• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5x Class 153 conversion to bike and baggage vans for Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Given this service has 10 mins at Anniesland, surely swapping paths is the answer? Oban at 0833 and Anniesland at 0836. ScotRail seem to have largely abandoned any pretence at exact clockface schedules over the last few years, at least around Glasgow, so a couple of minutes flexing on a counter peak service that likely carries fresh air is neither here or there.
one of my concerns with having it so soon is because of the long block sections north of Helensburgh, it may incur a long wait between Garelochhead & Arrochar. Whereas if you time it out at 08:53, it has a clear run to Westerton and north of Helensburgh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
Seeing discussions about the likely fate of 153s elsewhere reminds me that this thread has been in hibernation for nearly 4 months.

I'm hoping to be in Scotland later this year. Is there any chance one or two of these units could be running to Oban or Fort William by August? If not, what's happening to them?

Seeing discussions about the likely fate of 153s elsewhere reminds me that this thread has been in hibernation for nearly 4 months.

I'm hoping to be in Scotland later this year. Is there any chance one or two of these units could be running to Oban or Fort William by August? If not, what's happening to them?

The first one is due to move to Corkerhill soon to allow engineering staff to familiarise themselves with the 153 units. Once that is done it'll be made available for driver training. Due to the current pandemic restrictions all driver training in ScotRail is currently suspended and there is no scheduled date for a resumption. Unlikely to see the 153 in revenue earning service this year I think.

Journeyman

Established Member
The first one is due to move to Corkerhill soon to allow engineering staff to familiarise themselves with the 153 units. Once that is done it'll be made available for driver training. Due to the current pandemic restrictions all driver training in ScotRail is currently suspended and there is no scheduled date for a resumption. Unlikely to see the 153 in revenue earning service this year I think.
Is a 153 significantly different to a 156? Does it need much in the way of training?

dk1

Veteran Member
But remember, this is the railway. "Virtually the same" means "somewhat different" so, until people are trained on those differences, they aren't passed to drive 153s.
Oh of course & fully agree with that. We did 150/153s together. Had several extra days on 156s. When 150s briefly came back we where asked to have a quick few minutes scan in our break then paid several hours overtime for doing so.

JModulo

Brodie's posted an update on their LinkedIn page not long ago, I believe 1 - 3 are done and they are well through the 4th and 5th.

adamedwards

I hope they will be a big success and there will be more of them especially on the key link from Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness. They are the only ScotRail trains which will take a tandem so the only way for my disabled partner and me to get north of Glasgow.

scotraildriver

Established Member
I hope they will be a big success and there will be more of them especially on the key link from Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness. They are the only ScotRail trains which will take a tandem so the only way for my disabled partner and me to get north of Glasgow.
I'm afraid that's not going to happen. Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness are operated by HSTs which can't couple to a 153 (or anything else) and operate at 100mph.153s operate at 75mph max.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm afraid that's not going to happen. Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness are operated by HSTs which can't couple to a 153 (or anything else) and operate at 100mph.153s operate at 75mph max.
Crossing threads, but I thought they planned to start using the space in at least one power car for end-to-end bicycle transport. Has that been shelved?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Crossing threads, but I thought they planned to start using the space in at least one power car for end-to-end bicycle transport. Has that been shelved?
I thought they'd scrapped that, briefly considered using TGS to add into sets vice the extra TS and then decided not to bother with that either.

Essentially cycle accommodation remains at just 2, albeit a very tight squashed 2

scotraildriver

Established Member
It's being worked on but you'd still struggle to get a tandem in there. Lots of other gubbins in the way.

adamedwards

Tandems were carried in the TGS vehicles of HSTs by LNER, but I assume they are not used on the Inter7City version? My hope for Glasgow to Inverness was that any empty stock run for the 153s on the Far North Line might be run with passengers. Or will that be in the middle of the night?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Tandems were carried in the TGS vehicles of HSTs by LNER, but I assume they are not used on the Inter7City version? My hope for Glasgow to Inverness was that any empty stock run for the 153s on the Far North Line might be run with passengers. Or will that be in the middle of the night?
Indeed, Scotrail's Inter7City sets do not include TGS vehicles.

Would there be any empty stock moves for the 153s used on the Far North line? Will they not just be maintained at Inverness depot alongside the 158s?

scotraildriver

Established Member
They'll just be based at Inverness depot.

Speed43125

Hopefully what little training/familiarisation etc that's required will be able to occur smoothly soon.

They do look shiny enough though.

InOban

Established Member
I would have thought that it was more important to restart training of new drivers to alleviate the current shortage. As I understand there will be only three trains a day on the WHL this summer, so no services to which these units could be attached.

InOban

Established Member
Because the maximum length of WHL trains is 6 coaches. The 153s were to be added to the 2 coach Oban only trains.

scotraildriver

Established Member
I would have thought that it was more important to restart training of new drivers to alleviate the current shortage. As I understand there will be only three trains a day on the WHL this summer, so no services to which these units could be attached.
That is completely incorrect and training will start imminently.

berneyarms

Established Member
RTT is currently showing three combined services from Glasgow to Oban/Mallaig on weekdays in June, along with separate morning Mallaig & Oban to Glasgow services and two combined services.

However there is also a single Glasgow-Oban return service that could have the Class 153 attached to it leaving Glasgow at 10:34 and returning from Oban at 14:41.

craigybagel

Established Member
Hopefully what little training/familiarisation etc that's required will be able to occur smoothly soon.

They do look shiny enough though.

I can't speak for ScotRail but at my TOC conversion training to 153s for crews who already sign other types of Sprinter only takes one day. Quite a big pay off for one day of training - you won't achieve that much in a day with a trainee.

That saod, presumably ScotRail will only carry out said training if they actually have a use lined up for these units any time soon.

InOban

Established Member
RTT is currently showing three combined services from Glasgow to Oban/Mallaig on weekdays in June, along with separate morning Mallaig & Oban to Glasgow services and two combined services.

However there is also a single Glasgow-Oban return service that could have the Class 153 attached to it leaving Glasgow at 10:34 and returning from Oban at 14:41.
I had heard that there were to be only 3 trains.

doningtonphil

Apparently the first move from Kilmarnock to Corkerhill was due in previoius weeks but kept getting shelved as Network Rail were really nervous about gauging issues. This despite the fact that everything has had 20mm spacers in to lift the body up a little bit higher

Sulzer023

The Friends of the West Highland Line website is mentioning that the first 153 conversion should enter service in May. It also mentions that only Oban and Glasgow crews are being trained initially - does this mean these will not get to Fort William for the foreseeable future?

Status
Not open for further replies.