• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2020 Olympic Games in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is our best performance in the pool for more than a century! And there is still another very good chance at gold in the pool tomorrow in the men's 4 x 100 medley relay

And in the end, we were beaten by the USA, who smashed the World Record by half a second. 8 Medals in the pool, is our best Olympics Swimming tally ever I think?

Also this morning: GOLD in the Women's BMX Freestyle and Bronze in the Men's BMX Freestyle!

All three of those medals clinched within an hour too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
TEAM GOLD FOR GB IN HORSEY HORSEY TALLY HO STUFF. GET IN!

Now GB win a first ever women's Weightlifting medal - a silver. Fantastic stuff

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Did anyone else watch the qualification session this morning on the track cycling? Good heavens that was an interesting watch! The German women's pursuit team smashed that world record! It was also an edge-of-the-seat moment between China and Germany for the gold in the team sprint, so close!

One really had to feel for the Australian rider whose bike broke though, that fall looked painful. Fair play to him though, he still got back onto the restart of their run and put in a great performance.

Team GB certainly have their work cut out for them in the team pursuit, Denmark's time was incredible and such a strong performance all the way through!

And it’s GOLD to kick off Tuesday, with GB winning the Men’s 49er’s Sailing by INCHES! New Zealand’s dominance has been loosened.

Also and what is being seen, as one of the best Olympic track performances ever, Norway’s Karsten Warholm OBLITERATED his own 400m Hurdles World Record: BY 0.76 OF A SECOND.

From 46.70 - set on July 1st, down to 45.94, with the American in 2nd ending on 46.17 - which is 0.53 ahead of the time. And the 3rd place guy, did a 46.72; which would have been a WR until the end of June!

tommy2215

And it’s GOLD to kick off Tuesday, with GB winning the Men’s 49er’s Sailing by INCHES! New Zealand’s dominance has been loosened.

Also and what is being seen, as one of the best Olympic track performances ever, Norway’s Karsten Warholm OBLITERATED his own 400m Hurdles World Record: BY 0.76 OF A SECOND.

From 46.70 - set on July 1st, down to 45.94, with the American in 2nd ending on 46.17 - which is 0.53 ahead of the time. And the 3rd place guy, did a 46.72; which would have been a WR until the end of June!

Seventh heaven for us today! We could still make it 8 medals if we do well in the women's 800m

eMeS

And in the end, we were beaten by the USA, who smashed the World Record by half a second. 8 Medals in the pool, is our best Olympics Swimming tally ever I think?

Also this morning: GOLD in the Women's BMX Freestyle and Bronze in the Men's BMX Freestyle!

All three of those medals clinched within an hour too.
Just been watching BBC's "Look East" and it seems that our Olympic Committee withdrew funding from the Womens BMX Freestyle, and that the winner had to crowd-fund herself to get there. It seems to me that the Committee should be required to explain their actions - does that ever happen?

Ediswan

Established Member
Just been watching BBC's "Look East" and it seems that our Olympic Committee withdrew funding from the Womens BMX Freestyle, and that the winner had to crowd-fund herself to get there. It seems to me that the Committee should be required to explain their actions - does that ever happen?
Funding was by (or rather not by) UK Sport, not the Olympic Committee.

Andyh82

Established Member
Basically rather than funding everything, they choose to direct funding at the sports they feel will most likely guarantee success.

There was a recent 3 part documentary on the BBC that explained all this, and how Team GB went from pretty poor in 1996 to the heights they’ve achieved in 2012/2016/2021

SteveM70

Established Member
Keely Hodgkinson was absolutely incredible in the 800m today. Silver medal and a British record to boot, and she’s only 19. Superb. A star is born

(Unusually for a championship race, it was quick rather than tactical, and 6 of the 8 finalists ran personal bests)

