• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

73101 / E6007 outshopped date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetro

Hi, would anyone know the date when 73101 / E6007 was outshopped at Newton-le-Willows? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
‘Noted complete and awaiting despatch from Vulcan Foundry on 2/10/65. 75D 10/10/65.’ (Source: The Allocation History of BR Diesels & Electrics, Third and Final Edition; Roger Harris; self published; 2004.)

McMetro

Thanks everyone :D

‘Noted complete and awaiting despatch from Vulcan Foundry on 2/10/65. 75D 10/10/65.’ (Source: The Allocation History of BR Diesels & Electrics, Third and Final Edition; Roger Harris; self published; 2004.)
Thanks, would that be a date of 10/10/65 on shed?

McMetro

Hmm ok. I suppose I will have to settle for a date of either the 10th or 13th. With a locomotive completion date of the 2nd. Thanks for your help everyone :D

Gloster

Established Member
Hmm ok. I suppose I will have to settle for a date of either the 10th or 13th. With a locomotive completion date of the 2nd. Thanks for your help everyone :D
I would comment that Roger Harris’ books seem to be based on a thorough combing of various magazines, so many dates are the result of reports, rather than being official ones.

Taunton

Established Member
There was a photo at the time in Modern Railways of a brand new Class 73 leaving Vulcan Works hauled by a brand new Class 37. Both were being built there at the same time. Quite possibly it could have been this one, the first of the Class 73 batch. Someone whose old mags are more accessible than mine can maybe find it and identify the two locos.

Regarding Roger Harris' books, if he took data from what was given each month in Ian Allan mags, then like many IA publications this was just a reprint of official BR documents, so as reliable as those were. Other publications, such as by RCTS, relied more on members' sightings.

Gloster

Established Member
Regarding Roger Harris' books, if he took data from what was given each month in Ian Allan mags, then like many IA publications this was just a reprint of official BR documents, so as reliable as those were. Other publications, such as by RCTS, relied more on members' sightings.
My interpretation of the comments in the introduction to Roger Harris’ books is that he has gone through just about every source he can find, including the RCTS journals. He has not just relied on a single source.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
SR, at that time, used to do their stock alterations w.e.f. a Sunday (the LMR did theirs w.e.f. a Saturday) and the Harris book that covers the 73 fleet seems to have them coming in on Sundays.

The best non-original source I have for new dates at that time are the SLS Journals. Mine are in store but I should be able to access them in the next few days.

Update:

SLS December 1965 page 360.

“SR Alteration List dated 25th October 1965

New: E6007 ex Vulcan 75D 10/10.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.