• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2020 Olympic Games in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
Surely, if it's slightly adulterated with some sodium chloride (common salt) it will give a typical amber coloured flame?
I found fuller details here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...o-naomi-osaka-berlin-rio-greece-b1889458.html

It seems additives have always been used (just rarely mentioned). Gunpowder !

The flame at Tokyo’s National Stadium and another cauldron burning along the waterfront near Tokyo Bay throughout the games will be sustained in part by hydrogen, the first time the fuel source will be used to power an Olympic fire.

Previous flames have usually run on propane, although magnesium, gunpowder, resin and olive oil have also been used since the first modern cauldron was lit for the Amsterdam Games in 1928.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SILVER for Bradly Sinden, in the Men's 68KG Taekwondo Final after a 34-29 defeat!

Agonising - but Brad is only 22 and is already talking about doing the big one in Paris!

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The men's Taekwondo was close, saw it at my brother's house having Sunday lunch.
Thought the women's match was unfair, the American was way larger than the Russian.

ITS GOLD FOR GB! Adam Peaty of Uttoxeter, becomes the 1ST EVER Brit, to successfully defend an Olympic Swimming title, in the Men’s 100M Breaststroke.

Also Silver was clinched, by South East London’s Alex Yee in the Men’s Triathlon.

We are properly up and running! :lol:

Last edited:

tommy2215

ITS GOLD FOR GB! Adam Peaty of Uttoxeter, becomes the 1ST EVER Brit, to successfully defend an Olympic Swimming title, in the Men’s 100M Breaststroke.

Also Silver was clinched, by South East London’s Alex Lee in the Men’s Triathlon.

We are properly up and running :lol:
Definitely happier right now than I was this time yesterday morning!

Eurosport (now part of Discovery) did a behind-closed-doors deal with the IOC for the full European broadcast rights to the 2018-2024 which saw the EBU (European Broadcasting Union, better known by the public for Eurovision, and who used to negotiate on behalf of all the European broadcasters) frozen out. The BBC already had their own deal for 2018/2020, so did a rights swap with Eurosport to get some access to the 2022/2024 in exchange for giving up some access to the 2018/2020 games. The big complication for Eurosport was that the games are protected in much of Europe as a "must-be-available-free-to-air" event, including the UK, so they were forced to do some negotiation.

The end result is that full coverage is available on Eurosport / Discovery+, while the BBC is limited to one live channel and one red-button channel. They also have access to the whole content for highlights. One side effect is that the BBC News Channel will be broadcasting BBC World News while BBC Breakfast is on for the duration of the games, as they are not allowed to show any live Olympics coverage on the News Channel.

Tokyo 2020 should have had fuller coverage I think, but I guess due to the deal with Discovery and the Games 1 year delay, meant the deal I guess kicked in on Jan 1st.

As much as it's annoying - a 1 Billion Euro deal was always going to blow everyone else out the water and I suspect, that a half price offer of an Annual Sub for Discovery+ at present (at £29.99 and 3 free days now, down from £59.99), will tempt a lot over to see the 9 channels Eurosport have, along with a live stream of every single session, as it has with me.

Also - it will get interesting going forward, with Discovery buying WarnerMedia in May for £60 BILLION and means opening up content I suspect elsewhere too!

Also Silver was clinched, by South East London’s Alex Yee in the Men’s Triathlon.

We are properly up and running! :lol:

And this morning: we have A GOLD RUSH!

Tom Daley and Matty Lee, brilliantly ended China’s 2 decade grip on the 10M Synchronised Platform title by 1.33 points, whilst Tim Pidcock stormed to Gold in the Mountain Bike Cross-Country!

Also Lauren Williams is into the 67KG Women’s Taekwondo Final and has secured at least Silver.

This is one MAGIC MONDAY!

UPDATE: Silver for Lauren Williams, in the Women’s 67KG Taekwondo Final, after a 4 point defeat which came in the last 10 seconds!

Her interview post the match, is the symbol of a very good athlete.

Even despite a gutting last gasp defeat: Day 3 sees 5 Medals won; 3 Gold and 2 Silver.

Very impressive stuff may I say!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Incredible performance in the mountain biking, not long finished watching it on Discovery+. I was adamant I'd only watch coverage on BBC, either on live TV or iPlayer, but the lack of coverage available yesterday morning on iPlayer for the women's road race cycling saw me need to head over to Discovery+ and get the free trial.

