• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

cogload

Two grade 5 panels at Basingstoke ASC (at the station, no signalling in the ROC yet)
Dorset Coast covers Parkstone - Moreton
West of England covers Hunts Path (between Tisbury and Gillingham) - Whimple

' unttssss paaaaatttthhhhh.

100 cows to cross. 5 minutes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackboy

Not an official one. There used to be the '52 week rule' that some managers enforced, but it's not a written rule.

(The '52 week rule' was to stop people taking a job and moving on in a short space of time, especially if it involved a different manager.
Thanks for this piece of information. Progress should always be encouraged specially if you're internal.

If I get offered Grade 9 and if it gets difficult to get out. I guess RMT will be with me, after all thats why we pay for the subscription.

Macca89

Good morning guys

Any help/advise would be much appreciated here.

Basically I’ve got my video interview for the East Midlands future opportunities position on this coming Thursday, I received my tests via email a few days ago (the scenario test and SHL tests) and annoyingly with work I just haven’t had the time to free up to be fully concentrated to crack on with them, that includes this weekend. The deadline for completing them is tonight at 11:55pm.

I’m after and extension time limit to complete these tests, I’ve emailed the recruitment team and also called the help desk however recruitment aren’t in over the weekend.

Does anyone know if there’s a good chance I’d be given an extension if I contacted them Monday morning?

I could possibly get them done later today but I won’t be fully focused because of the work I’ve got on and ideally I don’t want to be rushing them.

Thanks in advance

7Paul7

I would hazard a guess at no, given that some of the key NTS that network rail look for are multi task capability, the ability to work under pressure ,

gareth386

Good morning guys

Basically I’ve got my video interview for the East Midlands future opportunities position on this coming Thursday, I received my tests via email a few days ago (the scenario test and SHL tests) and annoyingly with work I just haven’t had the time to free up to be fully concentrated to crack on with them, that includes this weekend. The deadline for completing them is tonight at 11:55pm.

I’m after and extension time limit to complete these tests, I’ve emailed the recruitment team and also called the help desk however recruitment aren’t in over the weekend.

Does anyone know if there’s a good chance I’d be given an extension if I contacted them Monday morning?

I could possibly get them done later today but I won’t be fully focused because of the work I’ve got on and ideally I don’t want to be rushing them.

Thanks in advance

Currently any job within Network Rail is extremely coveted. They have applications from the Police, Fire Service, Armed Forces, teachers and a hell of a lot of other profession's, they pretty much have the pick of the crop so to speak.
They will have hundreds of applications for most vacancies.
You're showing that you're not invested in the job, you can't be bothered to make time to persue this career, that doesn't look good as the 1st impression of you.
I would be very surprised if they gave you an extension. May sound harsh sorry but that's the reality unfortunately.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks for this piece of information. Progress should always be encouraged specially if you're internal.

If I get offered Grade 9 and if it gets difficult to get out. I guess RMT will be with me, after all thats why we pay for the subscription.

Well yes, but like I say be very very wary of kicking up about something like this.

Macca89

Wow, no need to be so judgemental guys

I asked a pretty simple question, no need to judge me on that.

Just needed a yes or a no from someone in the know.

Obviously if I can’t then I’ll just have to crack on and and smash it out tonight before deadline like I’m sure many have had to do being tight for time in their own lives.

Was simply asking the question, you don’t ask you don’t get.

Thomas keeble

The job labelled “Aberthaw” was a mistake, it’s actually the St Fagans Level Crossing Workstation at SWCC Cardiff.

Im told there’s been in excess of 200 applicants for a single job as well.
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not surprised with the number of applicants, I think for most networkrail jobs the applicant count is pretty high.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Wow, no need to be so judgemental guys

I asked a pretty simple question, no need to judge me on that.

Just needed a yes or a no from someone in the know.

Obviously if I can’t then I’ll just have to crack on and and smash it out tonight before deadline like I’m sure many have had to do being tight for time in their own lives.

Was simply asking the question, you don’t ask you don’t get.

Quite

The OP’s just asking a question, we all have busy times in our lives there’s no need to be excessively critical. Remember a large part of the job of signallers is asking questions and finding out if things are possible, rather than just automatically saying no to any question that is asked, so I would have thought this would be a quality to be celebrated rather than bemoaned. I don’t think that police...etc necessarily constitute the “cream of the crop”, nor are they automatically seen as such by all but the laziest of recruiters, but that’s another moan for another time.

