• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50kV and High Capacity Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I am often talking about the advantages of third rail versus 25kV in certain low-power and low-speed scenarios. Where the low capital cost overwhelms the operational savings of 25kV.

Now, I want to talk about the other extreme.
Extremely high service density routes, especially new construction high speed rail alignments and potential future heavy freight routes (if such things are ever built, especially using high performance FMUs).

For example:
Take a HS2-type high speed rail alignment operating at 320kph and 18tph.
That means on average there is a train every ~20km on each line. So 10km in total.
A 400m double decker train could be drawing 11MWe average (assuming 0.033kWh/seat-km), and far more than that at peak.

That means on average you will be drawing 1.1MWe per route-km on average. Even with auto-transformer feeding the net current will be 22A/km. This very quickly becomes problematic if you attempt to use substation spacings of 60km or more as is standard practice for 25kV systems. You will end up drawing something like 1320A average at each feeding station.
The resistance of a typical overhead wiring cable is something like 0.15ohm/km.
And at these currents you start to get serious voltage drops on order of 200V/km on each of the conductors (both feed and return). Which doesn't sound like a lot but it could be dropping over a kilovolt (on each side) between the substation and the first auto transformer feed point. And the average ~400 extra amps flowing between the train and its nearest ATFs will add even more to that. It is going to get bad in the middle of the section in voltage terms.

We have reached the point where 25kV ATF electrification starts to lose its very high efficiency capability. You have two options - you can reduce the substation spacings and pay for additional grid access points which are very expensive and have a price that scales highly non-linearly with kilowattage..... or we can go to a higher voltage.

An obvious choice would be 50kV with ATF feed. I don't think such a system has ever been tried operationally but 50kV with booster transformers or rail return is used in South Africa and the US, and has been used in Canada in the past.

This cuts your currents by half to something a little more reasonable with only 660A or so at each feeding station. And cuts your resistive losses (which are starting to become unreasonable) by an even greater factor.

You could even be able to stand shifting your substations further apart, or your autotransformers further apart, so even though each substation might become more expensive (although I don't think swapping a 400kV/25-0-25kV transformer out for a 400kV/50-0-50kV and some 50kV circuit breakers in place of 25kV ones will break the bank. Those are still fairly mild by transmission voltage standards) you could have less of them.

In summary
- 50kV will start to overwhelm 25kV's advantages in terms of lower capital cost when we reach very high traffic densities. This critical density is approached in the example of HS2 should it reduce full capacity.

However the clearance issues that have surfaced with the loss of the 25kV derogation make the situation a bit more interesting. It seems unlikely that this derogation can be revived in the current political climate (someone will get themselves killed and people will scream about profit before people or something if the standard is reduced) however there is no extant European 50kV standard.

Given how conservative the 25kV standard now is, it is not entirely clear that a reasonably defined, and it would be defined by British engineers if we move first, 50kV standard would have enormously larger clearances than the new 25kV one does.

So its not even sure how much more a 50kV standard line would cost than a 25kV standard line - in the case of new construction the difference is surely negligible but a detailed study would have to be done in the case of electrification of existing lines.

And this is before we consider absurdities like 700m long double stack Freight multiple units moving at 90mph to kill road freight by moving goods cheaper and faster with fewer staff.

EIther way - I am not just a third rail fan - I believe in the best tool for the best job taking a whole problem approach. Especially now the problems that early dual voltage systems (25/6.25kV as an example) have had in the past seem to be behind us.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
I am often talking about the advantages of third rail versus 25kV in certain low-power and low-speed scenarios. Where the low capital cost overwhelms the operational savings of 25kV. ...

... EIther way - I am not just a third rail fan - I believe in the best tool for the best job taking a whole problem approach. Especially now the problems that early dual voltage systems (25/6.25kV as an example) have had in the past seem to be behind us.