Point of order, I swear down it was a week's free trial before the Games actually started. Imagine my dismay then when I found it was just 3 days!

I'd be loving it more, if my TV supported the app. So I ended up watching the men's triathlon on iPlayer, it's much more enjoyable on a 32" screen than my smartphone, but it is what it is. I don't really care about the other stuff on Plus, certainly not enough to pay £4.99 every month. However, it has been really useful for watching the Games, not that I'm watching all the events, it's just the stuff I enjoy that I'm watching. So all the cycling for a start, looking forward to the time trials on Wednesday and the track events next week :D

Fair play to Alex Yee in the triathlon, that was so close until right near the end! Silver very well earnt! I will say as well the road race cycling was really good to watch too, how any of them survived those conditions for so long is beyond me. I can't hack even half an hour on the saddle in such conditions, so I tip my helmet to them!

6 Medals won on Day 4, which puts us on 13 overall!
  • 1 Gold - clinched by Tom Dean, who led the first British 1-2 in a Swimming Medal event, since London 1908
  • 2 Silver - Dean pipped countryman Duncan Scott by 0.040 Seconds, in the Men’s 200M Freestyle, with today’s other silver coming from Georgia Taylor-Brown in the Women’s Triathlon, which keeps us the best nation in Olympic history for Triathlon
  • 3 Bronze: These are thanks to the first Women’s Gymnastics Team medal since Amsterdam 1948; the Dressage team - pipped to Silver by the USA and Bianca Walkden, with our 3rd Taekwondo Medal in 3 days

J-2739

Established Member
Stayed up to watch the triathlon. Great comeback from Georgia Taylor-Brown who was let down by a bust tyre, but a very well done to Flora Duffy, who has claimed Bermuda's first gold medal thanks to her strong efforts.

6 Medals won on Day 4, which puts us on 13 overall!
  • 1 Gold - clinched by Tom Dean, who led the first British 1-2 in a Swimming Medal event, since London 1908
  • 2 Silver - Dean pipped countryman Duncan Scott by 0.040 Seconds, in the Men’s 200M Freestyle, with today’s other silver coming from Georgia Taylor-Brown in the Women’s Triathlon, which keeps us the best nation in Olympic history for Triathlon
  • 3 Bronze: These are thanks to the first Women’s Gymnastics Team medal since Amsterdam 1948; the Dressage team - pipped to Silver by the USA and Bianca Walkden, with our 3rd Taekwondo Medal in 3 days

After 4 Days, we sit on 13 Medals being 4 Gold, 5 Silver and 4 Bronze - which statistically is our BEST EVER START to an Olympiad!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Stayed up to watch the triathlon. Great comeback from Georgia Taylor-Brown who was let down by a bust tyre, but a very well done to Flora Duffy, who has claimed Bermuda's first gold medal thanks to her strong efforts.

I watched that earlier, a fantastic performance. Sadly I'd caught a spoiler for it as I was about to load the footage, however it was fascinating seeing how she managed to achieve that. In that weather, such a performance is even more incredible!

I tip my hat to Flora Duffy though, an amazing achievement for absolutely anyone and she fully deserved her gold medal. I have to confess I don't know exactly where Bermuda is, but I suspect I'm not the only one wanting to visit now.

Frustratingly I also got a spoiler for the women's mountain biking, which I am due to go and watch shortly. I already know how Britain did, but I would like to see how the women do in comparison to the men anyway.

And some of our best sports, including athletics and track cycling haven't even started yet!

Yes I have to say I am looking forward to those. I am going to make sure I tell the mother not to text me spoilers for those! Quite, I must do the same for one of my colleagues who told me the result of the swimming too. She's the only one at my workplace with any real interest, and I'm the only one in my squadron who's actually watching any of the Games!

I believe the women's time trial events are on at 03:25 or so in the morning, followed swiftly after by the men's time trial events. That I do have an interest in, I'm led to believe the British women especially are skilled on the sprints so there's a good chance for even more medals!

24Grange

I thought Simone had just withdrawn from the event and was deciding " day by day" whether she competes in any of the other events?

tommy2215

I thought Simone had just withdrawn from the event and was deciding " day by day" whether she competes in any of the other events?
I think that's right.

Its quite a disappointing day for team GB today. Today was our chance to win as many as 8-10 medals, but it looks like we are only going to come away with 2-4.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
In horse dancing why does the horse not get the medal? All the human has to do is sit on. The horse does the work!

