• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4O05, 07:15 Birch Coppice Freightliner to Southampton M.C.T derailed at Eastleigh (28/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
489W on RTT and RR and on maps just outside Eastleigh near parkway. Wonder what the damage is this week...

parkender102

FFS...……….Had to be the day I'm flying to Krakow from Stansted and I've got to get the train from Farnborough at 14:30 (now delayed and I'm expecting soon to be cancelled) into Waterloo and thence up to Liverpool Street for the Stansted Express! I'm hoping the xx:16 and xx:46 Basingstoke to London Waterloo stoppers won't be affected?

Dunfanaghy Rd

https://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/18192228.freight-derails-coming-eastleigh-station/
TRAIN has derailed coming out of Eastleigh station, it has been revealed.
The incident coming out of the station is expected to cause major disruption to train services across the region.
A tweet from Network Rail Wessex said the incident would affect services between London Waterloo, Southampton, Bournemouth and Weymouth.
British Transport POlice are also on the scene.
A spokesman saiid that no one had been injured in the incident.
But he added: "Disruption likely for rest of the day. Avoid the area if possible." Etc. . .

Reminds me of one about 20-25 years ago. Same sort of thing, derailed pulling away after a crew change. That was a defective (as in demolished) roller bearing, I have a piccy of it somewhere.
Pat

Last edited by a moderator:

341o2

Established Member
More news here https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18192211.freight-derails-coming-eastleigh-station/

A TRAIN has derailed coming out of Eastleigh station, it has been revealed.

The incident coming out of the station is expected to cause major disruption to train services across the region.

A woman working opposite the station said a container appeared to have come off a Freightliner train on the southern side of the station, near the Swan Centre.

"The whole building shook for ten seconds - we didn't know what had happened.

"A lot of rail workers are hovering around the area.

"There wasn't too much noise - just a rumble and a shudder. Someone looked out of the window and said a container had come off a train."

Monty

Established Member
I may or may not have a front row seat.. ;)

The damage to the track is severe so its doing to take a while to sort out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_115115.jpg
    IMG_20200128_115115.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,005

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Bad news when all available resources are presumably being directed towards repairing the GOB line and providing necessary diversions.

pompeyfan

Established Member

looks remarkably like the picture Paul Clifton shared, you didn’t happen to take a wander over to Campbell road shortly after did you?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

On 1T25 presumably? A well positioned derailment that takes out the Botley line as well...

Is the freight blocking an up direction move from P3 as well?

Monty

Established Member
looks remarkably like the picture Paul Clifton shared, you didn’t happen to take a wander over to Campbell road shortly after did you?

Don't think so, I have shared it with a few work colleagues but other than here I haven't shared anywhere else. I've had to stay with my train so I've not moved either.

Monty

Established Member
On 1T25 presumably? A well positioned derailment that takes out the Botley line as well...

Is the freight blocking an up direction move from P3 as well?

Yeah, there is nothing running from Botley it's blocking three running lines and number of turnouts. The track is completely trashed too, only been seeing things on the up through platform one albeit slowly.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yeah, there is nothing running from Botley it's blocking three running lines and number of turnouts. The track is completely trashed too, only been seeing things on the up through platform one albeit slowly.
Funnily enough I was thinking of going up to Eastleigh from Swanwick this afternoon, lucky I spotted this thread when I did...

pompeyfan

Established Member

from what I understand hook switches been opened to allow electric running on the up slow. Out of interest did the freight run in on the down fast and into platform 2? This could potentially allow Botley services to use the XS up to Allbrook.

Monty

Established Member
from what I understand hook switches been opened to allow electric running on the up slow. Out of interest did the freight run in on the down fast and into platform 2? This could potentially allow Botley services to use the XS up to Allbrook.

It's unlikely, the train is blocking the whole junction and there is severe damage to the track.

pompeyfan

Established Member
0V39 running empty into Winchester Baltic, I’d imagine this will attach to the rear and clear what it can?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's unlikely, the train is blocking the whole junction and there is severe damage to the track.
At what stage would the RAIB, (assuming they attend), allow the consist to be split? I suppose it wouldn’t necessarily allow the power to be restored though...

pompeyfan

Established Member
At what stage would the RAIB, (assuming they attend), allow the consist to be split? I suppose it wouldn’t necessarily allow the power to be restored though...

RAIB on-site already, damaged wagons reportedly fouling both the Portsmouth line and the Up Fast.

infobleep

Veteran Member
What are hook switches?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

Monty

Established Member
Pretty sure it gets it's name from the 'hook' you have to use to operate it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would imagine the SWML will take priority.
I'm sure it will but of course the resources you might expect to be deployed immediately to deal with the SWML will have to first switch task from the GOBLIN which will I assume take time as they'll need to pack themselves and their equipment up! So that will mean their response will be slower than it might be otherwise.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Pretty sure it gets it's name from the 'hook' you have to use to operate it.
Sounds highly likely. Presumably they’re only operated in “no load” conditions? Apologies if this is drifting off the main topic...

pompeyfan

Established Member
Sounds highly likely. Presumably they’re only operated in “no load” conditions? Apologies if this is drifting off the main topic...

I would expect they’re opened and closed during an isolation, I would be surprised if SOP allows them to be moved with current running through them.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I would expect they’re opened and closed during an isolation, I would be surprised if SOP allows them to be moved with current running through them.
Yes that’s what I thought, if you drew an arc the switch would be knackered in the process.

londonmidland

Established Member
5 wagons have derailed and it will take ‘several hours’ to re-rail them again. Certainly until at least the end of today will there be disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.