• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

6A11 (Robeston Sidings - Theale Murco) on fire near Llanelli (27/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dren Ahmeti

Had a message come through about 6A11 (2152 Robeston - Theale) on fire, specifically one of the wagons. Update: Multiple wagons.
Train is carrying petroleum, as it's the fuel flow between the oil refinery at Robeston and the fuel distribution terminal at Theale.

Video of the fire here: https://twitter.com/MarkDav96152735/status/1298769267584905218
Photos from nearby here: https://twitter.com/missjones1994/status/1298772128444092416

1V62, the next train booked on the Down District line (in the direction of Llanelli), reversed to Briton Ferry and diverted via the Landore avoider.

A wider view of the scene:
EgYqtIRXYAE08hN

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Just seen this announcement. Quite a substantial area evacuated I believe.

the sniper

Established Member
Nightmare. Feel for the people being evacuated, not something you'd be expecting at all!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Circa 1800t of loaded diesel oil, I sincerely hope not one sole is injured as a result of the initial derailment/impact/explosion, and of course the fire fighting operation.

Dren Ahmeti

Circa 1800t of loaded diesel oil, I sincerely hope not one sole is injured as a result of the initial derailment/impact/explosion, and of course the fire fighting operation.
Seems to be more in the range of 2300-2500t, not all are on fire currently.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Seems to be more in the range of 2300-2500t, not all are on fire currently.

6B13 is the big one, the job to Westerleigh the Theale one is generally shorter and lighter.

Either way let’s hope no one is even injured, probably the worst REC call you can get short of a nuclear incident.

Dren Ahmeti

6B13 is the big one, the job to Westerleigh the Theale one is generally shorter and lighter.

Either way let’s hope no one is even injured, probably the worst REC call you can get short of a nuclear incident.
Seems to be leaking a smaller amount than was thought, luckily, but the full picture will emerge in daylight.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Evacuation phase over, per tweet from Dyfed-Powys Police:

5:30AM UPDATE: The evacuation phase of the response has come to an end, and residents are now able to return home. We would like to thank people for complying with our officers, and for leaving their homes while the risk of the fire was assessed.

Peter Fox

From BBC web site: "Fire crews have told police three carriages of the train are on fire"
Who are these morons? Don't they know that should be "Fire crews have told police three wagons of the Thomas are on fire"

voyagerdude220

Established Member
From BBC web site: "Fire crews have told police three carriages of the train are on fire"
Who are these morons? Don't they know that should be "Fire crews have told police three wagons of the Thomas are on fire"

The first I knew about this incident was from hearing about it during the 06:00 news on BBC Radio 2 this morning. I remember them quoting about "three carriages of the train having been on fire." which gave me the impression it had been a passenger working involved. Admittedly I was driving at the time, so wasn't giving my full attention to the radio.

More here from Wales on Line:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-53927802

A freight train carrying diesel has derailed and burst into flames.

People living within 800m of the blaze in Llangennech, near Llanelli in Carmarthenshire, were evacuated from their homes on Wednesday night, but have since been allowed to return.

Natural Resources Wales is assessing the impact of the diesel spill.

The two workers who were on board the train have been accounted for and no injuries have been reported, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
What’s the procedure for the driver and loco in incidents like this? Driver to evacuate as quickly as possible?

Uncouple the loco and move away from the wagons? I’d presume there wouldn’t be enough time to do this and the priority is the driver’s safety, but just wondering if there are any protocols in place to try and protect the loco/prevent the fire spreading to it.

dk1

Veteran Member
What’s the procedure for the driver and loco in incidents like this? Driver to evacuate as quickly as possible?

Uncouple the loco and move away from the wagons? I’d presume there wouldn’t be enough time to do this and the priority is the driver’s safety, but just wondering if there are any protocols in place to try and protect the loco/prevent the fire spreading to it.
If it involves anything flammable you get the hell out of there. The loco would be the least of my worries.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Good grief, nothing like poor reporting to get people panicking especially in light of recent times!

M!T

When a petroleum train derailed in Summit Tunnel in 1984 the crew uncoupled 47125 and the first three wagons and drove them out. Regarding this incident, one of the pics on the BBC website appears to show a 66 with some wagons and the fire glowing in the distant background, so the same may have happened here, or the front portion of train has travelled some distance after part of it has derailed.

JN114

Established Member
When a petroleum train derailed in Summit Tunnel in 1984 the crew uncoupled 47125 and the first three wagons and drove them out. Regarding this incident, one of the pics on the BBC website appears to show a 66 with some wagons and the fire glowing in the distant background, so the same may have happened here, or the front portion of train has travelled some distance after part of it has derailed.

Although if my geography isn’t letting me down, that 66 would appear to have attached to wagons that would have been on the rear of the train - presumably through some effort to move them from an exclusion zone perhaps?

6A11 is down in TRUST as having been hauled by a Class 60 (60062), which would lend some credence to that 66 not being the train engine, but some additional rescue resource.

M!T

It certainly looks like the train is pointing the "wrong" way, so unless the original train was running on the "wrong" line, that's entirely possible.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The BBC headline calls it a "diesel train" without mentioning it was a freight train carrying diesel fuel.
I certainly began reading thinking it was a passenger train (eg another class 175 fire).
Also the piece said nothing about the train's route or formation, or even where the accident was in relation to the main line.

pdeaves

Established Member
The BBC headline calls it a "diesel train" without mentioning it was a freight train carrying diesel fuel.
In fairness, that's a limitation of the English language. An aggregates train is a train carrying aggregates; a passenger train is a train carrying passengers; a diesel train is a train carrying diesel.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Although if my geography isn’t letting me down, that 66 would appear to have attached to wagons that would have been on the rear of the train - presumably through some effort to move them from an exclusion zone perhaps?

6A11 is down in TRUST as having been hauled by a Class 60 (60062), which would lend some credence to that 66 not being the train engine, but some additional rescue resource.

60062 is/was the train loco, the 1Z99 (66) sent to remove the unaffected rear portion.

Reports are there where to drivers onboard, who uncoupled the loco to enable quicker escape than on foot - I don’t blame them!

Two well earned medals I reckon.

SteveM70

Established Member

From memory, the remarkable thing about the Summit fire was that the crew, having evacuated the tunnel, then went back in a while later to uncouple the front wagons and get them out of the tunnel. Stunningly brave

RAPC

In fairness, that's a limitation of the English language. An aggregates train is a train carrying aggregates; a passenger train is a train carrying passengers; a diesel train is a train carrying diesel.

Indeed and to be fair to the BBC, the first line of the story (which is also bolded) is "A freight train carrying diesel has derailed and burst into flames."

Anonymous10

Established Member
Hi was wondering what kind of damage to the rails and the delays that can be expected due to the major freight train fire which set multiple diesel containers and cars alight (smoke still coming up this morning )

Status
Not open for further replies.