Also in the men's boating the 4 x British team seemed to have a problem with steering and nearly crashed

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've only seen the time trial events from this morning so far today, it's been a hectic day and I still haven't done much of my to-do list. So I'm still behind on the rowing, which I must say until this Olympics I had no real interest in. Having seen how much of a workout it is, I've started developing an interest. Same with triathlon, I've no chance of managing that as my legs are bad at running, but it's inspired me to look again at swimming at the least.

It must be said, the men's time trial was a little dull in places but by cripes didn't it get much more lively! An incredible performance from Slovenia, an incredibly well deserved gold, same for the Dutch and Australian with their silver and bronze medals. The women's race was decent too, my attention was gripped the whole way through. Amazing performances in that event, I had had high hopes for the GB rider to get a medal, her performance was mighty decent though and she can only get better from here.

I've now got a few days with less to watch, as the track cycling isn't until Monday. Still, I'll be watching some of the events every day, when I'm not out exercising myself. Certainly, it's fair to say I'm normally very active anyway, however I've been inspired by the Games to try some new stuff and up my game on my existing efforts. I would imagine plenty of others are the same around the world, so regardless of the medal total at the end I'd say Team GB have played their part in encouraging others to get active <:D

On a related note, I've heard tickets for the 2022 Commonwealth Games are on sale. I'm going to get mine, hopefully, tonight!

Wow wow wow! What a result in the women's lightweight sculls final! I've just watched that, and you really have to feel for the poor GB athletes there. Literally missed out on bronze by 0.01 seconds! :frown: That was such an intense final, never seen such furious boating!

I saw a part-spoiler in McDonalds at lunchtime, as it appeared Team GB have done well in the canoeing. I've not yet watched any of that, I'm certainly intrigued to do so tomorrow though. Sadly, one has to get prepped for work which begins in a little over 5 hours' time :'( So all the other action will have to wait, but I'll definitely be watching the final action from the rowing now! Rather regret not getting into that before, there's just not enough time in the day for it all!

That victory ceremony music is really catchy too, so much so I've got it stuck in my head. I hope it's available to play on YouTube...

Last edited:
5 Medals we all wake up to!
  • An historic GOLD in the Women's BMX by Bethany Shriever
  • Silver for Kye Whyte in the Men's BMX
  • Silver for Duncan Scott (his 3rd of the games!), in the Men's Swimming 200m Medley
  • Bronze for Luke Greenbank, in the Men's Swimming 200M Backstroke
  • Bronze for the Men's Sailing Eight's
2 Boxing Medals also Guranteed, including West Bromwich's Ben Whittaker in the Men's 81 KG!

Byrony Page also goes off in the Trampoline Women's Final at 7am, where she is hoping to emulate her stunning Silver in 2016.

Also GB's Football side, are in the Quarter Final v Australia at 10am.

Finally and as a note - Dina Asher-Smith is into her Semi-Final of the Women's 100M.

5 Medals we all wake up to!
  • An historic GOLD in the Women's BMX by Bethany Shriever
  • Silver for Kye Whyte in the Men's BMX
  • Silver for Duncan Scott (his 3rd of the games!), in the Men's Swimming 200m Medley
  • Bronze for Luke Greenbank, in the Men's Swimming 200M Backstroke
  • Bronze for the Men's Sailing Eight's
2 Boxing Medals also Guranteed, including West Bromwich's Ben Whittaker in the Men's 81 KG!

Byrony Page also goes off in the Trampoline Women's Final at 7am, where she is hoping to emulate her stunning Silver in 2016.

Also GB's Football side, are in the Quarter Final v Australia at 10am.

Finally and as a note - Dina Asher-Smith is into her Semi-Final of the Women's 100M.

BRONZE for Bryony Page in the Women’s Trampoline! And considering we had NEVER won a Trampoline Medal until 2016, 2 IN A ROW is absolutely legendary!

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
I've only seen the time trial events from this morning so far today, it's been a hectic day and I still haven't done much of my to-do list. So I'm still behind on the rowing, which I must say until this Olympics I had no real interest in. Having seen how much of a workout it is, I've started developing an interest. Same with triathlon, I've no chance of managing that as my legs are bad at running, but it's inspired me to look again at swimming at the least.

It must be said, the men's time trial was a little dull in places but by cripes didn't it get much more lively! An incredible performance from Slovenia, an incredibly well deserved gold, same for the Dutch and Australian with their silver and bronze medals. The women's race was decent too, my attention was gripped the whole way through. Amazing performances in that event, I had had high hopes for the GB rider to get a medal, her performance was mighty decent though and she can only get better from here.

