• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2118 Newcastle-Carlisle violence 8/8/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Why is it "infamous"? 2118 doesnt seem that late for a so called "party train".
It is the last train on a Saturday night to serve stations out west of Prudhoe towards Carlisle.

The north east of England has little in the way of late evening rail services.

suzanneparis

Would it be an idea, for the safety of staff and innocent passengers, that we have a system to breathalyse people before being allowed on board.

headshot119

Established Member
Would it be an idea, for the safety of staff and innocent passengers, that we have a system to breathalyse people before being allowed on board.

No absolutely not. I can have plenty to drink, fail a breathalyzer test but I'd be absolutely no trouble at all on a train. Not everyone who drinks then travels by train is a problem.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No absolutely not. I can have plenty to drink, fail a breathalyzer test but I'd be absolutely no trouble at all on a train. Not everyone who drinks then travels by train is a problem.

Indeed. I'd just prefer that anyone who gets violent or disorderly from drink (whether on a train or otherwise) is, as a minimum, chucked in the cells overnight without fail. They may eventually get the idea then.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Unfortunately there's no test to distinguish the "happy drunk" from the "angry drunk"...

There may be a use for 142s after 2020 though: couple one to the back of the better unit that runs the late-night service, patrolled by a BTP officer who is built like a brick outhouse. Anyone who fails the breathalyser goes on the Pacer, those who are sober get to travel in relative comfort... ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 2150 is another 'fun' train as it's the last Newcastle to Darlington/Thornaby/Middlesbrough service so on a Saturday night is often very rowdy. The one time I've done it myself the guard kept themselves locked away in middle of the train (it was formed of two 156s) and I don't blame them at all! Would have been nice if they'd invited those of us that were sober to join them mind you :lol:

They originally made the 2118 booze free, so folk started getting the 1920, which in turn became booze free too. The actions of the minority ruin it for all as usual.

It's the same on the last West Cumbrian train from Carlisle on a Saturday!

On a wider theme, the 2 Car 142's are woefully inadequate for the volume of traffic on the Tyne Valley line on a weekend!

Stats

BTP are appealing for witnesses

Appeal for witnesses after fight on Newcastle to Carlisle train

British Transport Police (BTP) is appealing for information after a fight broke out on board a train travelling from Newcastle to Carlisle.

Officers want to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident on board the 9.18pm Northern Rail service at around 10pm on Saturday, 8 August.

Investigating officer PC Amanda Timlin said: “A fight broke out between a group of men and women on board the service. One woman was left with a split lip requiring eight stitches.

“We have launched an investigation into the incident and have undertaken a number of enquires.

“We are now trying to determine exactly what happened on the train, and I would urge anyone who was travelling on the service and witnessed the incident to please come forward and speak to us. Your information could be vital.

“We believe a number of passengers who may have seen the fight left the train at Prudhoe and Riding Mills.”

Martyn Guiver, Head of Crime Management for Northern Rail, comments: “We have a zero tolerance policy to disorder on our trains. Our customers and staff have the right to travel safely and we are working with British Transport Police to ensure those responsible are held accountable.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40, or text 61016, quoting reference PSUB/B4 of 19/8/2015. Information can also be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
media.btp.police.uk/r/11884/appeal_for_witnesses_after_fight_on_newcastle_to_

billio

People behaving so badly would not be allowed on a bus. They would end up in prison if they did that on an aeroplane. I suppose the issue with trains is that the police are not in a position to attend the train when it stops at the next station.

Carlisle

Established Member
They originally made the 2118 booze free, so folk started getting the 1920, which in turn became booze free too. The actions of the minority ruin it for all as usual.

It's the same on the last West Cumbrian train from Carlisle on a Saturday!

On a wider theme, the 2 Car 142's are woefully inadequate for the volume of traffic on the Tyne Valley line on a weekend!

The last train on a Saturday night from Carlisle to Dumfries has also had its share of problems for a number of years

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.