• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5 Reasons Your Train Photos Are Not Sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

After taking some railway photographs, if like me, sometimes you find out that one or two of them are not that sharp.

Some of the reasons why they are not that sharp is simple to change on your camera.

I hope that this 5 reasons your train photos are not sharp article will help you out.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
A point about AI Focus (I'm a Canon shooter)...

Sometimes, the camera will focus on and track the front of the train only; therefore, the front may be sharp, but the rest defocused/out of focus. Personally I can't rely on it but others might

Something that I didn't see mentioned was ISO speed. A higher ISO lets in more light, so good for shooting moving trains in low light. In the days of film, a higher ISO meant more grain (which was good sometimes...) but one can "push" ISO higher in modern digital cameras without noticeable grain

In addition, some cheap lenses will not give sharp pictures, especially those with maximum apertures of around f5.6. Some camera focus points won't even work below apertures of f4 or f2.8. Best to try a lens before you buy, and buy for purpose if you can afford it

Status
Not open for further replies.