• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Mask wearing in shops, supermarkets and banks here in West Cornwall has, in my estimation, increased again within the last week or so, having decreased somewhat within a couple of weeks of the easing of restrictions in July. This may be as a result of covid case levels in Cornwall increasing substantially week by week, to figures far in excess of any seen before, and the local rate now exceeding the England average by a long chalk, again a first. I'd include staff of these establishments in this: some known to me formerly unmasked are back in them. I'm neither pro nor anti mask by the way.

Class 33

Established Member
Here in Bristol, 2 weeks ago I'd say the number of mask wearers in shops and on buses had declined to about 40 to 45% on average. I was going to say this week that there hasn't been much progress since then. But I've noticed a further noticable reduction just the past couple of days. I'd say it's edged down to around 35% now. The numbers of mask wearers and non-mask wearers on buses can vary somewhat though. For instance on some buses I've been on, it's been about half and half, on some buses it's been about 90% wearing masks, whilst on some other buses it's been only about 10% wearing masks!

brad465

Established Member
The House of Commons appears to be nearly fully packed for the first time since March 2020, in the one-off recall for this Afghanistan debate, as shown in the BBC live feed:

1629280634737.png

The Commons green benches are packed for the first time in well over a year.

The social distancing has gone - and the fact so many MPs have broken off from the summer recess highlights how strongly they feel about recent events in Afghanistan.

The prime minister is already facing a barrage of questions from all sides of the House and more will come.

Who is to blame for the Taliban’s dramatic rise to power? Could the government have done more to stop it happening? Should the UK do more than just take in up to 20,000 Afghan refugees?

The debate is due to go on until 17:00 BST

Just been to a concert. Weirdly, there were a few people wearing masks (probably maximum 10 out of 700). At an event such as this, surely that is completely and utterly pointless? The crowd was very lively and full of screaming and shouting. Not to mention it being boiling hot and sweaty. It's just bizarre choosing to wear one in this scenario.

bramling

Veteran Member
Mask wearing in shops, supermarkets and banks here in West Cornwall has, in my estimation, increased again within the last week or so, having decreased somewhat within a couple of weeks of the easing of restrictions in July. This may be as a result of covid case levels in Cornwall increasing substantially week by week, to figures far in excess of any seen before, and the local rate now exceeding the England average by a long chalk, again a first. I'd include staff of these establishments in this: some known to me formerly unmasked are back in them. I'm neither pro nor anti mask by the way.

I went on a museum tour today, surprisingly was the only one in the group not wearing a mask, despite the guide making it clear they were voluntary. To be fair I didn’t notice any dirty looks.

By contrast on trains it seems to be continuing to fall. We went on four trains today, none particularly heavily loaded, and mask use was below 50%.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I went on a museum tour today, surprisingly was the only one in the group not wearing a mask, despite the guide making it clear they were voluntary. To be fair I didn’t notice any dirty looks.

I went on a museum tour last week when I had a day off work and nothing else to do. My experience was similar - most people were masked. There also seemed to be a lot of people making use of hand sanitizers, we got a talk about keeping a 2m distance from others as we entered, and a one-way system was in place (although most museums have a natural one way system anyway I suppose).

I had lunch in their cafe which was still operating table service (I've been there pre-covid and you used to order at the counter).

It felt like I'd gone back in time about three months.

Not sure how relevant it is, but most of the staff (apart from the cafe) were elderly - probably actually volunteers. Maybe that was a factor in their decision making?

