like they should help against COVID (when they don’t really do much) and the rigorous enforcement of these.

3rd rail land

I’ve got a colleague at work with hearing difficulties, and they’ve said masks have essentially made daily life a “nightmare”, saying that they‘re struggling to understand people and that they hate having to ask for clarification as the masks make it “hard to understand regardless”.

Of course, the government and authoritarians don’t care about this, as all that matters to them is rules that look like they should help against COVID (when they don’t really do much) and the rigorous enforcement of these.
I totally understand your colleagues predicament. I have mild hearing loss and I find face coverings make it a little harder for me to hear but I am able to manage.

I have met people with hearing loss who lip read in addition to wear hearing aids so face coverings must be horrendous for them.

35B

Established Member
I regard it as courtesy to respect the wishes of someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.