• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

22nd February - Roadmap out of the pandemic, lifting of restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Masks are less harmful to the economy and easier to live with than distancing, if the general orthodoxy is to be believed. (In any case, distancing has broken down already; this is just a change to reflect the obvious reality).

On the plus side, once distancing is officially gone, people will really start to question why masks are so incredibly important if we’re all allowed to get within inches of each other. I am optimistic that, for that reason, they won’t be far behind.
A simple handkerchief is even less damaging to the economy and, more importantly, far less damaging to the environment but that's been forgotten over the last year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
The face masks in shops legislation in England expires/up for renewal at the end of July (it was a 12 month initial period).

Although I would really like masks to go, I doubt they will go on June 21st. A more feasible scenario is they roll it on another month to 'assess the data'.

And when every adult has been offered a first dose of the vaccine (currently forecast for the end of July), they will use this milestone to say that "..the data.." and "...the science.." allows us to abolish compulsory face coverings in most settings.

By which time most of the public will be widely ignoring the rules, and there will be very little enforcement.

But there were still some COVID bedwetting MPs on the radio this morning "..urging the government to maintain restrictions on foreign travel after May 17th..."

The government doesn't want people to travel abroad until the end of June. That is why there will only be a handful of countries on the Green list, and all sorts of silly rules about expensive PCR tests which will add hundreds of pounds to the cost of a holiday.

Class 33

Established Member
o
Whilst I'll be overjoyed to see the end of social distancing nuisancing on 21st June, face masks muzzles really needs to go at the same time too. We were led to believe from this lockdown/restrictions roadmap that ALL restrictions would be going on this day too. We were told back in December that "These vaccines are our way out of all these restrictions, and a road back to normal life"!!! But now according to these reports, face masks restrictions must remain and with no apparent date as to when these could or will be lifted! This is just not acceptable!

When there is a next Downing Street News Conference, the journalists really need to be asking Johnson, Hancock or whoever some tough questions and challenging them on issues like these. But instead a lot of the questions they ask are rubbishy questions, a number of them asking the same questions, and some asking totally unrelated questions such as the European Super League(football) as was the case the other week!

Face masks are absolutely pointless. And especially by 21st June, when near enough all UK adults would have received their first vaccination. There is a very valid argument by then that there will be just absolutely no need for face masks by then! Just let them go on 21st June for crying out loud!

If face masks restrictions still remain after 21st June, as well as the inconvenience of having to still wear the darn things, there's still going to be all these signs with cartoon heads wearing face masks in shops, public transport, etc. There's still going to be all these incredibly tedious PA announcements about "You MUST wear a face mask at all times" going off every few minutes in supermarkets, on trains, buses, etc. And there's still going to be unpleasant instances like what you see in these videos below, happening in shops and on public transport. We really really do not need this! Enough is enough! Face masks MUST go on 21st June.

This woman took Sainsbury's to court about this and won £7000 costs

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
We were led to believe from this lockdown/restrictions roadmap that ALL restrictions would be going on this day too.

You might have been lead to believe that, but the roadmap was very clear that not all restrictions would be removed on that date, and that there would be a review (published not later than stage 4) which would set out how and when they would. The specific quote, from para 145, is:

The results of the review will help inform decisions on the timing and circumstances under which rules on 1m+, face masks and other measures may be lifted.

I don’t know how that could be interpreted as all restrictions being lifted on June 21st, but no doubt some people have seen it that way.

Class 33

Established Member
Well the roadmap says nightclubs will be able to reopen on 21st June. This won't be able to happen if this Face mask nonsense still drags on! Face masks MUST go on 21st June!

You might have been lead to believe that, but the roadmap was very clear that not all restrictions would be removed on that date, and that there would be a review (published not later than stage 4) which would set out how and when they would. The specific quote, from para 145, is:

The results of the review will help inform decisions on the timing and circumstances under which rules on 1m+, face masks and other measures may be lifted.

I don’t know how that could be interpreted as all restrictions being lifted on June 21st, but no doubt some people have seen it that way.

Well with the way the Coronavirus hospital numbers and deaths are now(and will be better/lower still by 21st June and better still continuing beyond then), this review should find that there are absolutely no valid justifications whatsoever as to why ANY of these nonsense over the top damaging restrictions must continue. If they come up with some nonsense claptrap as to why any of the restrictions must still continue, then I think the the people of this country really need to rise up against this.