ChrisC

Established Member
Before Covid I very rarely used my bank debit card to pay smaller amounts of under £20 and always used cash. For the past 18 months many places have requested people to use contactless and some even stopped accepting cash payments. I’m still using contactless more than I did before but starting to use cash again especially for very small amounts less than £5. Last week in a National Trust tearoom, I ignored the signs requesting contactless payments, and paid by cash for an amount of around £4.50 using a £5 note. The person serving me took my £5 note at arms length on a small plate and gave me my change in the same way. I then saw her leave the till, despite there being a queue, to go and wash her hands.

westv

Established Member
I’m still using contactless more than I did before but starting to use cash again especially for very small amounts less than £5.
Why did you prefer to go back to using cash for small amounts when you could use contactless?

takno

Established Member
Why did you prefer to go back to using cash for small amounts when you could use contactless?
Dunno about the OP, but for me I'd say a combination of finding that the card has randomly died, or not knowing what the balance in the account is, finding it harder to budget my daily spend properly, and not wanting the bank or shops to know too much about me and my very private addiction to delicious minty Polos

ExRes

Established Member
Brilliant one yesterday, in town and seeing far too many people still wearing masks, we were in a two floor mall shop which has a cafe/takeway on the second floor, three teenagers walking through the mall with masks keeping their chins safe, into the shop and masks were placed firmly over noses and mouths while they went upstairs, they then reappeared coming back down the stairs sucking their milk shakes with masks back on chins, and it's the oldies that are supposed to be stupid?

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I’ve witnessed a couple of comedy moments this evening. The first was in a pub which is at the top of a steep bank. A man walked up the bank, masked up and clearly uncomfortable, and entered the (very busy) pub. He stood in the doorway and looked around, realised nobody was wearing a mask and removed his before making his way to the bar. Can somebody please explain the logic?

The second was in another pub where a gentleman came into the men’s toilet wearing a surgical mask, had a pee and then walked out without washing his hands. Words fail me sometimes!
I witnessed similar at work. Guy that works alone in a restricted area, with nobody within 15m of himself, wears a mask. Came into the toilets, walked to the urinal furthest from me (with 5 between us), had a pee and walked out without washing his hands !!

Lots of the software hasn’t been updated yet.
That’s true of humans, too!

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
Before Covid I very rarely used my bank debit card to pay smaller amounts of under £20 and always used cash. For the past 18 months many places have requested people to use contactless and some even stopped accepting cash payments. I’m still using contactless more than I did before but starting to use cash again especially for very small amounts less than £5. Last week in a National Trust tearoom, I ignored the signs requesting contactless payments, and paid by cash for an amount of around £4.50 using a £5 note. The person serving me took my £5 note at arms length on a small plate and gave me my change in the same way. I then saw her leave the till, despite there being a queue, to go and wash her hands.
The cash phobia is strange. How is touching a bank note any different to a door handle or a spoon at a self service restaurant? Staff at checkouts will handle all the shopping that someone has just touched.

dk1

Veteran Member
The cash phobia is strange. How is touching a bank note any different to a door handle or a spoon at a self service restaurant? Staff at checkouts will handle all the shopping that someone has just touched.
Yes it’s all very strange how people have got. The look on the bus drivers face was a picture the other day when a passenger handed him a twenty pound note which I wasn’t sure was because of Covid or because he had nothing smaller or any change. To be honest even I was surprised but some passengers don’t seem to have any scruples about having nearer the correct fare.

ChrisC

Established Member
It perhaps does not make any sense to some people but I have never used contactless or indeed chip and pin for small amounts. Perhaps it’s just a generational thing and although I’m only in my early 60s it’s just something I have never done and even during the lockdowns did not really want to do. I would normally never think of using my card to just pay for a cup of coffee or indeed a pint in a bar. Even in the supermarket my bill would have to be well over £20 before I even considered not using cash. One local chain of bakers in the East Midlands went card payments only during the first lockdown and really upset lots of their elderly customers. I fully understand as I would never use my card to pay a small amount like 89p for a loaf of bread.

Perhaps it’s the same reason why I will not use any of these pubs and restaurants who have only been taking orders through an app. Although I am making progress as I have during the last few weeks discovered that using my phone with a mobile day ticket on the bus is actually quite easy and convenient!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It perhaps does not make any sense to some people but I have never used contactless or indeed chip and pin for small amounts. Perhaps it’s just a generational thing and although I’m only in my early 60s it’s just something I have never done and even during the lockdowns did not really want to do. I would normally never think of using my card to just pay for a cup of coffee or indeed a pint in a bar. Even in the supermarket my bill would have to be well over £20 before I even considered not using cash. One local chain of bakers in the East Midlands went card payments only during the first lockdown and really upset lots of their elderly customers. I fully understand as I would never use my card to pay a small amount like 89p for a loaf of bread.