Ediswan

Established Member
Just been watching BBC's "Look East" and it seems that our Olympic Committee withdrew funding from the Womens BMX Freestyle
Picking up on this, the IOC have been taking steps to level up the gender balance. In canoe slalom, the always spectacular men's C2 has been replaced by women's C1. The classes are now equal. Ten years ago, women's C1 was very much a minority interest. The prospect of Olympic medals has changed that.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Sky Brown wins a bronze, its amazing how much she has accomplished already and is only 13. As well as skateboarding she's also won the US junior version of Strictly Come Dancing!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've had two intense days of watching the cycling, plus actually getting out there and exercising etc, so I'm a bit late to the party in discussing it all. Yesterday's track cycling, oh my word that was a whole ton of drama and excitement on its own! Strongly recommend anyone on here interested in track cycling watches it, that was brilliant. I've not really got into the velodrome sort of stuff before, but I'm loving it :D

This morning's events, that was just incredible too. Granted, on some of the qualifying bits (and a few other less exciting heats) I did watch it while also tackling my long list of housework. With the heatwave and so much action to watch, I'm well behind on that. Plenty of drama this morning too, but my favourite bit has to be the edge-of-the-seat men's team pursuit final. Denmark versus Italy, oh my days it was always going to be tight with two brilliant teams, but what a finish and a clawback for Italy! Not to mention their grabbing a new world record at the same time, what a result! :D

I won't mention the issues from yesterday between Denmark and Team GB...Talking of the home team, Ed Clancy has retired from the Olympics. I had hoped to see more from him but it is what it is, sciatica cannot be fun to deal with!

Certainly looking forward to seeing how tomorrow's events go, the kierin events are hotting up! There's another type of event on this week, but I've no idea right now what it is. Lots of excitement coming up!

tommy2215

GOLD in the men's omnium!!!! Absolutely thrilling performance by Matthew Walls and the first time GB have won gold in the event since it was added to the Olympics!! We would have won a medal in the women's keirin too had that Dutch cyclist not smashed into poor Katy

Techniquest

Veteran Member
GOLD in the men's omnium!!!! Absolutely thrilling performance by Matthew Walls and the first time GB have won gold in the event since it was added to the Olympics!! We would have won a medal in the women's keirin too had that Dutch cyclist not smashed into poor Katy

Oh indeed, and what a performance he put in! Marchant was also on fire, just a shame about the crash. Glad she came off OK, but whoever you follow, the feelings had to be hurt when they carried the Dutch woman off on a stretcher. She went off unconscious! Thankfully it was announced she'd come back around, hopefully it won't mean the end of her Olympic career.

I've never seen an Omnium before today, so it was an interesting watch. Some amazing performances all round, not just Team GB's Walls of course but that finish by the New Zealander was amazing. What a clawback to finish with a silver! Plenty of respect for Italy too, that was a fine run, just scuppered at the end by New Zealand.

The sprinting was good too mind, what powerhouses the Dutch are! Team GB's Carlin has his work cut out for him to get gold, but he has potential to drop the hammer tomorrow. Whether he gets gold or bronze, he's put in an amazing effort and will deserve a medal of any colour.

There's another new event on tomorrow, the madison I think it was called. I also recall the commentator mentioning the women's omnium will be held for the first time tomorrow, well worth a watch I reckon that will be, based on the performance of the women cyclists all the way through this week.

Honourable mention must go to those Ukraine women, that was a brilliant performance in the kierin. Just pipped at the post for medals, but they sure worked hard for them.

I'm already well excited for tomorrow's action!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Madison isn't a new Olympic event though has been away for a few Olympiads, not one GB has done that well in until now.

Madison isn't a new Olympic event though has been away for a few Olympiads, not one GB has done that well in until now.
Not for the men it's not but it's the first time that there's been a women's one. And the record books will have GB down as the first winners thanks to a nearly flawless ride from Katie Archibald and Laura Kenny!

tommy2215

We now have 58 medals with a further 2 in boxing guaranteed. Had we not had all these injuries and withdrawals we would have a very good chance of beating our 67 medal tally we got in Rio 2016!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What a race that women's madison was! Never seen such an event before, I was blown away by that ride from Team GB! Incredible performance, what a way to take home the gold <:D

Same for the sprinting, that was a lot of exciting action. The men's finals were really worth watching, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the women manage tomorrow. A well earnt bronze there for Carlin, he stormed that! <:D

The whole Olympics have gone by so fast, there's not much of it left already :( Good thing the paralympics are coming up soon, that should be exciting too. I reckon tomorrow's shift is going to be like today, looking forward to getting back and watching the action. I didn't think track cycling could be so exciting!

