• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3tph on North Downs Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Previous posts from @Clarence Yard have said that they were entertaining the idea of DC running on some (but not all) sections, depending on constraints.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tornado

If the 769s are not going to running on the North Downs Line in the near future, then why introduce the December timetable with the "stretched out" running times to accomodate their weaker performance?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the 769s are not going to running on the North Downs Line in the near future, then why introduce the December timetable with the "stretched out" running times to accomodate their weaker performance?
I suppose the next opportunity to change the timetable would be too late. You cannot wait until they are already in service.

JN114

Established Member

Because there are set times you can make such fundamental changes to the timetable, particularly where they impact or interface with other operators services. There is still at least the desire to see them onto N Downs services before the May TT change.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Because there are set times you can make such fundamental changes to the timetable, particularly where they impact or interface with other operators services. There is still at least the desire to see them onto N Downs services before the May TT change.
That isn't as bad as the timetable change last May, where they introduced the new timetable for slow trains but didn't run any fast trains so passenger had a long wait at Guildford for a train that wasn't running to overtake it. This continued throughout the summer too, when I was hoping for an increase in service.

This came in September at least. I personally felt it should have been sooner but that's just my opinion.

I assume the May timetable change was also needed so that they could introduce such overtaking trains in September.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I travelled on a train for the first time since February today, going from Betchworth to Guildford and back (gasp!). The two 165s I used both had their first class reinstated (the programme for which was underway long before C19 hit), but STILL had no stripe over the windows. How hard can it really be to provide a genuinely-useful stripe rather than the near-useless pencil line, and apply it consistently, rather than the hotch-potch that has gone on for many years? The outbound train had the internal PIS display stating that the next station would be Reigate all the way to Guildford, while the P.A. announcements were almost drowned out by a loud buzzing over the system every time it was used. I stopped using the line to commute in 2017, but I was assured even before then by GWR that they were committed to ensuring their units on the route met "the highest standards expected by their customers". In over three years (and actually for many years before 2017), the same old defects still abound - C19 cannot be used as an excuse for the basic failure to correct these issues over so many years.

I notice that with the new North Downs timetable that the headcodes of some of the fast Redhill trains have been changed to be in the range 1O10-1O15. This will have no affect upon the travelling public, but to a mildly curious geek it is strange to see headcodes being duplicated with those used by Cross Country trains at, or very near to, the same time e.g;

1O14 1336 Reading - Redhill (in P6)

1O14 1027 Manchester Piccadilly - Reading (arr 1340 in the adjacent platform in P7)

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
That’s an interesting observation, I suspect that might get changed once spotted as it’s a potential for confusion / incident.

Class 170101

Established Member
I notice that with the new North Downs timetable that the headcodes of some of the fast Redhill trains have been changed to be in the range 1O10-1O15. This will have no affect upon the travelling public, but to a mildly curious geek it is strange to see headcodes being duplicated with those used by Cross Country trains at, or very near to, the same time e.g;

1O14 1336 Reading - Redhill (in P6)

1O14 1027 Manchester Piccadilly - Reading (arr 1340 in the adjacent platform in P7)

oops

That’s an interesting observation, I suspect that might get changed once spotted as it’s a potential for confusion / incident.

The only blessing might be is do they actually appear on the same workstation / Controlling Signal Box at Reading?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Although all it takes is one track circuit / points failure in Reading platforms 4/5/6 for a North Downs service to be diverted up into Reading main station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
At the risk of drifting off topic, what is the practical benefit of platforms 4,5 & 6 being logically part of the GW “signalling network” rather than part of Wessex? If the signalling boundary was on the various connecting spur lines and on the underpass route, i.e. at the same positions as the Western/Wessex route boundaries, would it cause any operational problems?