Perhaps it’s the same reason why I will not use any of these pubs and restaurants who have only been taking orders through an app. Although I am making progress as I have during the last few weeks discovered that using my phone with a mobile day ticket on the bus is actually quite easy and convenient!

I agree. Hate the idea of having hundreds of lines on my bank statement for 50p this, £1.20 that.

bramling

Veteran Member
I agree. Hate the idea of having hundreds of lines on my bank statement for 50p this, £1.20 that.

I found a solution to that - debit card for small purchases, credit card for anything more significant. I still check both statements though. This does somewhat rely on having a direct debit for the credit card each month, to avoid accidentally getting stuck for interest.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I found a solution to that - debit card for small purchases, credit card for anything more significant. I still check both statements though. This does somewhat rely on having a direct debit for the credit card each month, to avoid accidentally getting stuck for interest.

I only use a debit card, but there are still the lines on the statement !

dk1

Veteran Member
My bank statements are just full of coffee & snacks & have been for several years now. So easy to check every couple of days online. Wetherspoons is about 50% of all my transactions.

Just been to a concert. Weirdly, there were a few people wearing masks (probably maximum 10 out of 700). At an event such as this, surely that is completely and utterly pointless? The crowd was very lively and full of screaming and shouting. Not to mention it being boiling hot and sweaty. It's just bizarre choosing to wear one in this scenario.
Here in my Lancashire homeland I would say that there has been no reduction in masks being worn by our footpaths and pavements.

DelayRepay

Established Member

I mostly use my card, but if I have some cash on me I'll use it for small purchases.

I don't often draw cash out these days, but occasionally will acquire some e.g. if I pick something up from the shop for a neighbour, they pay me back using cash.

I remember the old days of drawing cash out if I was going on a night out, making sure enough cash was retained to pay for some chips and a taci, and then waking up the next day to find I had about £20 in coins! It's not that long ago that not many pubs had card machines and using your card in a pub felt a bit odd.

MikeWM

Established Member
I use cash for anything under £20 or so, and often for things a bit more that that. (Over £50 or so I'll pretty much always use a card, though such purchases are fairly rare :)

Happy to report that HMV are taking cash again; was nice to pay for something in there in cash last weekend. (I boycotted most places that refused to take cash over the last 18 months, but I did make an exception for HMV because as pretty much the only remaining seller of physical media on the high street, I want them to keep going - more than I wanted to make a point about paying with cash. You have to compromise *occasionally* :)

I like cash, I think it gives you a better idea of what you're spending because it feels more concrete. I also have a good idea by how frequently I'm visiting the cash machine as to how much I'm spending.

In addition, I actually make a point of using cash now - more than I did two years ago - as I think it is vitally important that we retain the ability to use it anywhere and everywhere. In an age when freedom has rapidly become undervalued, and companies and government want to track and control everything you do, using cash remains one simple but important way to stand up for the ability and the right to do as *you* choose.

johnnychips

Established Member
I don’t know if this is on any other thread, but apparently Bournemouth council will not be reintroducing deckchairs this year ‘because of the Covid risk, but also because they could be used as weapons’. Source Radio 5 Live. You couldn’t make this up.

bramling

Veteran Member
I don’t know if this is on any other thread, but apparently Bournemouth council will not be reintroducing deckchairs this year ‘because of the Covid risk, but also because they could be used as weapons’. Source Radio 5 Live. You couldn’t make this up.

Sounds like a classic case of Covid being used as an excuse to bury all sorts of nasties. It isn’t just burying bad news, but introducing bad things too.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Yet other resorts have reintroduced them this year with great success.

Status
Not open for further replies.