In respect of 50kV, I agree that a case could be made for a fully self-contained route to have an OLE system optimised for its specific requirements. The problem with the only likely candidate in the UK is that even as a newly constructed line, the additional clearance requirements would be costly to satisfy through so many tunnels. The plans for classic compatible stock would create more problems as the rolling stock itself would need additional on-board pantograph/feeder clearance provision yet still need to thread its way through victorian infrastructure.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This from 2010 may be of interest:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse...11/17-12-2010 electrical loss on wcml (2).pdf

Page 25 states that:

Whilst the Booster Transformer is in common use on the UK electrification
network An Autotransformer system combines the benefit of a 50kV
transmission system with a standard 25kV distribution system to provide
traction power. The system comprises of standard 25kV Overhead Line
Equipment (OLE) with an additional pair of 25kV feeders, termed
Autotransformer Feeders (ATFs). The voltage on the ATF is in anti-phase to
that of the OLE, thus creating an effective 50kV transmission system

So the ATF system already effectively does this.

najaB

Veteran Member
So its not even sure how much more a 50kV standard line would cost than a 25kV standard line - in the case of new construction the difference is surely negligible but a detailed study would have to be done in the case of electrification of existing lines.
I would expect the difference in new-build costs to be a few percent - it's all the same stuff just a bit bigger. I can see it being worth it in places like the US with their kilometer long heavy goods trains, but I can't see the need for it the UK.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I guess a new train design could have a transformer with some sort of series/parallel configuration that could work from either voltage. But would 50kV compromise any of the clearances around the pantograph, especially on a classic compatible train where everything has to be squeezed into the envelope of the UK loading gauge?

Otherwise it just comes down to economics. Would the extra complication on the whole fleet of initial and later replacement rolling stock be worthwhile when only Phase 1 of HS2 is likely to approach that sort of traffic level. It's not in a remote area so Grid connections for extra feeders instead might not be too difficult.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I guess a new train design could have a transformer with some sort of series/parallel configuration that could work from either voltage. But would 50kV compromise any of the clearances around the pantograph, especially on a classic compatible train where everything has to be squeezed into the envelope of the UK loading gauge?
This is likely the limiting factor, it depends whether or not you can build a pantograph with an insulated arm. At which point the pantograph will not be able to flash over to the roof of the vehicle.
Otherwise it just comes down to economics. Would the extra complication on the whole fleet of initial and later replacement rolling stock be worthwhile when only Phase 1 of HS2 is likely to approach that sort of traffic level. It's not in a remote area so Grid connections for extra feeders instead might not be too difficult.

Well that depends on whether we expect the railway's growth to continue. At several percent per annum it would not take long for HS2 to be overwhelmed and require additional routes with similar traffic loads.

takno

Established Member
However the clearance issues that have surfaced with the loss of the 25kV derogation make the situation a bit more interesting. It seems unlikely that this derogation can be revived in the current political climate (someone will get themselves killed and people will scream about profit before people or something if the standard is reduced) however there is no extant European 50kV standard.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that in the absence of a railway derogation the standards which now apply are general electrical standards. There is a general standard for 50kv installations, and I believe it's the next category up from 25kv, meaning even higher clearances, possibly to the point where it can't effectively be used by railways at all.

furnessvale

Established Member
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that in the absence of a railway derogation the standards which now apply are general electrical standards. There is a general standard for 50kv installations, and I believe it's the next category up from 25kv, meaning even higher clearances, possibly to the point where it can't effectively be used by railways at all.

Perhaps not in the UK, but the Black Mesa and Lake Powell Railroad manages quite well.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

There is something like a thousand route kilometres of electrification at 50kV in use in South Africa and the US.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
And much larger loading gauges, and probably far fewer bridges as well.

In new construction this is not a particularily big issue.

Especially considering that high speed tunnels have large clearances for aerodynamic reasons and such.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Well that depends on whether we expect the railway's growth to continue. At several percent per annum it would not take long for HS2 to be overwhelmed and require additional routes with similar traffic loads.

HS2 phase 1 capacity is limited to around 18 trains per hour by signalling headway issues. Moving block signalling might increase this on plain line but junctions and stations would still be a constraint (Euston in particular). Additional routes would be similarly constrained, which suggests to me that they would remain within the range at which 25kV is close to optimum.

furnessvale

Established Member
HS2 phase 1 capacity is limited to around 18 trains per hour by signalling headway issues. Moving block signalling might increase this on plain line but junctions and stations would still be a constraint (Euston in particular). Additional routes would be similarly constrained, which suggests to me that they would remain within the range at which 25kV is close to optimum.

Indeed. Surely it would be cheaper to eventually provide additional feeds from the national grid as required than to build a new railway with all the additional clearance required for 50kv.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
HS2 phase 1 capacity is limited to around 18 trains per hour by signalling headway issues.
Spinoffs in train emergency braking from the FASTECH project in Japan indicates that higher performance on order of 24 trains per hour or more is likely achievable.

