• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

38 stock on the Isle of Wight Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

21C101

Established Member
How are they able to still run 1938 tube stock after the ban on old coaches such as Mk 1s without cup and cone came in?

Alas still waiting for the Isle of Wight underground to be extended back to Ventnor through that long single bore tunnel.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murph

Small isolated line with a single class of stock, low speed, and tripcocks. The risks that created pressure to modernise the mainland main line stock are simply not there. Additionally, I'd guess that they are probably not much worse than the 1972 LUL stock in terms of crash safety, with no concerns being raised about older LUL stock being unsafe and a massively less intensive service (lower risk) on the island line.

If the rules would normally prohibit their use, a derogation will have been granted for the unique special circumstances.

BestWestern

Established Member
Does the Island Line have tripcocks? Would be entirly logical I suppose, but I didn't know that!

As a curious aside, has there even been a significant accident or operating incident over there?

Murph

Good heavens. So basically, LUL had a superior product - again. Didn't realise they used tripcocks instead of AWS and TPS, very logical thinking.

It's mostly an accident of history that LUL & BR went different ways on that. LUL is strongly influenced by American practice, via Charles Yerkes at the start of the 20th century. Tripcocks and trainstops first appeared there. LUL also had a need of automatic protection from the very beginning due to the much higher risk posed by the tubes snaking their way around following the lines of streets making signal sighting is a major concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.