• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4 Sub Association Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Thank you for the add to your group. I thought I would put a update on here as on reading some of the threads there has been questions about some EMU's in preservation and thought this was a good place to put a update.

After years out in the open stored at Coventry we can today announce that 4732 has been offered a permanent place on display in the One:one Museum at Margate.

The proviso is that the unit undergoes a full cosmetic restoration to display standard.

This is simply too good an offer to turn down. From being stored in a field on the outskirts of Coventry in all weathers to being on display alongside an A4, Deltic, Eurostar and other iconic trains in an all weather facility is a far more appropriate retirement for the very last of the 4-SUB units, and the Heritage Electric Trains Trust is very grateful for this chance.

We will be launching an appeal to start the work very soon. Driving Motor Brake 12796 is now designated ‘Car One’ and will be the first vehicle to go off site for the body overhaul, under frame cleaning and full repaint before returning to Margate. We will be aiming for June 2022 as completion date for Car 1 with the other three to follow in sequence with the whole unit treated by Summer 2024.

We will need your support, full details of how to be a supporter will be published here in due course, as a supporter you can even help us decide what colour to paint it.

We do have regular ways to donate

1. Our 750 Supply Scheme, a pledge is a regular amount you contribute to our funds each month. A bronze pledge is £10 a month, silver £25 a month and the top tier is gold at £50 a month. Go to http://HETT.org.uk for details.
2. We can accept one off PayPal donations to our dedicated charity account: [email protected]

Also our merchandise is listed on a dedicated Facebook Group Page which can be found here (this can be accessed without a facebook account) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/4SubAssociationSales

If you have any enquires feel free to message me here or via the contact page of the 4sub association here - https://4sub4732.co.uk/contact-us.html

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
What's the plan livery-wise? Southern with yellow panels as per last days in service, or one of the liveries it carried earlier in life?

Glad it's safe for the future.

The livery has not been planned as of yet. At the moment we need to raise funds towards Driving Motor Brake 12796 to go off for a fully body overhaul

Journeyman

Established Member
Where will the work be done?

Personally, I'm happy for it to be repainted into the livery it currently carries

How many shades of green did SUB units wear in their lifetime. I understood the shades could differ between paint shops

Of that generation of SUB, there were 2 versions - malachite green, similar to that carried by the unit currently, although that particular unit wasn't built until 1951. It would have been painted that shade, but with BR style lettering, numbering and logos. By the later fifties, a darker shade common to most multiple unit classes had taken over.

Where will the work be done?

Personally, I'm happy for it to be repainted into the livery it currently carries

How many shades of green did SUB units wear in their lifetime. I understood the shades could differ between paint shops

At present quotes are being sought for this work.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi all

Thank you for the add to your group. I thought I would put a update on here as on reading some of the threads there has been questions about some EMU's in preservation and thought this was a good place to put a update.

After years out in the open stored at Coventry we can today announce that 4732 has been offered a permanent place on display in the One:one Museum at Margate.

The proviso is that the unit undergoes a full cosmetic restoration to display standard.

This is simply too good an offer to turn down. From being stored in a field on the outskirts of Coventry in all weathers to being on display alongside an A4, Deltic, Eurostar and other iconic trains in an all weather facility is a far more appropriate retirement for the very last of the 4-SUB units, and the Heritage Electric Trains Trust is very grateful for this chance.

We will be launching an appeal to start the work very soon. Driving Motor Brake 12796 is now designated ‘Car One’ and will be the first vehicle to go off site for the body overhaul, under frame cleaning and full repaint before returning to Margate. We will be aiming for June 2022 as completion date for Car 1 with the other three to follow in sequence with the whole unit treated by Summer 2024.

We will need your support, full details of how to be a supporter will be published here in due course, as a supporter you can even help us decide what colour to paint it.

We do have regular ways to donate

1. Our 750 Supply Scheme, a pledge is a regular amount you contribute to our funds each month. A bronze pledge is £10 a month, silver £25 a month and the top tier is gold at £50 a month. Go to http://HETT.org.uk for details.
2. We can accept one off PayPal donations to our dedicated charity account: [email protected]

Also our merchandise is listed on a dedicated Facebook Group Page which can be found here (this can be accessed without a facebook account) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/4SubAssociationSales

If you have any enquires feel free to message me here or via the contact page of the 4sub association here - https://4sub4732.co.uk/contact-us.html

Many thanks
Superb news. I recall seeing this unit in the 80s at BR events and always thinking how good it looked. I assume condition is now not that great....how bad are things? Is it mainly paint work or is there a lot of corrosion / damage to repair? Any pics to see if how things are now.