EDIT: It was sad news to hear that the Dutch woman from yesterday's crash has multiple injuries, amongst other issues her collarbone is injured. Ribs damaged and the lungs are suffering too :'( Really hope she pulls through and recovers well, some serious injuries there. As much as I've loved following Team GB, I've kind of adopted the Netherlands as my second favourite team, so it's sad to see a fine athlete go down like that.

EDIT 2: Sorry for multiple edits, I was distracted by ice cream! Forgot to mention Starikova's excellent performance, that was a brilliant show and I was celebrating that too. I really want Ukraine to do well!

What a way to end the penultimate day of track cycling! :wub: Starikova defeating the German to go into the semi-finals, wow that was a result! That's going to be an edge of the seat watch tomorrow :E

Certainly an interesting men's madison, silver was a good result but I do kind of feel they held back a bit too much. Doing so over 200 laps, yes of course it will have been necessary in places, but perhaps too much slack. Still, a great run by Belgium who I really thought were going to steal the gold, so close yet so far from them!

Bad luck for Katy Marchant, that woman from Hong Kong's an absolute machine so it would always have been a tough one for her to win. The women's sprint semi final and, indeed, the final, will both be excellent viewing. I get the privilege of watching the first bit before I head to work, as it all starts at 2am, so I'll be having breakfast while the first part of the action is on. Work's going to drag so much!

I am a bit gutted I just haven't been able to watch as much as I wanted to, what I have seen has been great though. Certainly, the closing ceremony promises to be good too.

Last edited:

tommy2215

Such a shame they are coming to end today. I have really enjoyed the 2020 Olympics, been filled with thrilling moments and team GB have surpassed all expectations. 65 medals is absolutely amazing!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Such a shame they are coming to end today. I have really enjoyed the 2020 Olympics, been filled with thrilling moments and team GB have surpassed all expectations. 65 medals is absolutely amazing!

I have to agree! Absolutely flown by! I've never really watched the Olympics properly before, however I'm much more into athletic sport (walking, running and cycling being my favourites, although I've now discovered a new favourite in rowing, and I'm going to try and watch a bit of the canoeing before it gets taken off Discovery+) than ever before. I never thought I'd get so into track cycling, but I enjoyed it more than the road events to my surprise. The triathlons, wow that was fascinating!

Such a lot of intense action, which I'll never be able to achieve (too worn out a body for that :lol: ) and I've enjoyed everything I've watched so far. There's been so much I've wanted to watch, but just not enough time! Even so, I've been inspired to look at new activities, as well as improving what I already do :D

Team GB have certainly done extremely well, I would not have expected so many great results! Today's track cycling finale, I have to say it wasn't as great a day as expected, a shame for Laura Kenny to only finish 6th in the women's omnium but that big crash in the scratch race really messed up the whole event! Jason Kenny's performance was amazing in the kierin, extremely proud of that man and hopefully he'll manage one more Games in Paris in 2024. Fair game to Jack Carlin though, he did well and he indeed has a good future ahead of him!

I'm currently finishing off the closing ceremony, I'm going to be gutted to take down my flags and, indeed, my Union Jack towel (which has been blowing in the wind as a makeshift decent size flag!) for the next couple of weeks. The paralympics will see the flags, and indeed my Team GB t-shirt, back out :D Here's to the Paralympics, that promises to be excellent! :D

Attachments

• 20210806_133608.jpg
    20210806_133608.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

AndyDeltic19

The Track Cycling is my biggest love. Epic competition from start to finish. With regards to the Madisons, our guys did amazing to get that silver. Many of those countries teams had pairings that ride together for every elite Madison and at 6 Day Racing which a series of relentless racing all focused around Madison competitions. GB have never really settled on a regular pairing so I'm not sure how many elite Madison rides those two young lads would've had together, so to beat all the big teams was amazing and only lost out to Denmark who were the gold medal favourites as in the last World Championships they were untouchable.

