• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 Hand Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan61

Hi I know its late I'm doing stage 2 tomorrow for WMT. I only have to.do the 2 hand coordination test again as I have previously passed the other tests to enhanced mark.

Anyone got any tips to for this test. I passed it at national mark but not enhanced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emilali

Hi I know its late I'm doing stage 2 tomorrow for WMT. I only have to.do the 2 hand coordination test again as I have previously passed the other tests to enhanced mark.

Anyone got any tips to for this test. I passed it at national mark but not enhanced.
I recommend holding the joy sticks at the very bottom as I found them easier to control that way.

EvoUK

You will normally be given one or two practice attempts in which you are asked to move the red dot around outlines of shapes or letters.

Rather than doing the actual task on these practice rounds, use the opportunity to play with the controls e.g. moving the dot around the screen making various random shapes until you feel comfortable with the controls. Only at this point (maybe a couple of minutes at most to be safe) complete the practice task before launching into the actual task in which the timing begins.

Choooochoooo

You will normally be given one or two practice attempts in which you are asked to move the red dot around outlines of shapes or letters.

Rather than doing the actual task on these practice rounds, use the opportunity to play with the controls e.g. moving the dot around the screen making various random shapes until you feel comfortable with the controls. Only at this point (maybe a couple of minutes at most to be safe) complete the practice task before launching into the actual task in which the timing begins.
Great advice, this is what I did and passed to enhanced level. I would also say that it’s harder to go slower if that makes sense you work as quickly as you can

L401CJF

Established Member
On the practice rounds I didn't get the ball to the finish line so to speak I kept avoiding the finish to get as much practice as I could before trying the real thing

Twotwo

Agree with what's been said. Just make use of the pratice runs by not going to the end until you arr confidnt. Anything that was straight I made sure to manoeuvre quickly by just flicking it.

L401CJF

Established Member
Also worth mentioning I crossed the lines on the real thing a hell of a lot, thought I'd failed it. Turns out I passed to enhanced standards required by that particular company anyway, as it takes into account how quickly you rectify your errors rather than wanting 100% accuracy.

skyhigh

Established Member
Also worth mentioning I crossed the lines on the real thing a hell of a lot, thought I'd failed it. Turns out I passed to enhanced standards required by that particular company anyway, as it takes into account how quickly you rectify your errors rather than wanting 100% accuracy.
Yep, I thought I'd have failed it but I passed to the required standard. The advice here is spot on, take your time, don't rush into it. Make use of the practice pages.

ILoveLamp

I’ve played computer games most of my life and found the control of these really weird. In the practice tests I was all over the place, and I never thought to not go to the finish, so when I finished the lady at the test centre had to keep resetting it so I could practice again, and I kept failing. When it came to the timed test I wasn’t much better, but it seems I passed...somehow! No feedback afterwards so I’ve no idea whether I passed well or just scraped through, but if I have to do it again I’ll do as the guys above have said and practice how it moves and not go all the way to the finish. Good luck.

TazzyWazzy

I’ve played computer games most of my life and found the control of these really weird. In the practice tests I was all over the place, and I never thought to not go to the finish, so when I finished the lady at the test centre had to keep resetting it so I could practice again, and I kept failing. When it came to the timed test I wasn’t much better, but it seems I passed...somehow! No feedback afterwards so I’ve no idea whether I passed well or just scraped through, but if I have to do it again I’ll do as the guys above have said and practice how it moves and not go all the way to the finish. Good luck.
When did you sit it and did you do the MMI afterwards?

ILoveLamp

When did you sit it and did you do the MMI afterwards?
Last year, yep I sat the MMI...fell at the last fence it seems, but no feedback given so I don’t know why. MMI wasn’t a very pleasant experience if I’m honest, despite DMI going very well. Onwards and upwards!

TazzyWazzy

Last year, yep I sat the MMI...fell at the last fence it seems, but no feedback given so I don’t know why. MMI wasn’t a very pleasant experience if I’m honest, despite DMI going very well. Onwards and upwards!
Thank you. Sorry to hear that. Hope you get another stab at it soon and have success

L401CJF

Established Member
I agree the MMI isn't very pleasant, from what I've heard it's pot luck as to which interviewer you have. Problem being nothing is recorded and it's their word that makes you pass or fail. I passed, not something I'd want to sit again!

They will keep pushing you to give the right answers though. At one point he asked something about how I get into a certain mindset to focus etc when in work. Something that just comes naturally to me and nothing I actually do to keep focused etc. Very difficult to answer!

TazzyWazzy

When did you sit your MMI?
I agree the MMI isn't very pleasant, from what I've heard it's pot luck as to which interviewer you have. Problem being nothing is recorded and it's their word that makes you pass or fail. I passed, not something I'd want to sit again!

They will keep pushing you to give the right answers though. At one point he asked something about how I get into a certain mindset to focus etc when in work. Something that just comes naturally to me and nothing I actually do to keep focused etc. Very difficult to answer!

YingYing

Is this a partial test with WMT then? I'm still waiting for a date for the stage 2 tests with them having done my stage 1s previously. Good luck by the way!

Trainrave

For what it’s worth, I moved the ball really quick, fell out of the track numerous times but corrected it as quickly as possible.
Passed to enhanced.
I’m now in training with a TOC.

Busyboy89

Just be careful as on the practice go if you go out and reset at the start too many times it comes up with ‘too many errors, test failed, speak to invigilator’ (something along them lines) gave me a heart attack as I did what the above people said and did it about 4/5 times practicing. They did reset it and I completed the test and passed. Currently out mentoring, but that feeling when that box flashed up I will never forget haha

Speedbird100

Annoyingly, I failed the two hand coordination test and passed the others with GWR in 2019. Does this mean I only have to do the two hand again when recruitment opens up again for GWR or another TOC?

Dan61

It all depends on the TOc on how long they honour the pass mark for. I did mine in 2018 and West Mids honoured the others so i only had to resit one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.