Last edited:

bengley

Established Member
Face masks can be gone whenever you want. If wearing a mask causes you such distress (which is completely understandable) then you are able to claim an exemption. I have done so because I believe that wearing a mask causes me severe distress. I do not have to see my GP to get proof of this, as is clearly stated on .gov.uk

LAX54

Established Member
Isn't distancing far more effective than masks?
Was the...... the wearing of masks is needed when you are less than 1 metre apart for more than 15 mins ever revoked ? still seems to be a recommendation in other Countries.

kristiang85

Established Member
I dunno, I've been to certain clubs where mask wearing will be fine...

:D :D :D

In all seriousness though, masks have no place in normal nightclubs. Seeing people's face movements is about the only way to communicate given how loud they are.

What we don't want is an open ended law that says, for example, masks must be worn on public transport, and there is no specified end date or criteria that needs to be met before the law is abolished.
That is exactly what will happen. Mandatory masks indoors will become permanent now, I am sure of it.

kristiang85

Established Member
Once there is an epidemic of people needing medical attention for fabric fibres in their lungs from all the cheap masks, hopefully that will put a stop to the nonsense finally.

brad465

Established Member
Once there is an epidemic of people needing medical attention for fabric fibres in their lungs from all the cheap masks, hopefully that will put a stop to the nonsense finally.
Or David Attenborough does a documentary revealing how many face masks are in our oceans now. Yes of course reusable ones make more sense, but that would mean we don't constantly buy them, and that would ruin capitalism, which we can't have now can we? (the same capitalist behaviour that helped bring about this pandemic in the first place)

Keeping masks, but removing social social distancing makes no sense. I thought that masks were supposed to worn in addition to staying 2 metre apart, not as a substiute for social distancing.

Also now that we know covid is airbourne, what good are masks anyway?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
o
Whilst I'll be overjoyed to see the end of social distancing nuisancing on 21st June, face masks muzzles really needs to go at the same time too. We were led to believe from this lockdown/restrictions roadmap that ALL restrictions would be going on this day too. We were told back in December that "These vaccines are our way out of all these restrictions, and a road back to normal life"!!! But now according to these reports, face masks restrictions must remain and with no apparent date as to when these could or will be lifted! This is just not acceptable!

When there is a next Downing Street News Conference, the journalists really need to be asking Johnson, Hancock or whoever some tough questions and challenging them on issues like these. But instead a lot of the questions they ask are rubbishy questions, a number of them asking the same questions, and some asking totally unrelated questions such as the European Super League(football) as was the case the other week!

Face masks are absolutely pointless. And especially by 21st June, when near enough all UK adults would have received their first vaccination. There is a very valid argument by then that there will be just absolutely no need for face masks by then! Just let them go on 21st June for crying out loud!

If face masks restrictions still remain after 21st June, as well as the inconvenience of having to still wear the darn things, there's still going to be all these signs with cartoon heads wearing face masks in shops, public transport, etc. There's still going to be all these incredibly tedious PA announcements about "You MUST wear a face mask at all times" going off every few minutes in supermarkets, on trains, buses, etc. And there's still going to be unpleasant instances like what you see in these videos below, happening in shops and on public transport. We really really do not need this! Enough is enough! Face masks MUST go on 21st June.

Do you have link to the £7k fine for Sainsbury’s please?

Darandio

Established Member
Do you have link to the £7k fine for Sainsbury’s please?

They don't mention the retailer in the article but i'm assuming it's related to this.

A disabled woman assisted by Kester Disability Rights has been paid £7,000 in compensation by a service provider who refused her access to a service because she was unable to wear a face mask.
The pay-out was achieved through negotiation as there was no dispute that access had been denied, or that the Claimant had a disability exemption. The only thing to be agreed was the amount of compensation, not whether it was due or not.
Refusing access to people unable to wear face coverings due to disability is direct discrimination - no different to denying access to a black or gay person for example.
Disabled people are now routinely harassed in public for not wearing face coverings - frequently given the impression that confidential medical information must be publicly disclosed to justify exemption. The fact that shops and hospitality businesses routinely display "no mask no entry" signs shows how deeply disablist attitudes are embedded in society. If premises displayed "no blacks" or "no gays" notices there would be outrage.
Fortunately the official Government position does not endorse any of this as nobody exempt from wearing a mask is expected to go around justifying themselves. Saying "I'm exempt" is enough. If the response to that can be proved to be discriminatory then compensation is due.