Deepgreen

Established Member
There's a North Downs departmental working today on RTT which has the service code 'VVR' - I've not seen this before and I can't find reference to it on RTT's site - does anyone know if this is a new code, and, if so, its meaning?
Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 11.03.12.png

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There's a North Downs departmental working today on RTT which has the service code 'VVR' - I've not seen this before and I can't find reference to it on RTT's site - does anyone know if this is a new code, and, if so, its meaning?
View attachment 87243

A quick search of this forum https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/realtimetrains-website.189152/page-17#post-4650198 says

I notice some on-the-day VSTPs being marked as VVR... What does this stand for please?

VSTP alterations to WTT/VAR services I believe.

although I concede that isn't necessarily conclusive.

I notice that those North Downs services with 'conflicting' headcodes at Reading have had their WTT headcodes changed effective from today. The 1336 Reading - Redhill has been changed from 1O14 to 1O05

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I notice that those North Downs services with 'conflicting' headcodes at Reading have had their WTT headcodes changed effective from today. The 1336 Reading - Redhill has been changed from 1O14 to 1O05

Told you it would get fixed 8-)

Bessie

On the Class 319-769 conversion thread I see that hardly any of these GWR units have been started. At the Rail Recovery Conference last week the focus on decarbonisation was strong. Surely it’s time to scrap this project and do 3rd rail infill. As things stand I can’t see the 769’s entering service until 2022.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
On the Class 319-769 conversion thread I see that hardly any of these GWR units have been started. At the Rail Recovery Conference last week the focus on decarbonisation was strong. Surely it’s time to scrap this project and do 3rd rail infill. As things stand I can’t see the 769’s entering service until 2022.

What is stopping 769s entering traffic is the currently inability to train on them due to Covid-19 restrictions. As GWR drivers don’t currently sign any 3rd rail EMU stock the same issue would affect any new stock for the route 3rd rail infil or not.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The 769s aren't only going to be used on the North Downs Line. Indeed, it has been suggested in this thread that it won't be the first GWR line to see them. There are two 769s at Reading and others ready at Burton.

It might be noted that if 769s ever do work on the North Downs Line they are a ready made fleet for electrification.

There also isn't anything like 3tph operating at the moment.

JN114

Established Member
The 769s aren't only going to be used on the North Downs Line. Indeed, it has been suggested in this thread that it won't be the first GWR line to see them. There are two 769s at Reading and others ready at Burton.

It might be noted that if 769s ever do work on the North Downs Line they are a ready made fleet for electrification.

There also isn't anything like 3tph operating at the moment.

Indeed, it’s barely above 1tph most of the day...

infobleep

Veteran Member
Indeed, it’s barely above 1tph most of the day...
Shame it isn't possible to use the reducing train working to train staff but of course social distancing is a hindrance, no matter now many trains are running.

FenMan

Established Member
Shame it isn't possible to use the reducing train working to train staff but of course social distancing is a hindrance, no matter now many trains are running.
The Shalford extras are running today. This would have been the first day back after half term and maybe GWR have decided to stick with it?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Given that third rail electrification infilling may well be back on the table (in theory), I wonder if we'll ever see the 769s on the NDL. Their conversion saga has been a very sorry one and it would be ironic if electrification were to beat them to it! However, given the impending decade-long deep economic depression, I doubt whether either will materialise and suspect that the status quo will remain.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Given that third rail electrification infilling may well be back on the table (in theory), I wonder if we'll ever see the 769s on the NDL. Their conversion saga has been a very sorry one and it would be ironic if electrification were to beat them to it! However, given the impending decade-long deep economic depression, I doubt whether either will materialise and suspect that the status quo will remain.

Pretty unlikely the North Downs will have electrification installed any time in the next decade.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Pretty unlikely the North Downs will have electrification installed any time in the next decade.
I have this wonderful vision of OLE being strung out from Reading to Reigate...:lol:

Electrification of either form hasn't been talked about in any of the next round of upgrades I'm aware of, so the 769s will have a home until they are well on the way to a 2nd retirement.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have this wonderful vision of OLE being strung out from Reading to Reigate...:lol:

Electrification of either form hasn't been talked about in any of the next round of upgrades I'm aware of, so the 769s will have a home until they are well on the way to a 2nd retirement.

There’s also a load of steel sleepers between Wokingham and Ash that would have to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.