• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st Class GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I recently travelled from Runcorn to Exeter via London. I was very much looking forward to GWRs first class, but found it very disappointing . I left Paddington at lunch time and was amazed the catering offered nothing for lunch, not even a sandwich. Biscuits , Cake or Crisps was about it. So I had a packet of biscuits and a bottle of water for the journey to Exeter. The carriage was freezing, I did ask for the heat to go up a bit, but I can't say it was noticeable .

I came back on SWT and found their first class much more comfortable....took my own lunch.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
Had you seen something that led you to expect something more from FGW First Class? Only the Pullman Dining trains offer more than snacks and is a paid extra not complimentary.

Heating/AC in nearly all modern trains is automatic and not adjustable by on-board staff only depot maintenance. The only practical option for a passenger if the environment is not to their liking is to move to another coach.

Yes SWR FC accommodation on the 159s is far superior to the awful IETs but not to worry plans are afoot to rip it out and replace it with 2+2 pretend 1st just like on the rest of the SWR fleet.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Had you seen something that led you to expect something more from FGW First Class? Only the Pullman Dining trains offer more than snacks and is a paid extra not complimentary.

Heating/AC in nearly all modern trains is automatic and not adjustable by on-board staff only depot maintenance. The only practical option for a passenger if the environment is not to their liking is to move to another coach.

Yes SWR FC accommodation on the 159s is far superior to the awful IETs but not to worry plans are afoot to rip it out and replace it with 2+2 pretend 1st just like on the rest of the SWR fleet.

No not really, think I glanced at their website and it looked quite appealing, but I wouldn't bother with first on them again. That's a shame about the SWR FC, was very comfy, even nodded off.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'm sure GWR improved their First Class offer before Covid, as a relative reported travelling in First Class and at the time being offered a good range of complimentary snacks, drinks and sandwiches.

Also I believe they used to do "Wine Wednesdays."

I remember seeing on their website First Class menus listing one or two types of sandwiches as part of the First Class offer.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I'm sure GWR improved their First Class offer before Covid, as a relative reported travelling in First Class and at the time being offered a good range of complimentary snacks, drinks and sandwiches.

Also I believe they used to do "Wine Wednesdays."

I remember seeing on their website First Class menus listing one or two types of sandwiches as part of the First Class offer.

My experience on Avanti in first wasnt as good as Virgin. Wish GWR offered me a sandwich, was pretty hungry by the time I got to Exeter.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I overheard a GWR steward saying that the first class offer will be improved from July 19th. It has been limited (or non existent) as of late due to you know what!

Status
Not open for further replies.