Superb news. I recall seeing this unit in the 80s at BR events and always thinking how good it looked. I assume condition is now not that great....how bad are things? Is it mainly paint work or is there a lot of corrosion / damage to repair? Any pics to see if how things are now.

Hi. Yes there is some photos of it at Margate currently. It needs a fair amount of work including corrosion repair. PFA pictures of the first carraige when arrived at Margate.

One of the interiors is stripped out of one of the carraiges due to it was rotting when it arrived at coventry. If it was left in there the would of been nothing left.

Many thanks

Also a picture of 12796 the first carraige to be restored.

Attachments

• 4sub arrival 2.jpg
    4sub arrival 2.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 4sub arrival.jpg
    4sub arrival.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 4sub arrival 3.jpg
    4sub arrival 3.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi. Yes there is some photos of it at Margate currently. It needs a fair amount of work including corrosion repair. PFA pictures of the first carraige when arrived at Margate.

One of the interiors is stripped out of one of the carraiges due to it was rotting when it arrived at coventry. If it was left in there the would of been nothing left.

Many thanks

Also a picture of 12796 the first carraige to be restored.
Thanks - sad to see how it has declined from when I last saw it - BUT - do hope feasible to get it back. I'll look at your site to see how I can help eg with donation.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Are you planning to make the interior accessible/visible at all? Because the interiors of these trains are just as important as the exterior.

WAO

I imagine that the extent of restoration will depend on the support given by all of us in railway heritage. Carriage repair (being mostly sheet metal work and finishing) is generally much simpler and cheaper than boilers, motion, driving wheels and frames for steam loco's.

If we can find the large resources for loco repairs, new builds and line extensions, then raising the more modest amount needed for this carriage restoration will be a test of the heritage movement's good judgement.

As you are able, make it happen.

WAO

Thank you for the above comment. The only thing i would say (which affected some of the 1st Gen DMUs) asbestos removal can get expensive and sometimes more than the carraige is worth. Hence why some of the XP64 stock got scrapped after being preserved (Sligt Off Topic)

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thank you for the above comment. The only thing i would say (which affected some of the 1st Gen DMUs) aspestos removal can get expensive and sometimes more than the carraige is worht. Hence why some of the XP64 stock got scrapped after being preserved (Sligt Off Topic)
Hopefully no asbestos in your 4 sub?

Hi Both

Just spoke to Graeme about Asbestos. It does have some white asbestos. But confined to Arc chutes, insulation on junction boxes and under heaters

Further to the question about opening the interiors. An eventual plan is to have sections of the interior open to the public as part of the commuter experience.

Many thanks

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi Both

Just spoke to Graeme about Asbestos. It does have some white asbestos. But confined to Arc chutes, insulation on junction boxes and under heaters

Further to the question about opening the interiors. An eventual plan is to have sections of the interior open to the public as part of the commuter experience.

Many thanks
Thanks for the report back - interesting to read. Good news ref interiors, as of course that is what many people will actually recall - sitting in them - but of course priority is to make the outside look good and then it's easier to work on getting things inside back up to standard in the fullness of time. Hopefully things are not too bad inside the carriages.

Here is a picture of the interior when it was at coventry. I think the above picture is probably from the motor coach.

As i have said previously. The interiors from one of the coach was taken out when it arrived at coventry due to rotting. The other three carriage are generally ok as per the picture below.

Attachments

• cov interior.jpg
    cov interior.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 88

JohnElliott

With four vehicles with two sides each, maybe up to eight different liveries could be possible?
Pushing the history out at both ends: LSWR salmon/brown, LBSCR umber, SECR crimson lake, SR green, BR green, BR blue / grey, LSE jaffa cake (green suburban variant), NSE stripes?

Journeyman

Established Member
Having different liveries on each side does look a bit odd as well.

Yes, which means that...

hasn't shildon NRM done an EPB or HAP in BR Blue 1 side, NSE the other?

...said HAP looks rather odd.

While the SUB was famous for it's pseudo-Southern Railway livery, I'd suggest it should carry one of its authentic liveries, these being BR green or Rail Blue. I'd be happy with either, but an interesting variation would be blue with small yellow panels and white unit numbers, as briefly carried by a few SUBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.