This was the first ever Women's Madison in the Olympics. With it's introduction announced it meant they had to introduce it at World Championship level in 2017 post-Rio in order for a qualification process to begin as prior to that there wasn't even a Madison for the women at Worlds Champs. It means the women are much less experienced, but the growth has been exceptional and exciting to follow. GB were the second ever World Champs in 2018 with Belgium being the first, but the last two World Champions were the Dutch who started the Olympics as the biggest favourites. Similar to the men's selections many nations have pairings that don't change, whereas GB have swapped riders around so we never have a set pairing. There were easily 6 or 7 nations that could medal. With such a close and unpredictable competition, to see the way Katie and Laura absolutely bossed it and ran away with it was one of the stand-out performances of the entire Olympics. They made it look like it was a foregone conclusion but for anyone not in the know, that was NOT the case when they lined up on the start line!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh good, another track cycling enthusiast! :D I'm new to the whole scene, as you'll have no doubt noticed from my posts on this thread. Having now fallen in love with track cycling, I'd love to have a go at a velodrome myself some time, just for the experience!

Yes I have to agree, the way Team GB owned that women's madison you would think they were experts at the discipline! Certainly I think it is indeed fair to say it was not clear from the start, so many teams looked likely to win. What I do know for sure is that I need to find out when 2022's world championships are on!

Oh, and I smile every time I hear a bell now, it immediately makes me think of the one used in the Izu velodrome :D

tommy2215

Very disappointing that CJ Ujah who was part or Britain's quartet for the Men's 4x100m relay has tested positive for a banned substance. He has let team GB down massively here. How did he think he was going to get away with it. All he has achieved is major damage to his own reputation and earned the disgust of much of the country.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very disappointing that CJ Ujah who was part or Britain's quartet for the Men's 4x100m relay has tested positive for a banned substance. He has let team GB down massively here. How did he think he was going to get away with it. All he has achieved is major damage to his own reputation and earned the disgust of much of the country.

Isn't that jumping the gun (pardon the pun) a little here? I don't know the details of this story, but is it not possible he was unaware of the substance? I've no idea what it is, but is it not possible it was mixed into a (for example) a recovery drink without his prior knowledge?

As far as I'm aware, regardless of how it got there, he will now be marked for it anyway as I believe it will have been his responsibility to check what he's consumed. It is a shame, no question of it, and I have to say I'm disappointed. As I say, I haven't seen full details of what the substance was or anything, so I'm looking at the story as an outsider if that makes sense.

SteveM70

Established Member
Isn't that jumping the gun (pardon the pun) a little here? I don't know the details of this story, but is it not possible he was unaware of the substance? I've no idea what it is, but is it not possible it was mixed into a (for example) a recovery drink without his prior knowledge?

As far as I'm aware, regardless of how it got there, he will now be marked for it anyway as I believe it will have been his responsibility to check what he's consumed. It is a shame, no question of it, and I have to say I'm disappointed. As I say, I haven't seen full details of what the substance was or anything, so I'm looking at the story as an outsider if that makes sense.

It is jumping the gun insofar as his B sample hasn’t yet been tested, so the result is still provisional. However, if the B sample confirms the result from the A sample, it’s a strict liability situation - knowledge and intent don’t come into play at all.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It is jumping the gun insofar as his B sample hasn’t yet been tested, so the result is still provisional. However, if the B sample confirms the result from the A sample, it’s a strict liability situation - knowledge and intent don’t come into play at all.

Fair enough. Thanks for the detail about the second sample :) Let's hope the other forum member got disappointed and disgusted ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.