I've now got a few days with less to watch, as the track cycling isn't until Monday. Still, I'll be watching some of the events every day, when I'm not out exercising myself. Certainly, it's fair to say I'm normally very active anyway, however I've been inspired by the Games to try some new stuff and up my game on my existing efforts. I would imagine plenty of others are the same around the world, so regardless of the medal total at the end I'd say Team GB have played their part in encouraging others to get active <:D

On a related note, I've heard tickets for the 2022 Commonwealth Games are on sale. I'm going to get mine, hopefully, tonight!

Wow wow wow! What a result in the women's lightweight sculls final! I've just watched that, and you really have to feel for the poor GB athletes there. Literally missed out on bronze by 0.01 seconds! :frown: That was such an intense final, never seen such furious boating!

I saw a part-spoiler in McDonalds at lunchtime, as it appeared Team GB have done well in the canoeing. I've not yet watched any of that, I'm certainly intrigued to do so tomorrow though. Sadly, one has to get prepped for work which begins in a little over 5 hours' time :'( So all the other action will have to wait, but I'll definitely be watching the final action from the rowing now! Rather regret not getting into that before, there's just not enough time in the day for it all!

That victory ceremony music is really catchy too, so much so I've got it stuck in my head. I hope it's available to play on YouTube...
I agree with you regarding the rowing. It's like they've given it more publicity this time or something...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I agree with you regarding the rowing. It's like they've given it more publicity this time or something...

Is that run-on sentence meant to indicate something? Sorry if I'm reading too much into it, I barely slept last night and coffee is only just keeping me going. I've not been following the news or whatever, but that's not a new thing for me.

Desperately trying to avoid spoilers for today's action, I'm going to watch the canoe slalom in a bit and I've decided I will actually try watching the BMX action too. If I don't enjoy it I can soon turn it off!

J-2739

Established Member
Is that run-on sentence meant to indicate something? Sorry if I'm reading too much into it, I barely slept last night and coffee is only just keeping me going. I've not been following the news or whatever, but that's not a new thing for me.

Desperately trying to avoid spoilers for today's action, I'm going to watch the canoe slalom in a bit and I've decided I will actually try watching the BMX action too. If I don't enjoy it I can soon turn it off!
No no, sorry! I was agreeing with you regarding rowing, and how my interest in it has also grown. To me, it seems to have gained more publicity this Olympics!

Currently on the 5000m Woman's...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No gold medals in posho powered boating for the first time since 1980. Team GB was the leading posho powered boating nation at Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio 2016, claiming six, nine and five medals respectively at those Games.

Something has gone wrong!

Happy Super Saturday, with 21 Medal Events and two of them already: ARE GOLD FOR GB!

We won the Triathlon’s first ever Mixed Medley Relay and Swimming’s first ever 4X100M Medley, in a New World Record and that was despite the first swimmer slipping off the wall at the start!

tommy2215

Happy Super Saturday, with 21 Medal Events and two of them already: ARE GOLD FOR GB!

We won the Triathlon’s first ever Mixed Medley Relay and Swimming’s first ever 4X100M Medley, in a New World Record and that was despite the first swimmer slipping off the wall at the start!

This is our best performance in the pool for more than a century! And there is still another very good chance at gold in the pool tomorrow in the men's 4 x 100 medley relay

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No no, sorry! I was agreeing with you regarding rowing, and how my interest in it has also grown. To me, it seems to have gained more publicity this Olympics!

Currently on the 5000m Woman's...

Thanks for clearing that up, most appreciated :) Sorry for the delay in replying, another hectic weekend here. I think until the Olympics are over that will be the case every day!

The running events, or indeed things like shot put, I have yet to get into I must confess. Today I have watched the mixed relay triathlon and the highlights of the BMX racing finals, I've been too busy doing my own exercise, working, getting my second vaccine (woohoo!) and other stuff to watch anything more. Top result in that triathlon though, Team GB fully deserved their gold medals! Brilliant results in the BMX racing too, I didn't think he was going to pull it off but a well earnt silver. That lass did brilliantly to get her gold, I felt for her when her legs were destroyed after that intense effort!

Here's to more excellent action tomorrow, although it has to be said I've got a decent wind forecast tomorrow finally, so I will probably be mostly busy with work, cycling and power walking. Got to take advantage, with some seriously rough weather due on my days off :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.