• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3tph on North Downs Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Last minute platform changes *should* be slightly different to holding connections in that staff really ought to insure everyone has moved to the right platform. Sadly this doesn’t always occur.
Rightly or wrongly I use to stand in the doorway to ensure passengers would make the train in case staff had other ideas, for whatever reason. Only if it was a late platform change of course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was hoping to get the 19:29 Gatwick Aiport to Reading service this evening but the 19:12 from Haywadds Heath was late.

This isn't an official connection but 9 times out of 10 one can make the connection.

Anyway to my surprise I noticed that if I had wanted to get the stopping train from Redhill to Reading, the only train that connects you onto that is the 19:29.

I assume this is just temporary due to the reduced timetable on Thameslink. I was surprised by it though

Two fast trains an hour can't come soon enough.

Fortunately I can travel via Clapham Junction. Abwt I will be in 21:03 as opposed to 20:15.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I was hoping to get the 19:29 Gatwick Aiport to Reading service this evening but the 19:12 from Haywadds Heath was late.

This isn't an official connection but 9 times out of 10 one can make the connection.

Anyway to my surprise I noticed that if I had wanted to get the stopping train from Redhill to Reading, the only train that connects you onto that is the 19:29.

I assume this is just temporary due to the reduced timetable on Thameslink. I was surprised by it though

Fortunately I can travel via Clapham Junction. Abwt I will be in 21:03 as opposed to 20:15.
Missed by one minute, doh! If it hadn't stopped at Three Bridges you'd have made it as it was cross platform.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That is off the agenda though isn't it. Any extra Gatwick services will be extensions of the stopping trains. It has long been the case that connections from Gatwick into Redhill starters have not been much later than the through service.

Not really - the Thameslink departures from Gatwick are xx32 for xx47 at Redhill and xx49 for xx59. The Bedford stopper follows the GWR service out of Gatwick. The Peterborough service is broadly on the opposite quarter hour.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
That is off the agenda though isn't it. Any extra Gatwick services will be extensions of the stopping trains. It has long been the case that connections from Gatwick into Redhill starters have not been much later than the through service.

Not really - the Thameslink departures from Gatwick are xx32 for xx47 at Redhill and xx49 for xx59. The Bedford stopper follows the GWR service out of Gatwick. The Peterborough service is broadly on the opposite quarter hour.
I actually just meant 2 trains an hour.

There was no 19:32. Had there been one I would have caught it.

The times are 19:19, 19:29, 19:49.

The train from Redhill leaves 19:58.

The times are 19:19

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.