• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

StuBob

Hello all,
Long time lurker, first time poster! After the decimation of the aviation industry, and getting made redundant from my training to be an Air Traffic Controller, I was looking for something with some transferable skills, and Signaller seemed perfect!

I just wanted to thank everyone that’s posted over the years, recently been successful in my application for G7 Signaller at Feltham. The help on this forum is invaluable!

I start IST at Basingstoke on the 22nd (is anyone else on it?)

Thanks!

Congrats Tom, I'm recenlty come across the role of signaller as an alternative to ATC being in the same boat as one of the current TATC's being made redundant. You must be close to completing intial training element of the role now, how have you found it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomJet87

Congrats Tom, I'm recenlty come across the role of signaller as an alternative to ATC being in the same boat as one of the current TATC's being made redundant. You must be close to completing intial training element of the role now, how have you found it?
Hey, yeah I finished IST about 3 weeks ago. It’s hard going, I’d say theory wise it’s about the same, however crammed into 3 months instead of 9 ish months at the college. If you’ve got any questions, feel free to drop me a DM.

StuBob

Hey, yeah I finished IST about 3 weeks ago. It’s hard going, I’d say theory wise it’s about the same, however crammed into 3 months instead of 9 ish months at the college. If you’ve got any questions, feel free to drop me a DM.
Great to hear Tom, the role right through from methods of entry, training and job spec seems to mirror what we done at NATS so it would be great to get that opportunity with NR.

I will PM as soon as I hit that magic 5 posts.

TomJet87

Great to hear Tom, the role right through from methods of entry, training and job spec seems to mirror what we done at NATS so it would be great to get that opportunity with NR.

I will PM as soon as I hit that magic 5 posts.
No worries. Have you applied for anything yet?

Dan1982

Hello
I'm new to the forum, I have been viewing for a little while as I'm trying to get a job on the railway. I have applied for a grade 3 signaller position at Helpston box on East Coast main line. It sounds like a busy crossing and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of it?
Thanks

ArchangelA

Has anyone here applied for a signallers job lately and gone through the new online testing processes yet? I'm eager to know what your experience of the new tests was, whether you were successful or not and how long did it take NWR to tell you the result. What if any other processes you were asked to complete afterwards (without going into detail about the actual tests or interviews).

High Dyke

Established Member
Hello
I'm new to the forum, I have been viewing for a little while as I'm trying to get a job on the railway. I have applied for a grade 3 signaller position at Helpston box on East Coast main line. It sounds like a busy crossing and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of it?
Thanks
Not directly, my area is adjacent. However, yes it is rather busy with a number of CCTV level crossings to operate, as well as be responsible for the crossing keeper at Woodcroft. The box covers the ECML and also the Midland route to/from Stamford.

Dan1982

Not directly, my area is adjacent. However, yes it is rather busy with a number of CCTV level crossings to operate, as well as be responsible for the crossing keeper at Woodcroft. The box covers the ECML and also the Midland route to/from Stamford.
Thanks for the info, would love to get it.

Trickster10

Newbie here but not to the railway.
Coming from an S&T background looking for a switch over to signalling and have a few applications ongoing including one I have an interview for.

Am I likely to fall into the category of having signaller questions or just the standard NTS questions?

Also does anybody have a list of the WMSCC panels and grades please :)

Munrowalker95

Hi guys, first post. I recently applied for a signalling role for one of the Stirling area vacancies. Filled in the application, got sent an email to complete the Aon tests and the video interview which I've done. Then I got sent another email inviting me to a live interview next week. However yesterday I got another email asking me to do the Aon tests and a video interview. It looks exactly the same email as the one I did a couple of weeks ago when I did both to progress to the live interview. My question is could this be a mistake receiving this email, should I email them back etc? Any reply will be appreciated

Buiadh

Hi guys, first post. I recently applied for a signalling role for one of the Stirling area vacancies. Filled in the application, got sent an email to complete the Aon tests and the video interview which I've done. Then I got sent another email inviting me to a live interview next week. However yesterday I got another email asking me to do the Aon tests and a video interview. It looks exactly the same email as the one I did a couple of weeks ago when I did both to progress to the live interview. My question is could this be a mistake receiving this email, should I email them back etc? Any reply will be appreciated
I got the same mate, I emailed recruitment who told me it was a mistake and I had no more tests to do.

Might be worth you dropping them an email though just to make sure.

C00k1e

Good morning folks,
I have been fortunate to be invited to interview for upcoming vacancies at Guildford/ Woking. After reading through this thread and researching 10 life saving rules, non technical skills with examples for each and researching Network Rail company info both nationally, regionally and the Wessex route and the role of a signaller is there anything else that people would recommend I look into? I’m a bit worried that I don’t know enough about the Guildford and Woking locations so if anyone is prepared to share some knowledge in this area I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, it is fantastic to be able to access information directly from experienced people already in the industry. Cheers.

