• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

43044 (and more trailers) Preserved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhansak

Looks lovely. Will the headlights be changed back to their original design, or are these here to stay for safety reasons (I assume a bit like high intensity lights on all over green preserved diesels)?

Tempest3K

Looks lovely. Will the headlights be changed back to their original design, or are these here to stay for safety reasons (I assume a bit like high intensity lights on all over green preserved diesels)?
No plans to change them for a number of reasons.

superjohn

I guess it would depend on the intended usage. If mainline use is planned it will probably need to retain the current set up, I don’t imagine grandfather rights would stretch to reverting back to inferior lights.

The team restoring 43018 at Crewe Heritage Centre have recreated the old style with perspex covers, so it can be done, but that one is highly unlikely to go near the mainline (the lack of an engine being a bigger hurdle).

fgwrich

Established Member
No plans to change them for a number of reasons.
Equally, why change what isn't broken. I am firmly in the camp that the later designs both looked better and were far more practical, not ending up broken / full of humidity / dead pigeons or as a windscreen wash collection point. They also add better to the streamlined appearance of the HST - more so with 044 painted up like this.

fgwrich

Established Member
And here it is! Thanks to Porterbrook, 43159 will also join the 125 Group - This now means that both record holders have now been saved! A big Thank you to Porterbrook for making this happen.

Porterbrook’s generous donation completes HST story showcase​

20th June 2021
image.png

With the recent handover of 43102 (one of the power cars involved in the 1987 record breaking test run) to the National Collection at Shildon, the other power car 43159, has faced a less certain future, having been in store for a prolonged period since retirement from Great Western operation.

125 Group is delighted to announce today that Porterbrook, the power car’s owner, has made a fantastic donation of this second world diesel speed record holder 43159, to 125 Group.

While we have always selected our vehicles based on condition and availability, rather than painted number, the historical significance has certainly played a large part in this case, but 125 Group still satisfied itself that the vehicle was in good overall condition before confirming to Porterbrook that they wished to proceed.

This puts 125 Group in a unique position, as not only one of the few owners of preserved HST vehicles, but the only one that can show such a wide range of the HST’s history; 43159 of-course being fitted with an MTU engine as part of its return to service with First Great Western in 2007.

The Group’s plan for the fleet will see a Valenta fitted, Marston cooled power car (43044), two VP185 fitted power cars with Brush coolers (43048 & 43089) and an MTU powered example with Voith cooler (43159). All are planned to be maintained in an operational condition with main line certification. These power cars will be utilised in conjunction with the nine HST trailer vehicles owned by the Group, allowing a variation of formations and uses depending on the market need.

125 Group again wishes to place on record its sincerest gratitude to Porterbrook for their amazing generosity in supporting our aims, but also wishes to thank its own members, for their support and financial backing to bring this small fleet of HSTs into the preservation circle.

Ongoing support to our engineering/operational teams, or financial support towards the upkeep and operation of these fabulous vehicles, can be made through our Direct Debit schemes, or Group membership, as detailed on our website. https://www.125group.org.uk/you-can-help/

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Good news indeed, I'm looking forward to HST travel along the 18 mile GCR (Once the "Gap" is filled!)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
43159 will also join the 125 Group

That is good news. I don't follow the numbers so wasn't aware this was "special". I am more interested that the group have added an MTU engine/Voith cooler group example to their collection. Good work. Might have to up my DD now!

The_Train

Established Member
That is good news. I don't follow the numbers so wasn't aware this was "special". I am more interested that the group have added an MTU engine/Voith cooler group example to their collection. Good work. Might have to up my DD now!

Indeed, I believe that means they have examples of Valenta (when it is fitted), VP185 and MTU engines in their fleet?

On Moderation
Correct - It was always the plan to have at least 1 example of each in the group, the fact 159 was available was an even bigger added bonus.
It’s actually more luck than anything that they’ve ended up with an example of each. The only published plan - which has been an objective since the group formed in 1994 - has been for preservation of a Valenta engined power car. There’s never been any commitment to anything other than that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It’s actually more luck than anything that they’ve ended up with an example of each. The only published plan - which has been an objective since the group formed in 1994 - has been for preservation of a Valenta engined power car. There’s never been any commitment to anything other than that.
A decent outcome in addition to the stated goal. I don't envy the spares people mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.