To answer the question the question can certainly be asked but I’m afraid the answer is likely to be no, especially since Network Rail HR is very disjointed and can often take days to reply. Unfortunately the only solution I can see is doing the tests tonight, I’m afraid. Stay hydrated and take a few minutes before starting/in between to clear your head and I’m sure you’ll be fine

Pancakes84

Good morning guys

Thanks in advance

I also would doubt they would extend it for you and I wouldn’t want to risk it if I was you.
I did my tests on Wednesday and they are better than I thought. Don’t over stress the scenario interview, they talk you through it and it’s quite straightforward and the SHL test takes about 20mins.
If you can free yourself up for an hour and a half you should be fine.

Good luck :)

batesy71

Good afternoon everyone.

I have an interview for the East Mids future opportunities coming up soon. I selected Lincoln, Market Rasen and Derby as my preferred locations as they are the nearest time wise.

Forgive me if this is a daft question, but, I have been trying to do my research on the signalling locations but I am struggling to find any information regarding signalling at Market Rasen. Could anyone point me in the right direction where I can find said informtaion?
All I am coming up with is that the signal box closed down and has been relocated to Quorn and Woodhouse. Is this correct?

Alan

nom de guerre

Not that I’m aware of, no. You may piss off the Grade 7 LOM however, never a good idea to burn your bridges you never know when you might want their help.

This (from someone who once burned their bridges in similar fashion!).

If you want the G9 and are planning to stay there for a while, go for it. Just be aware, as Tom says, that you may go on the G7 LOM’s blacklist for the foreseeable...

London allowance within 16 miles of Charing Cross is about £3200. On top of that will be a London Operational Supplement which is about £1600. The London allowance is pensionable but not the LOS iirc

Inner = £3270
LAOS = £1260

(On my payslip anyway!)

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Good afternoon everyone.

I have an interview for the East Mids future opportunities coming up soon. I selected Lincoln, Market Rasen and Derby as my preferred locations as they are the nearest time wise.

Forgive me if this is a daft question, but, I have been trying to do my research on the signalling locations but I am struggling to find any information regarding signalling at Market Rasen. Could anyone point me in the right direction where I can find said informtaion?
All I am coming up with is that the signal box closed down and has been relocated to Quorn and Woodhouse. Is this correct?

Alan
Yes. It's there...GCR link

The nearest boxes on the Market Rasen line, in that area, are Holton-le-Moor or Wickenby; with the next box (towards Lincoln) being Langworth.

Trackboy

This (from someone who once burned their bridges in similar fashion!).

If you want the G9 and are planning to stay there for a while, go for it. Just be aware, as Tom says, that you may go on the G7 LOM’s blacklist for the foreseeable...

This sounds like LOM takes it personally not a good thing. So much of talking fair and inclusiveness. After all we all want to progress. I will keep you guys posted how it all goes. Thanks for the best of the advice.

SignallerJohn

Don’t just look at the pay for the role, I’ve seen people come and go because it’s too difficult and they just wanted to earn the big bucks.

BigRob21

Good afternoon folks, just had my dates for training school. Anyone else heading to Walsall on 2nd November?

Also, for those who have already completed the training, Do you find out hotel arrangements in advance of attending the school or are these given out on the first day?

Many thanks

matty1984

Close call with my medical, however another hurdle passed. Due to bring diabetic I've been passed fit, level 5 accompanied. Does anyone know how this will effect my role? So far all I know is I'm not aloud to be alone while working live.
I'm due to start in Westbury as a grade 6.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Close call with my medical, however another hurdle passed. Due to bring diabetic I've been passed fit, level 5 accompanied. Does anyone know how this will effect my role? So far all I know is I'm not aloud to be alone while working live.
I'm due to start in Westbury as a grade 6.

Basically it means your fit to undertake the role, however you’ll have to work multimanned locations due to your condition or you LOM will have to undertake a risk assessment, no big drama im the same.

Qball

Does anyone have shift pattern for Scarborough line? Or an example of 9hr 15 min roster.

Last edited:

matty1984

Basically it means your fit to undertake the role, however you’ll have to work multimanned locations due to your condition or you LOM will have to undertake a risk assessment, no big drama im the same.
Nice one, cheers mate! Just waiting for the all clear from my sample and a call from my LOM and away we go!

headshot119

Established Member
Does anyone have shift pattern for Scarborough line? Or an example of 9hr 15 min roster.

Basic pattern is:

S M T W T F S
Off RD RD E E E E
E E E RD RD L L
L L L L L RD RD

With other "random" rest days built into the cycle to bring you down to a 35 hour average.

NoEyeDeer

Hi,

very happy to say I got offered the job in Stonehaven this morning. Pending pre employment checks.

just wondering if anyone knows if Stonehaven work on a 8 hour or 12 hour roster? Maybe someone knows. We will see :)