• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4-Day Private Charter With 40145 on ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Tomorrow (25 September) a private charter is due to start a four day tour. The ECS is headed from Crewe to Euston by 40145 (90001 tailing), which then plays no further part in the tour until it heads the ECS on Day 4 from Wembley Yard to Euston and then tails (with 90001 leading) back up to Crewe. Any ideas why the 40 is to be used in this limited, non-passenger way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I seem to recall reading somewhere (perhaps on RUK forums) that when the the news broke of 40145 going on loan to Locomotive Services Ltd. it's intended use was only planned to be for driver route learning & ECS moves?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I seem to recall reading somewhere (perhaps on RUK forums) that when the the news broke of 40145 going on loan to Locomotive Services Ltd. it's intended use was only planned to be for driver route learning & ECS moves?
Yes I think you’re right there.
Perhaps it’s an easy loco to spare for such duties at the moment?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yes I think you’re right there.
Perhaps it’s an easy loco to spare for such duties at the moment?

Could be totally wrong here but would the 40 still be passed for some of those Scottish routes covered by this tour anyway?

Deepgreen

Established Member
My point was that it seems a waste of a celebrity loco, but perhaps it is simply being regarded as a basic box here. The ECS may attract as much attention as the tour!

On Moderation
Tomorrow (25 September) a private charter is due to start a four day tour. The ECS is headed from Crewe to Euston by 40145 (90001 tailing), which then plays no further part in the tour until it heads the ECS on Day 4 from Wembley Yard to Euston and then tails (with 90001 leading) back up to Crewe. Any ideas why the 40 is to be used in this limited, non-passenger way?
It will be a lot easier pathing a charter on the West Coast with 100mph electric traction than a Class 40.

clagmonster

Established Member
Is Wembley Yard - Euston not passenger carrying on Monday? I suspect that there is some reason behind its use, as LSL have three other AC electrics available which could easily work.

Smoggy

There are no members of public onboard, only staff, It's basically a test run for 6705 and 6706 which are the latest members of the fleet and will have a dedicated role.

The full consist for those interested on 5Z40 is 40145 with 6705, 6706, 99993, 6708, 10520, 17159, 6311 & 90001.
37521/667 will work the Scottish legs and back to York Monday morning.

clagmonster

Established Member
There are no members of public onboard, only staff, It's basically a test run for 6705 and 6706 which are the latest members of the fleet and will have a dedicated role.
I should have clarified. By passenger carrying, I meant invited guest carrying.

superjohn

The entire four day trip? That’s quite a test run! Maybe it’s a rehearsal for similar ‘Landcruise’ type tours in the planning. With the multiple overnight stops will the sleeper car actually be used as such or is it in a support coach role?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Wow - a four day coach test run! Perhaps they should have advertised for passengers to travel at their own risk, even if not in the two coaches on test?! I'm sure many would do so, but I also assume there are various reasons why running it empty is the only option. A bizarre test running operation, nonetheless, as it uses many heavily-used routes to do so.

Smoggy

Wow - a four day coach test run! Perhaps they should have advertised for passengers to travel at their own risk, even if not in the two coaches on test?! I'm sure many would do so, but I also assume there are various reasons why running it empty is the only option. A bizarre test running operation, nonetheless, as it uses many heavily-used routes to do so.
6705 and 6706 will never be part of a public carrying service, plus electrically they are 3 phase only now so can't work with the usual railtour stock. (All the other vehicles in rake today have had 3 phase retrofitted)
Its not my place to say but I'm sure the reasons why will become apparent soon enough.

Trackman

Established Member
and costly too.
Anyone any pics yet?

Trackman

Established Member
6705 and 6706 will never be part of a public carrying service, plus electrically they are 3 phase only now so can't work with the usual railtour stock. (All the other vehicles in rake today have had 3 phase retrofitted)
Its not my place to say but I'm sure the reasons why will become apparent soon enough.

Oh, The 1X00 headcode may have given it away!!

edit:
Nice video here on YouTube:
Thanks!

Malcmal

Oh, The 1X00 headcode may have given it away!!
Thanks!

So the Royal Train going from what Google tells me??

Also an interesting picture here on Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/21RufEn

with the equally interesting caption of:

"The queen is not on Board yet as can be seen by he Headcode showing 1X00 which would change to 1X01 when the Queen is on board"

Learned something new today I must admit :D

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
So the Royal Train going from what Google tells me??

Also an interesting picture here on Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/21RufEn

with the equally interesting caption of:

"The queen is not on Board yet as can be seen by he Headcode showing 1X00 which would change to 1X01 when the Queen is on board"

Learned something new today I must admit :D
Ah, I know 1X00 and 1X01 are used, but I didn't know 1X01 was used if the Queen was on board.
You learn something new everyday!

FQTV

I see that Northern Belle has brought an additional two carriages onto their fleet, reportedly Midland Pullmans originally. Might these be included in this consist?

To further complement our beautiful fleet of luxury carriages we have added two Pullman coaches to allow additional space between guests, these coaches represent the only genuine Mark II Pullman set operating on main line in England, beautifully restored and offering luxurious occupancy.

The first Pullman Railway Coach to enter service in the UK was in 1874 from Bradford Forster Square to London St Pancras after an assembly of imports from the United States, in an operation pioneered by the Midland Railway, working with the Pullman Company in Chicago. The coaches added to our fleet were first used running from London to Manchester in the 1960’s

The Planner

Veteran Member
It will be a lot easier pathing a charter on the West Coast with 100mph electric traction than a Class 40.
Not really, can sit in a Class 4 path on the slows. There used to be a standard charter path out of Euston on a Saturday morning too in the past. The empty stock from Southall still has a WTT path every weekend.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I see that Northern Belle has brought an additional two carriages onto their fleet, reportedly Midland Pullmans originally. Might these be included in this consist?

The Northern Belle is now run by the West Coast Railway Company so nothing to do with this. No they are mark 2s as used on the electric hauled "Manchester Pullman".

Smoggy

Since mentioned elsewhere, 6705/06 are the start of a Private Train for exclusive use by Mr H and his invited guests, so unfortunately 1X00 displayed was merely to indicate that 5Z40 was en route to collect Mr H from Euston.

ABB125

Established Member
Since mentioned elsewhere, 6705/06 are the start of a Private Train for exclusive use by Mr H and his invited guests, so unfortunately 1X00 displayed was merely to indicate that 5Z40 was en route to collect Mr H from Euston.
I should know who Mr H is, but I can't think of him right now. Is it Hosking?

Status
Not open for further replies.