Exscrew

Good morning folks,
I have been fortunate to be invited to interview for upcoming vacancies at Guildford/ Woking. After reading through this thread and researching 10 life saving rules, non technical skills with examples for each and researching Network Rail company info both nationally, regionally and the Wessex route and the role of a signaller is there anything else that people would recommend I look into? I’m a bit worried that I don’t know enough about the Guildford and Woking locations so if anyone is prepared to share some knowledge in this area I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, it is fantastic to be able to access information directly from experienced people already in the industry. Cheers.
The interview will focus on the NTS almost completely, I was not asked any questions about the box or line I applied for. Cheers

Rockhopper

But you'd be taking a huge risk if you didn't know something about where you might be working. I've heard of plenty of people who were asked questions about the line and box and which companies use the line etc. All depends on the team interviewing you.

Defenestrate

Good morning folks,
Would be worth knowing some stations and train operators etc that you'll deal with in that area, but there's no guarantee you'll be asked about those things in particular. I was once asked to list some types of infrastructure, so bridges, tunnels, rails, signals etc. Some interviews will be simply the 8 NTS and safety, some might add some extra questions too...it's clearly better to be over prepared than under!

Buiadh

Got my rejection through with feedback that some of my interview responses weren't as good as others and that I hadn't prepared them well. I had prepared a list of around 20 prospective questions that I thought would come up taken from the NTS list but sadly there were a few questions asked that curve-balled me!

Absolutely gutted right now but I want to try again.

Anyone had an interview recently able to drop me a message as I just want to check a couple of things.

Cheers.

danners430

Got my rejection through with feedback that some of my interview responses weren't as good as others and that I hadn't prepared them well. I had prepared a list of around 20 prospective questions that I thought would come up taken from the NTS list but sadly there were a few questions asked that curve-balled me!

Anyone had an interview recently able to drop me a message as I just want to check a couple of things.

Cheers.
I will say right off the bat, don't feel disheartened - there are many stories on this and other forums that say you're highly unlikely to get the job on your first attempt - it can often take multiple, even tens of attempts.

Keep your chin up, and best of luck for if you decide to go for it again!

Buiadh

I will say right off the bat, don't feel disheartened - there are many stories on this and other forums that say you're highly unlikely to get the job on your first attempt - it can often take multiple, even tens of attempts.

Keep your chin up, and best of luck for if you decide to go for it again!
Cheers pal, it feels rubbish just now but I'll push onwards and upwards!

My only worry is that it may be some time before another vacancy appears in this part of the country!

danners430

Cheers pal, it feels rubbish just now but I'll push onwards and upwards!

My only worry is that it may be some time before another vacancy appears in this part of the country!
I wouldn't feel too worried about that... From experience, there seem to be positions in Scotland every few months at least.

ArchangelA

Cheers.
Sorry to hear that mate. Where did you apply for?

EX-Counsel

Cheers.
I had an interview for Gloucester a couple weeks back. I'm still waiting to hear whether I've been successful or not. I'm happy to discuss the interview if you want to drop me a message bud.

As a side note:
If anyone has info on the Gloucester position or has interviewed for it, let me know! I would love to hear what other people made of the interview

Defenestrate

Reference NTS interview questions (external):
The initial 69 questions that ask for an example are pretty good guidelines of what you might expect.

89jordanbj

Note to mods: Not necessarily a 'career as a signaller' question, so feel free to remove if breaking rules.

I have a few T3's on this coming week and on one of them it states 'possession cut for TRV558'.. Could any signallers on here tell me what this means?

Have checked with the more experienced workers in the box but they have not come across this before either.

Cheers

CB 1-2-1

Note to mods: Not necessarily a 'career as a signaller' question, so feel free to remove if breaking rules.

I have a few T3's on this coming week and on one of them it states 'possession cut for TRV558'.. Could any signallers on here tell me what this means?

Have checked with the more experienced workers in the box but they have not come across this before either.

Cheers
Hi,

Check the WON! It should have a protected path for a TRV (Usually 1Q or 3Q Headcode) They are the yellow trains that scan and record the track for defects. Possessions have to be shortened or given up for it pass.

Rubble

Hi, can anyone give me information on West Midlands Signalling Center. I’m wanting a job there & want to know what it is like.

What TOCS/FOCS run/frequency?
Which boxes it work to?
How many people work in one shift?
How many running lines/loops/sidings/crossings?

I assume it is 24 hours, grade 6 and westcad.