• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

27007 One Last Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard

Hi I hope I can post this here. The last original 27, is woebegone and needs an emergency body transplant! I have launched a crowdfunder, please prove diesel preservation can make it happen! Thanks
http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/27007

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Brilliant, I've just seen this on facebook. One thing though, is the January deadline a little bit on the tightside, with Christmas coming up etc - Feb or March?

I Will be sending some money your way after payday though, I wish you luck with the project!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm quite emotionally attached to this loco having worked on it at the Mid Hants during the early 90s after the fire in the loco shed damaged it and also when it was running after restoration having many cab rides in it. It was by far the first 27 preserved (delivered to the MHR in with 25067 during the mid 80s by rail).
I knew it was in a bad way but I didn't realise it was quite that bad, I've not been up there for a while and the last I'd heard someone had started working on it again.
£100k is an awful lot of money to raise, but I'll be putting a bit in tomorrow.

Good luck.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I read the stuff in the link, but i am unclear - to what politics are you talking about?

27007 Crowdfunding page said:
To re-roof, refabricate body and restore 27007. I bought this loco as a derelict wreck, intending to use the chassis for an NBL Power Unit off D6332. Such a choice has been very hard, and there is a huge demand/outcry, to restore D5353/27007. The last vb 27, with original electrics also. Charmed life, Eastfield , then Inverness with welded panels, she has tablet recesses, and corridor doors,and was one of the last locos through Swindon, unofficially after preservation a Western Region boiler was 'found' fully refurbished, and refurbished bogies/wheelsets were 'found!' A charmed life, in preservation, a fire, then a collision, and now this. A Clean air certificate, but everything removed and carefully stored, but a roofless loco rusting in the open. The choice is simple. Donate and we regain this loco, if not what is left of the superstructure will go, and it shall be gone. A CIC Community Interest Company, will shelter her from future political problems.

To do this has to be a rapid, professional rebuild, in railway workshops benefiting preservation with work, and funds back in the pot. The Power Unit is a runner, started before the political problems beset the restoration, before it was sold onwards. Let all those clamouring for restoration to a 27 now do their duty and contribute, it will mean you are all part of a huge but acheivable project, as long as it has money, and lots of it. Without a roof it will simply die. Please help the last ORIGINAL CLASS 27

Could you also explain this bit as it sounds dodgy to me

unofficially after preservation a Western Region boiler was 'found' fully refurbished, and refurbished bogies/wheelsets were 'found!'

Apologies if it is not, but the way it is written set off my Concerned Alarm

TheBeard

I read the stuff in the link, but i am unclear - to what politics are you talking about?

Could you also explain this bit as it sounds dodgy to me

Apologies if it is not, but the way it is written set off my Concerned Alarm

As far as I know, the first owner had contacts at Swindon, and they had a by then unwanted boiler(steam heat had finished but Swindon still had spares, they had MAN warship engines until the 1980s) and the wheelsets were refurbished under contract, Swindon had Class 27s overhauled back then, and had a set left over. Excuse my alliteration, Railway works were often really helpful to preservationists. They'd always choose the best wheelsets off condemmed classes, and swap like for like scrap items for the best ones. I have edited this, apologies
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Political problems such as lying in pieces as it is.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I know, the first owner had contacts at Swindon, and they had a by then unwanted boiler(steam heat had finished but Swindon still had spares, they had MAN warship engines until the 1980s) and the wheelsets were refurbished under contract, Swindon had Class 27s overhauled back then, and had a set left over. Excuse my alliteration, Railway works were often really helpful to preservationists. They'd always choose the best wheelsets off condemmed classes, and swap like for like scrap items for the best ones. I have edited this, apologies
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Political problems such as lying in pieces as it is.

Did you buy it directly off the MHR? From what I remember 27007 had a good engine in it.

TheBeard

It was sold to an individual who commenced restoration but due to complex issues of which there is lots of hearsay on facebook, but suffice to say the temporary shelter had to be taken down the loco had to be moved and the project faltered. There is a lot of criticism of various people by keyboard warriors which is probably ill informed and unfair. It is now in such a perilous roofless half bodied bulkheadless state it needs to happen, or it won't, and the MHR want it moved away.

D6975

Established Member
Class 27s overhauled at Swindon????????????????//

Yup, they did quite a few. That's how one found its way to an open day on the WR, Westbury was it? I don't think any 26s ever made it to Swindon though.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Derby did a few 27 overhauls too, but similarly I can't remember any 26s going there.

Keeping on topic, there is a pic of the 27 in its current (or recent) state here.

fireftrm

That doesn't look like a worthy cause, more a lost cause. Wouldn't it be better to salvage all the usable parts and join with one of the other Class 27 owners?

Darandio

Established Member
what happens to the money pledged, if the target amount isn't reached, out of interest?

Perfectly valid question of course, given this crowdfunding website passes on the funds regardless of whether the target is reached or not.

scott118

Perfectly valid question of course, given this crowdfunding website passes on the funds regardless of whether the target is reached or not.

If insufficient funds towards the restoration of 27007 aren't raised, and the project is then deemed untenable, will the raised balance then, be transferred to the restoration of NBL D6332 ?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If insufficient funds towards the restoration of 27007 aren't raised, and the project is then deemed untenable, will the raised balance then, be transferred to the restoration of NBL D6332 ?

if it is like other crowd funding schemes the money gets returned if the target is not reached, often with an opportunity to reinvest in something similar.

Darandio

Established Member
if it is like other crowd funding schemes the money gets returned if the target is not reached, often with an opportunity to reinvest in something similar.

It doesn't get returned. As stated above, this particular site passes the funds on regardless of whether it's reached or not.

Darandio

Established Member
In this case, all money is returned. Thank you

Thanks for the clarification. However, when you consider the site FAQ's explicitly states otherwise, how were we supposed to know? I assume on creation of the page it gives you some sort of option?

Last edited:

TheBeard

Thanks for the clarification. However, when you consider the site FAQ's explicitly states otherwise, how were we supposed to know? I assume on creation of the page it gives you some sort of option?
It says under the big Yellow FUND IT button,it could be more clear, and I think some people take advantage of this and keep. Its 1700 average donations away, please add in.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_interest_company
This gives info re this in terms we all understand.

Darandio

Established Member
It says under the big Yellow FUND IT button,it could be more clear, and I think some people take advantage of this and keep.

Which is a great shame and obviously makes people wary.

Good luck with this and I sincerely hope you reach the target.

Dannypenguin

It doesn't get returned. As stated above, this particular site passes the funds on regardless of whether it's reached or not.

To clarify further, this site gives you the option when starting your crowdfunder what you would like to do - either keep any money raised or go 'all or nothing' - all or nothing campaigns reach their goal quicker and tend to raise more money (at least that's what the site says) than a 'keep whatever is raised'.

The statment under the fund it button changes as to which option you choose, so just check that before pledging if you prefer all or nothing campaigns. :) HTH

Good luck with your campaign, by the way, if the car hadn't gone wrong (collapsed steering box, death trap...) I would have chipped in!

Last edited:

On Moderation
See wnxx for the new political situation...

Ah.

So some people ask some legitimate questions, answers aren't really forthcoming, conversation degenerates into abuse so crowd funding effort is pulled as part of a major league toy throwing tantrum and flounce off.

Probably a good thing it collapsed in all honesty if that's the attitude...

Status
Not open for further replies.