island

Veteran Member
Or David Attenborough does a documentary revealing how many face masks are in our oceans now. Yes of course reusable ones make more sense, but that would mean we don't constantly buy them, and that would ruin capitalism, which we can't have now can we? (the same capitalist behaviour that helped bring about this pandemic in the first place)
on which subject, a school in Berkshire this week decided to ban disposable masks.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That is exactly what will happen. Mandatory masks indoors will become permanent now, I am sure of it.

Inconceivable that that will happen. They are not mandatory indoors now - only in certain indoor settings.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Inconceivable that that will happen. They are not mandatory indoors now - only in certain indoor settings.

I can't think of a single non-private indoor setting where they aren't required.

Maybe barbers?

nedchester

Established Member
o

I still maintain the Merseyrail one was different from the rest as he was both abusive and violent. He also had previous form within Merseyrail and had been banned.

Only if the public put up with it.......

birchesgreen

Established Member
One of the maritime conservation charities have been running ads for some time warning of this new pollution threat to the seas with photos of masks in the water.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I can't think of a single non-private indoor setting where they aren't required.

Maybe barbers?

Pretty much everywhere private! Not needed in my house, or office. There’s lots ‘indoors’ that doesn’t require masks.

brad465

Established Member
The chopping and changing of the headlines in the press does my head in. One day it's "Face masks to be scrapped on 21st June!" and then a day or so later it's "Face masks may have to remain after 21st June". I hate this.
I'm not saying that it's gaslighting (in the proverbial sense) but I would say that if - and that is very much an if - someone was gaslighting the public, that is exactly what someone would do.
Today's Government talk, including from the PM, about foreign travel and Johnson saying "One metre rule could go from June 21st" would certainly be keeping up a gaslighting approach.

packermac

NYMR have cancelled their Wartime event in October
Chris Price, General Manager of NYMR said: “After consultation with, and the subsequent support from Pickering Town Council, we are deeply saddened to announce the cancellation of this year’s Railway in Wartime event.”

“This has been an extremely difficult decision to make and one not taken lightly as it will no doubt come as a huge disappointment to local businesses, but with ongoing concerns of complying with unknown COVID-19 guidelines in October, and the challenges it could present with social distancing, the railway and council have agreed that the safety of our volunteers and visitors to the town must remain our number one priority.”

“This three-day event is always a highlight in our calendar each year; however, due to the nationwide lockdowns and delays to our 2021 season-opening, planning an event of this magnitude - which involves months of preparation, and would normally be well advanced by this time of year, not to mention the commitment of significant cost, resources and many volunteers - just hasn’t been possible.”

DustyBin

Established Member
on which subject, a school in Berkshire this week decided to ban disposable masks.

The question is, will people carry sufficient reusable ones to change them often enough? Not that they were likely to have been changing the disposable ones regularly of course…

greyman42

Established Member
Face masks can be gone whenever you want. If wearing a mask causes you such distress (which is completely understandable) then you are able to claim an exemption. I have done so because I believe that wearing a mask causes me severe distress. I do not have to see my GP to get proof of this, as is clearly stated on .gov.uk
Correct, and i am the same as you regarding mask wearing. If people show the government that they are not willing to put up with it then the government will drop the requirement.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Just one death recorded today!! Possibly because yesterday was 14 (highish for a Sunday now) but that is nonetheless good to see.

1649 cases brings that down too. Hospitalizations won't be updated until Wednesday due to Bank Holiday lag.

DannyMich2018

Just one death recorded today!! Possibly because yesterday was 14 (highish for a Sunday now) but that is nonetheless good to see.

1649 cases brings that down too. Hospitalizations won't be updated until Wednesday due to Bank Holiday lag.
Yes it's all positive and going the right way. I know cases are often a little lower at the weekends/b hols but today's cases is I believe lowest for some months. Sunday's deaths are usually lower than Saturday's but opposite happened so due to bank hol todays low figure was expected. Not long till May 17th now....

Status
Not open for further replies.