Additional routes would be similarly constrained, which suggests to me that they would remain within the range at which 25kV is close to optimum.

That depends on what happens with the speed and power demand of the trains in the future however.
Losses could easily approach 10-15% based on averaged demands, losses could easily be higher than this due to local power peaking.

Indeed. Surely it would be cheaper to eventually provide additional feeds from the national grid as required than to build a new railway with all the additional clearance required for 50kv.
The price of building a new construction railway at 50kV rather than 25kV is negligible however.
Building the railway with a couple of feet of extra clearance total is not going to enormously increase the price - the tunnels are already easily large enough for aerodynamic reasons.
Additionally adding more feeding points inevitably leads to massive NIMBY resistance associated with the extra feeding stations, 400kV circuits required to support it and supporting equipment. As well as the significantly increased cost.
It also makes it more difficult to respond to a feeder station being out of commission for maintenance or due to a fault in the equipment or the grid feeding it.
50kV would easily be capable of running a full service on HS2 with one feeder station, albeit with reduced efficiency.
25kV would not be able to do so.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
The price of building a new construction railway at 50kV rather than 25kV is negligible however.

Building the railway with a couple of feet of extra clearance total is not going to enormously increase the price - the tunnels are already easily large enough for aerodynamic reasons.
If you build with the clearances required for 50kV and the substations and feeding arrangements for 25kV then you get the best of both worlds. When you need to up capacity then just up the voltage. :)

If you build the feeding arrangements for 50kV then it's harder to upgrade.

ac6000cw

Established Member
It's quite interesting that after 50kV became briefly popular for newly-built freight lines (South Africa/USA/Canada) in the 70s & 80s, it's never been used for any of the many high-speed passenger lines built more recently.

I wonder if the need for longer insulators on the roof and longer-reach pantographs with greater side-to-side swing (needing wider heads) create too many aerodynamic/current collection problems at very high speeds?

QueensCurve

Established Member
I guess a new train design could have a transformer with some sort of series/parallel configuration that could work from either voltage.

When British rail tried a dual voltage system (25 or 6.25kv) The system sensed the lower voltage and switched out 3/4 of the transformer primary.

Problem with this was that any spurious low voltage detection could put 25kV across 1/4 of the winding - BOOM!

It was this that led to the tunnel experiments at Crewe, reduction of the required clearances and standardisation at 25kV.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The Swiss sytem is 15kV low frequency or 11kV on metre guage routes.

Sort of, whilst those are the two dominant systems there are numerous others in use in Switzerland.
There are minor swiss railways with virtually every electrification system ever seriously proposed ever.
With the notable exception of conductor rail systems.

XDM

Sort of, whilst those are the two dominant systems there are numerous others in use in Switzerland.
There are minor swiss railways with virtually every electrification system ever seriously proposed ever.

When I skied down Mt Blanc I am sure that when I reached ground level the Chamonix to Martigny(well into Switzerland) line was third rail conductor all the way. I stand corrected, if wrong, because I can't find our pictures & I was in shock,fear,elation from surviving one of Europe's scariest ski descents!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
When I skied down Mt Blanc I am sure that when I reached ground level the Chamonix to Martigny(well into Switzerland) line was third rail conductor all the way. I stand corrected, if wrong, because I can't find our pictures & I was in shock,fear,elation from surviving one of Europe's scariest ski descents!

The line into Chamonix is certainly conductor rail - but I wasn't aware it extended into Switzerland.

In that case it is truly a full house for electrification bingo. :D

edwin_m

Veteran Member

I think the Swiss side used to be third rail at least in part when I travelled it circa 1981, but it may have all been converted since. Wikipedia is unhelpful. The French side is third rail.

QueensCurve

Established Member

• 750V overhead/3rd rail Martigny to Chamonix
  • 750V overhead Berner Oberland Bahn (Interlaken to Grindlewald/Lauterbrunnen)
  • 1250 V 3 phase (Zermatt to Gornergrat)
  • 750 V 3 phase (Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch)
No doubt others as well.

QueensCurve

Established Member

The 3rd rail continues to the Swiss Border with the supply being transferred overhead on the approach to Martigny.

I have only travelled that way once, but I seem to recall that the changeover was made on the move. It is in any case the same DC current system just a different supply route.

Status
Not open for further replies.