• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvester

Established Member
I have seen suggestions online that 45015 at Shackerstone has a small about of asbestos in the boiler compartment, which is a concern and would cost a few bob to remove.
I visited Shackerstone two years ago and back then 45015 looked a complete wreck. IIRC, as a result a court case over unpaid rent, the Railway Society acquired unexpected ownership of 45015, but show no interest in doing anything with it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I visited Shackerstone two years ago and back then 45015 looked a complete wreck. IIRC, as a result a court case over unpaid rent, the Railway Society acquired unexpected ownership of 45015, but show no interest in doing anything with it.

Yes I think that’s because there’s virtually nothing worth having on it and it’ll cost the railway a fair amount of money to dispose of it due in part to the above mentioned asbestos issue I believe.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Yes I think that’s because there’s virtually nothing worth having on it and it’ll cost the railway a fair amount of money to dispose of it due in part to the above mentioned asbestos issue I believe.
I think the issues with disposing of it is the weight of it on a low loader. There seem to be plenty of locos moving to and from the railway so there is clearly road access, and I believe 130 odd tonne class 58s have been and gone to Leicester. Not sure how much of 45015 is missing but it is probably no heavier than a class 58 now, or even lighter - just longer.

markindurham

Latest word on 45015 is that there isn't as much asbestos involved as previously thought. Good news. However, only a truly fanatical Peakist can realistically see it ever being restored, given that there are several other class members still extant. Yes, she does have some unique features, but given how long she's been sat, open to the elements and just rotting away, the costs/time required are astronomical.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Latest word on 45015 is that there isn't as much asbestos involved as previously thought. Good news. However, only a truly fanatical Peakist can realistically see it ever being restored, given that there are several other class members still extant. Yes, she does have some unique features, but given how long she's been sat, open to the elements and just rotting away, the costs/time required are astronomical.
think it's only legitimate claim to fame is that it was one of the first four (I think) 2500hp Sulzers built with nose doors D11-D14.

The most logical way of dealing with it would be for the owners of 45060 to consider a temporary mod to one or both ends to incorporate nose doors, as D100 it was built with split headcode panels and come accommodate the doors. Whether there is anything left under the plating of 45015 which would help with the nose end doors, but copying those on D4 or D8 are probably easier.

Richard Scott

Established Member
The most logical way of dealing with it would be for the owners of 45060 to consider a temporary mod to one or both ends to incorporate nose doors, as D100 it was built with split headcode panels and come accommodate the doors.
Or not bothering, not having a 45 with nose end doors is no loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.