• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

47211 Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
I put this thread here because it's not traction any more just a cab cutting

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the cab cutting in Brighton?
My father is a postman and came across it a number of years ago and told me about it. I've been interested in finding it for a few years. But never bothered.
Several days ago, a photo of it emerged, and reignited my curiosity to find it.

Having lived only a few miles away for most of my life I was interested that the remains of a 47 existed so close to my past.

I understand it's probably privately owned but from what I've been told it's in a reasonably public area.

I spent around 45 mins this evening looking around a few roads where it exists (according to my father's postal round several years ago, assuming it hasn't been moved) but I couldn't find it.
Would anyone know exactly where it is so that I could take a look , just for the sake of saying I've seen in, as you never know when something like this is going to get recked by vandals, sold away or scrapped.

Please do not hesitate to send me a Private Message if you don't mind sharing it's whereabouts, it would save me a bit of time. The area I looked it was difficult to tell what was someone's garden/pathway and what wasn't, I'm suprised someone didn't come out with a shot gun.
I'll also keep quiet about its whereabouts im sure the owner doesn't want a load of tourists flooding to the area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I put this thread here because it's not traction any more just a cab cutting

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the cab cutting in Brighton?
My father is a postman and came across it a number of years ago and told me about it. I've been interested in finding it for a few years. But never bothered.
Several days ago, a photo of it emerged, and reignited my curiosity to find it.

Having lived only a few miles away for most of my life I was interested that the remains of a 47 existed so close to my past.

I understand it's probably privately owned but from what I've been told it's in a reasonably public area.

I spent around 45 mins this evening looking around a few roads where it exists (according to my father's postal round several years ago, assuming it hasn't been moved) but I couldn't find it.
Would anyone know exactly where it is so that I could take a look , just for the sake of saying I've seen in, as you never know when something like this is going to get recked by vandals, sold away or scrapped.

Please do not hesitate to send me a Private Message if you don't mind sharing it's whereabouts, it would save me a bit of time. The area I looked it was difficult to tell what was someone's garden/pathway and what wasn't, I'm suprised someone didn't come out with a shot gun.
I'll also keep quiet about its whereabouts im sure the owner doesn't want a load of tourists flooding to the area.

I have a good friend involved in rail preservation based down in Worthing close to you, just sent him a message to see if he can shed any light on this so will get back if any info is forthcoming.

trainmania100

Established Member
Many thanks ash, I'm sure I was in the right area, it's just it was getting dark and started to look a bit suspicious that's all

Trackman

Established Member
Here is a photo of it taken last week.
Maybe some clues in the comments..

Malcmal

That's really cool. There are more photos of this cab at:

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_photos_1.php??index=0&jndex=2&kndex=11&s_loco=47211

Taken in 2007 so it's been there a LONG time :smile:

1097-51121.jpg

Last edited:

trainmania100

Established Member
Thanks chaps. I went and saw it today so I'm satisfied.
The cab used to be in someone's garden in hollingbury Brighton, but it would appear that it was moved as this certainly wasn't near Brighton.. A kind gent shared the location with me but requested I don't give any details of its location, sorry I'd better respect that.

I understand there's quite a few cabs around, what was that one in the car park of a pub in the Midlands

Attachments

• IMG_20200828_114130_compress71.jpg
    IMG_20200828_114130_compress71.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200828_114256_compress70.jpg
    IMG_20200828_114256_compress70.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 22

xotGD

Established Member
Thanks chaps. I went and saw it today so I'm satisfied.
The cab used to be in someone's garden in hollingbury Brighton, but it would appear that it was moved as this certainly wasn't near Brighton.. A kind gent shared the location with me but requested I don't give any details of its location, sorry I'd better respect that.

I understand there's quite a few cabs around, what was that one in the car park of a pub in the Midlands
So, the million dollar question: Did you count it for sight?

DB

The one in the pub car park is 37411 and it's The Alexandra in Derby, near the station.

There's a bloke in South Wales who has quite a collection of diesel and electric loco cabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.